Classmate's marks affects mine? (1 Viewer)

OutOfOrder

HSC
So if i go to a school where the kids in my grade don't do so well, but i do well, say 90+ in every exam, 1st in every subject, then will my marks be brought down?

HSC
N/A
No, they won't be.

If you are ranked first, and acheive high marks in your exams, you will be fine.

P

pLuvia

I think it does, I think it's a school performance in a way? But in your situation I don't think so either

helper

HSC
N/A
The only way the class influences you is in the moderation of assessments. If you are ranked first and comes first then they have no influence on you.

lisraeli

HSC
What if youre not ranked first? And it doesn't go all to plan? Are the marks all invidivual or class average based? Does anyone know the actual process?

grimmy_89

HSC
Classmate marks sort of effect you

ur classmate marks are used to put ur rank within ur school in comparison. say u came first in every subject and got 85/100, and the person who came 2nd got 60/100 then ur rank as first would not 'mean' as much as compared to some one who came first with 90/100, 2nd got 89/100, third got 88/100 etc

you understand now?

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Is this test set by your school or is it a past paper? It's easier to say if we know how well your class does on a potential BoS paper rather than an internal one. But, assuming that the paper you sat is similar to a BoS one, your marks will be pulled downwards due to to overall poor performance of your class. Then, when it comes to scaling, your marks will be pulled down again since the course is General Maths.

I_F

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Can you tell us whether the paper was harder, about the same, or easier than a past HSC paper (if you've seen any)?

I_F

Riviet

HSC
N/A
mazarina211 said:
wel lets say for a maths test (general) the average was 45% and i got 75% but came 26th out of the 106 canditures.
Is that what actually happened? Please tell us as much as you can so we can help you out.

mazarina211

HSC
Riviet said:
Is that what actually happened? Please tell us as much as you can so we can help you out.
yea they are real marks but it was a topic assesment on tax and linear relationship not similar to a hsc past paper
it was worth 7.5% of the total assesment mark (15/100= 15%- internal assesment mark)
- personally i thought it was hard

Riviet

HSC
N/A
It sounds like your school has a variety of students with varying levels of ability in your year. It would be very interesting if we were to look at a graph that represents the spread of marks from 0 to 100%.

It's not a bad start actually, your rank is fine for now, don't forget that your trials and final exams count for alot more of your mark and they are the ones that will make the biggest difference. Just keep working at it and revise as often as you can. All the best mate. ;)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Riviet said:
It sounds like your school has a variety of students with varying levels of ability in your year. It would be very interesting if we were to look at a graph that represents the spread of marks from 0 to 100%.

It's not a bad start actually, your rank is fine for now, don't forget that your trials and final exams count for alot more of your mark and they are the ones that will make the biggest difference. Just keep working at it and revise as often as you can. All the best mate. ;)
my year11 modern history class had a very interesting spread of marks ranging from prob less than 10% - 90%. our teacher pretty much persuaded a lot of students to drop out of the course, which they ended up doing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)