• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Climate Change (1 Viewer)

Skeptic or Believer

• Believer

Votes: 37 61.7%
  • Skeptic

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 5.0%

• Total voters

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
Skeptic/Denier or Believer?

I have noticed a few people expressing their skepticism lately and in light of the recent discussion regarding peter garret/uranium/nuclear power and developments in the news etc i thought it would be a good idea to gauge peoples thoughts.

Zrap

glock9
HSC
hmm, it was out of ordinarily warm yesterday.

walkahz

HSC
Hyped up political bullshit. The earth has its cycles. Doubt they were shouting global warming when the earth was coming out of a fucking ice age.

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
the earth is still in an ice age bro

the issue is the fact that we are speeding up a natural process

making it happen too fast for shit to adapt

You reading me brah>?

walkahz

HSC
I doubt that where are your sources that say we are in a ice age and that humans are adding to it.
In fact I have been told that over the last few years the earths temperature has dropped not risen. but then again i dont have a source to prove that so you wont accept that now will you.

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
Dont need sources bro.

In science, an 'ice age' is any period in history where there are polar ice caps.

This applies to now.

You cant deny the earth is warming, as part of its 'natural cycle' etc, i think there is a general consensus on this.

The point of climate change believers is that our actions are increasing the rate of this change. Sure the change is always going to happen naturally, but if we make it happen too fast, ecosystems wont have time to adapt like they have in the past. (dinosaurs etc, woolly mammoths etc etc) This will have a detrimental effect you must agree?

Christ i would love to see the sea levels rise lol we'd get an inland sea in Australia again. Sure id like it to be warmer, it would be tropical in southern NSW etc. But if that happens before everything has a change to adapt, everything will die and shit

alright mang?

walkahz

HSC
The point of climate change believers is that our actions are increasing the rate of this change. Sure the change is always going to happen naturally, but if we make it happen too fast, ecosystems wont have time to adapt like they have in the past. (dinosaurs etc, woolly mammoths etc etc) This will have a detrimental effect you must agree?
I dont see any dinosaurs or woolly mamoths around now so the eco system obviously didnt adapt now did It!!! And i doubt human activity had too much of an impact back then.
Plus where is the data from when this happened last time in the cycle? Who says it didnt do exactly this last time.

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
yeah of course they arent around today they had time to evolve and adapt for christ sake

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I doubt that where are your sources that say we are in a ice age and that humans are adding to it.
In fact I have been told that over the last few years the earths temperature has dropped not risen. but then again i dont have a source to prove that so you wont accept that now will you.
The Earth is a massive and complex system. Changes do not happen in mere months and years. Fluctuations at this level are just that variance from the trend. They in themselves do not change the trend. This is very basic maths/science.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
I wouldn't take him too seriously.

This is the guy who said that Pacific Island's evacuation cos of sea rise was due to bad government.

HSC
Oh it's happening alright.

I left a block of ice outside... 2 hours later it was water!

This is only the beginning, its only winter. Just wait until the summer....

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Taken from [m]:

Common sense argument in favor of GW in a nutshell:

1. I do not have the knowledge or resources to make any definitive conclusions about global warming.

2. Such is the case with most complex scientific topics, so I accept the MAJORITY CONSENSUS of peer reviewed scientists when I lack the ability to investigate myself.

3. I reject the idea that scientists are conspiring to fool the public about the truth of global warming, because that idea is contradictory to my experience with peer reviewed scientists in ALL other scientific fields.

4. I understand that science is constantly revising its own conclusions, so I accept nothing as an absolute truth. With that stated…

5. Even though I accept the majority position, whether the scientific community is absolutely correct about global warming or completely off base is totally irrelevant. Reduced emissions, smart energy policy, and clean, renewable energy are all important goals that we should strive for, regardless of political alignment.

Unless you oppose a transition from fossil fuels or you’re a scientist with vested interest in a competing theory, there is literally NO reason to argue against global warming. Additionally, the topic is pretty much moot since both party candidates, as well as the sitting president, have accepted global warming and the need for a change in energy policy.

So for a more relevant debate, who opposes a transition from fossil fuels and why?

walkahz

HSC
Look all im saying is that Global warming is blamed on way too many different things and I am not convinced that humans are affecting the cycle and throwing it out of what it should be.
There is not a great deal of evidence to support or deny global warming so you can all jump on the pc bandwagon if you want to I have picked my side.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Look all im saying is that Global warming is blamed on way too many different things and I am not convinced that humans are affecting the cycle and throwing it out of what it should be.
There is not a great deal of evidence to support or deny global warming so you can all jump on the pc bandwagon if you want to I have picked my side.
There is loads of evidence supporting it. You are choosing to ignore it.

HSC
loller wtf?

You post shit in one of my threads and then you tell me to be serious.

I'm saying it's happening. I do "believe" it. If I thought it was bullshit I would of said it that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)