Classical Greek Cont. & Ext. Class of 07 (1 Viewer)

Mr Gumby

HSC
I'm wondering why he knows the words for 'love', 'sailor' and 'whore' specifically. He doesn't put them together does he, like 'nautas et meretrices amo'? I hope not.

Who says we were saying anything about any of you?

I don't think Julia will have a problem with getting over 99. At Grammar last year 43 boys got over 99. I don't know about this year, but I'm pretty sure she's considerably smarter than the 43rd ranked boy this year. I'm also pretty sure Steph will crack 90.

You find lots of things wrong with Odysseus when you apply the 'sacred feminine' theory to him? Maybe that's because he's not a female? In any case, you're all pretty obsessed with this idea, aren't you? It sounds like something from the Da Vinci Code.

I'm ignoring what you said about the Aeneid. And Jeremy, I'll drop it if you drop it if you drop it. I think we probably said that about a month ago). I think you're right, Dr Stevens did call Ross and I attention seekers. That's probably because we're also attention getters. Jeremy tries to get attention but just gets ignored.

HSC
He did Latin apparently in the South African equivalent of yr 7 and I don't think he somehow kept it up afterwards. XD
Bahahaha thankfully no! He does somehow know word order "Quintus boy is" <---as he says, but no he's never really tried to construct a sentence in front of me. And since it's my dad and naturally I'm hopefully from the same gene pool the whole knowing rude/funny words above other more useful things is perfectly normal.
I will actually ask him to demonstrate his complete knowledge of latin when I feel like it.

It's been implied that you lot have been saying stuff about us? >> << >>

Erm. I somehow doubt it. If I was still doing as well as I used to do in the younger years I would probably say "Well duh" but seeing as I crashed during the worst possible years, (Yr 11 I went downhill in well every aspect of me), I'm somehow beginning to doubt it. This is within good reason all my school assessments have been REALLY REALLY REALLY bad. (probably would have done better at a co-ed school because I used to get really competitive with the boys and it paid off in primary school)

No I'm the only one obsessed the other two are more "Um Steph how are you going to apply this to EVERY essay?".
No silly, I can't remember how I'm referring to the male counterpart, probably the 'ultimate' male or something, things being found wrong with him involves both male and female.

Yeah it is a theory mentioned in the Da Vinci code but the Da Vinci Code didn't make it up and you can apply it in lots of places. That book's overrated anyway (says Dad) and I agree with him despite liking it when it came out.

It's probably a good idea if you ignore because I don't think I really want to be killed right now. Then again if you did hunt me down and kill me I wouldn't have to do the HSC which is FINE by me! XD

HSC
I've heard about Ross inviting himself to our formal (XDDD), your telling people that we're all partnering up for formal and other things.
O___o. Actually, why were you talking about our formal?

You don't think I'll have a problem getting over 99? Well, I guess I'll probably be able to prove you wrong in one thing...

da Vinci Code should go die in a hole. Preferably a fiery death. Mmhm.

Last edited:

antiphon

HSC
Olson: I already dropped it!
*shakes head* excuse me, I like being out of the centre of attention. like Papa. I'm just a little more scathing than him. :)

and unfortunately, being smarter does not automatically translate into a high UAI. sad thing about the HSC...

HSC
Jeremy and Nicholas: Stop avoiding our QUESTIONS.

And yay I feel even more screwed for the HSC!

Kayley: EXCUSE ME but they're bitching about us and it's very important to find out what they're bitching about...and OMG WHY DON'T YOU GO STUDY!?!? XD

Ki: Shut up! Nicholas is right you know!

Does that mean the Da Vinci code will end up in the Thucy bonfire?

Guess what!? They have a new Civ Expansion pack with new leaders and all this REALLY good stuff! You can now be Boudica and Pericles and people like that and fight zombies and gods so I'm uber happy! I'm locking myself in my room for at least 2 weeks when I get it!

HSC
Oh dear Steph XD

Hey, I just found out I need to spend a week in Melbourne for the TEFL course - looks like I'll be visiting Emmy :3

He can't always be right :p

Well...As much as I want to burn Thucy, the fact it cost so much is making me have second thoughts ):

HSC
Brother says he'll get it for me, hopefully soon...when the HSC over...in fact he just moaned at me "Not NOW".

TEFL course!? WHat's that!? OOOO Melbourne though!!! When are you going!? YAY you get to see Emmy and you can go shopping on Chapel Street. *noddity* XD

Yeah I know he's wrong about a lot of things...my intellectual capacity for one, but seeing that I also say you'll get over 99 and seeing that I'm always right, so NYEH. >P <----how cute is that emo?

Oh yeah, I don't think my mother would be impressed with that...oh well at least it was cheaper than the $90 Electra. XD

antiphon

HSC
Civ? as in, Civilisations?

and there's so much said that I've lost track of what the questions were.

heh. I'm not going to say you won't have a problem getting over 99, but it's possible. I mean, look at some of the people in our year who will probably get over 99...
and they, the poor fools (or lucky fools, depending on how you look at it), don't do Greek.

