Cleaning up the Law Board (1 Viewer)

Streeter

HSC
Before I start, it needs to be said I already understand
the irony in creating another thread that adds to the clutter
that is attempting to help resolve the clutter.

Hey legal eagles,

So, at work today I was thinking of ways that we could help facilitate legal discussion a little better on this board. I know I'm far from a veteran or senior member here, and I've posted very little, however, I'm no stranger to forums and I feel there are a few easy things that could be done to make this place a lot tidier and turn it into a learning environment.

• Categorise and group together topics - sounds simple enough. I guess what I'm trying to communicate here is that 90% of the threads here are less than 10 posts long and usually small questions related to admissions, clerkships or university programs. While the fact that these people are here asking these questions isn't a bad thing, an individual thread for each small, easy-to-answer-question is. An easy way to solve this would be to sticky a Q & A Thread. Questions can be asked and answered by anyone here in relation to this easy questions without cluttering up the board. If there is a predominance of any type of question, then another thread directly relating to clerkship or University programs could be made to accomodate.

• Facilitate discussion - once again, sounds pretty easy, but I've got a few suggestions on how. Firstly, if you're on this forum, you are probably studying law. If you are studying law, you probably want to increase your knowledge of law. So to facilitate this learning, I was thinking a thread somewhere along the lines of Weekly Legal Problem/Issue would be appropriate. Essentially, each week, a legal problem, one that can be solved by research could be posted. People could discuss possible solutions to the problem and how they would go about achieving a result/what result they think would occur in reality. This would be terrific for having a conceptualisation of a wide range of legal topics.

• Stay up-to-date - this main theme of this idea is to have a thread for discussion of new legal breakthroughs or controversial cases that are currently going through the courts. It's essentially a current affair's thread, but where only legal news is the discussion point. I feel that with this thread, students can gain an understanding of how the law is affecting the world around them now. It'll promote involvement in your studies a little more.

Anyway, that's my little rant about the boards here. I really feel there is potential here. There are a lot of students lurking but not much reason for them to stick around and post. I'd be willing to help out/run any of these ideas if there is support for them. I guess it comes down to what the mods want. The mods run the show and with these changes, it's probably going to mean keeping a closer eye on the boards to keep the clutter away.

Feel free to throw some more suggestions in too, I think any discussion about improving this place would be great. Right now, I've got no reason to stay here with the way it is.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A

Hey legal eagles,

So, at work today I was thinking of ways that we could help facilitate legal discussion a little better on this board. I know I'm far from a veteran or senior member here, and I've posted very little, however, I'm no stranger to forums and I feel there are a few easy things that could be done to make this place a lot tidier and turn it into a learning environment.

• Categorise and group together topics - sounds simple enough. I guess what I'm trying to communicate here is that 90% of the threads here are less than 10 posts long and usually small questions related to admissions, clerkships or university programs. While the fact that these people are here asking these questions isn't a bad thing, an individual thread for each small, easy-to-answer-question is. An easy way to solve this would be to sticky a Q & A Thread. Questions can be asked and answered by anyone here in relation to this easy questions without cluttering up the board. If there is a predominance of any type of question, then another thread directly relating to clerkship or University programs could be made to accomodate.

• Facilitate discussion - once again, sounds pretty easy, but I've got a few suggestions on how. Firstly, if you're on this forum, you are probably studying law. If you are studying law, you probably want to increase your knowledge of law. So to facilitate this learning, I was thinking a thread somewhere along the lines of Weekly Legal Problem/Issue would be appropriate. Essentially, each week, a legal problem, one that can be solved by research could be posted. People could discuss possible solutions to the problem and how they would go about achieving a result/what result they think would occur in reality. This would be terrific for having a conceptualisation of a wide range of legal topics.

• Stay up-to-date - this main theme of this idea is to have a thread for discussion of new legal breakthroughs or controversial cases that are currently going through the courts. It's essentially a current affair's thread, but where only legal news is the discussion point. I feel that with this thread, students can gain an understanding of how the law is affecting the world around them now. It'll promote involvement in your studies a little more.

Anyway, that's my little rant about the boards here. I really feel there is potential here. There are a lot of students lurking but not much reason for them to stick around and post. I'd be willing to help out/run any of these ideas if there is support for them. I guess it comes down to what the mods want. The mods run the show and with these changes, it's probably going to mean keeping a closer eye on the boards to keep the clutter away.

Feel free to throw some more suggestions in too, I think any discussion about improving this place would be great. Right now, I've got no reason to stay here with the way it is.
I would definitely agree with each and every idea suggested above. In particular I would love for a weekly legal problem/issue thread to be initiated and maintained! It would be great if all of them were implemented though. Of course, as you quite rightly said, it comes down to what the moderators want.

In addition, it would be great to get as many law students (no matter which university they come from) to facilitate discussion. Yes, that means no flaming about which law school is the best; just keep that to yourselves. An interactive yet friendly environment is hard to come by, especially on a medium such as an internet forum. If a revamp does occur, we should try and promote it positively as much as possible.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
A lot of this would be great. I am in my final year, working three days a week and doing a full study load including honours, its something I just don't have the time for.

If you guys can do most of it yourself and get me to only do the admin things you cant do...or apply to be a mod to help. It might work that way.

Streeter

HSC
It's something I would really like doing to be completely honest. I spend a lot of time on the internet as it is studying, so I don't see a problem with helping out here. It would probably even keep my brain focused on law a little better.

I'd love to start some of these threads though. Give me until the end of the week and I might have one up and running.

Is it fairly busy here? Are there likely to be a range of people attempting the legal problems?

Also, as far as modship goes, I'd love to help out. Like I said, I'm on the internet a fair chunk of the day, so I'd be able to keep an eye on things fairly regularly. How does one go about applying?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
It's something I would really like doing to be completely honest. I spend a lot of time on the internet as it is studying, so I don't see a problem with helping out here. It would probably even keep my brain focused on law a little better.

I'd love to start some of these threads though. Give me until the end of the week and I might have one up and running.

Is it fairly busy here? Are there likely to be a range of people attempting the legal problems?

Also, as far as modship goes, I'd love to help out. Like I said, I'm on the internet a fair chunk of the day, so I'd be able to keep an eye on things fairly regularly. How does one go about applying?
I believe the form is on the site help forum. All is explained there.

Streeter

HSC
Ok, I'll have a look at it.

Thanks for all the help melsc.

@everyone else: still feel free to contribute ideas here, the more the merrier.

Edit: Wow, it's like a job application. So much pressure!

Last edited:

izzy88

HSC
I think you might struggle a bit to get a lot of involvement with answering law problem question of the week style stuff. I tend to have enough assignments/law readings/jobs that i'm not sure i would really have the time to put into more law questions- the other thing is that a lot of people come onto the internet/bos to not think about more law questions.

However you can still give it a go. Not sure whether you really need a mod to start up a thread with law problem questions- just start one up, and we'll see how many people would be interested in looking and answering it!

It won't hurt to give it a go, and maybe i'll surprise myself and procrastinate by looking at more law questions :)

Streeter

HSC
Submitted an application, either way though I'll probably try and start one of the threads on the weekend.

@izzy - I see your point, but I often find myself throwing my enthusiasm more so at something that I'm not graded for. Especially if it's something others are discussing. Plus there's no pressure of failing. It can't hurt trying though.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad

Hey legal eagles,

Omg that's so long. Can you like... summarise this in 2 lines so I know what you want to do?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)