HSC
Yep Civ as in Sid Meyer's Civilisations. Have you ever played any?

Well basically questions along the lines of what did you 3 say about us the other day? This and also Ki's question of why you were talking about our formal?

So now that you know what they are, you have to answer them. XD

I'd say lucky fools. The HSC isn't a test of intelligence. It's a test of how much you can retain mentally and how well you can regurgitate fed information on a piece of paper. It's also how well you can cope with exams. It's nothing to do with how you think and how smart you really are. Take the LatComp for example, not mentioning any names, but I do recall people doing that who normally get pretty close to top marks in class tests doing well, absolutely abysmally in that type of spontaneous "how much can you apply?" tests. >P

I'm hoping I do a Courtney (my friend who left 2 years ago) "I have no idea how I got 98.05...it just happened!". And she did no maths, no classics and really normal/low scaling subjects 4 Eng, Bio, Modern Hist and Drama I think she did?

And guys, I know this is hypocritical of me to say this considering, but I'd say we're all pretty damn smart for surviving god knows how many years of Latin and Greek, being able to do well in it at some stage and still haven't absolutely CONKED it yet. XD (Well I'm getting close to conking it)

So we really shouldn't beat our selves up if we have geography doing food techers getting "higher" marks than we are, because I'm sorry we're doing subjects that are way more intellectually challenging. >D

Mr Gumby

HSC
Your formal? I think Ross raised it. So who is going with him, or are Steph and Zara still going together? I only ask because I would be very jealous if I knew Ross was going with someone else. I don't think the conversation about you extended much beyond you wanting to godmother our children.

Hrmph (Jeremy knows the sound I'm making). Civilisation. Yes, as surprising as you may find it, I have played that game. Civ III, I think. I was a bit pissed off that the portraits of Caesar and Alexander both looked rather gay. I always found it fun killing Aztecs and Egyptians.

You're right, exams aren't a test of intelligence. That's the only explanation for Forgacs not being dux every exam.

Point to an occasion that you know of where I've been wrong about something, Steph. And no, you can't ask Jeremy.

HSC
Of course Zara and I are still going together on account of we're getting married etc! And Ki's going with Spuddles, isn't she?

Tell Ross you're only supposed to start having the affairs properly once you're married! Gee Zara and I should give you guys couple councelling because our relationship is just perfect!

You played Civ III? I'm beaming with proudness I used to play it all the time until my life was RUINED with Civ IV! Yeah, I suppose? I always thought the Caesar portrait was kinda woodgy. In Civ IV it's still fun to kill the Aztecs especially! I'm normally a cultural player, meaning I become the largest and the most cultural civilisation on the planet and then when I've depleated all other cultural and scientific options, I build up a massive army with modern armours and nukes and KILL them ALL. XD

Exactly, that's why I hate exams because I feel like they aren't really proving anything besides who can survive getting stressed and working under pressure. I'd much rather be given something that's completely unprepared for and you just do it. Less stress that way.

Easy, you saying I'm smart/will do well! So there! Actually good idea should ask Jeremy too! XD

HSC
Your being wrong, easy :3 You keep calling me normal.
And you got Livy grammar questions wrong.
So there.

Yes, I'm going with Spud. I hope she remembers XDD.
If not, I shall just have to take Lama, the wife :3

Could I steal your lots trial journeys essay questions please? Thanks :3

ANDANDAND
eudaimonia...wait, wrong language.
Good luck all.

antiphon

HSC
ask me what?

and no, I haven't played Civilisations. I don't like that sort of game.

heh. our Trial Journeys question was, "Do you perceive journeys as having the power to transform us by offering an insight into ourselves and the world around us?"
in your answer refer to....blah blah

yes. good luck, everyone. (maybe excepting Olson, who doesn't need it.)

HSC
I think it was an occasion when he's been wrong.

Hmm. Can anyone scane lines 66 and 646 for me please?

Heh. I just got a good luck email from the university of unsw XD. Random.

antiphon

HSC
oh. too many to count.

oh crap. I'd forgotten about scansion, should revise it.

hmmmm. what I would have said is
"dixit, deinde lacu fluvius se condidit alto"
Dactyl, D, D, S, D, S
but I thought the -us of fluvius has to be short?

antiphon

HSC
^and main caesura in 3rd foot.

and
"nec non Tarquini(um) eiectum Porsenna iubebat"
S, D, S, S, D, blah.
main caesura in...4th?

Nick, you need to check this XD my scansion has never been red-hot.

HSC
Just for that one, I think.
My teacher says so in her scansion notes, anyway.

For eiectum, are you separating it ei/ectum or e/i/ectum? My teacher also says that Porsenna is a dactyl, and I can't get it to fit at alll doing that. And it looks wrong. And the red/blue book says 'usually a dactyl', so I don't know if it's meant to be here or not D:!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)