Clinical psychologist (1 Viewer)

Aluminesis

HSC
I've been checking out uni courses and finally narrowed down my preferences to health sciences and science - pretty much health related stuff. I tracked onto psychology after my speech pathology phase (it's still there!) and looked into it. I'm getting interested in clinical psychology, so I thought I'd ask current students what they think of their psychology degree and their views on clinical psychology.

I've mostly been looking at info from USYD and from what I gather you do a bachelors, honours, then apply for Doctor of Clinical Psychology/Master of Science (?) Sounds pretty long and competitive (apparently they only take around 20 for DCP/MSc). To those with experience, do you think it is achievable if you stay on top of your work and give it your very best shot? I know working hard usually means you're on the right track to achievement, but I see 'achievable' a bit differently. For example, getting a 99.95 to get into med is pretty unachievable for me, but a 97 I can probably scrape if I push myself. Relative to that, do you guys reckon clinical psychology is a 99.95 or a 97 (or less)?

By all means, I'd be happy to hear about psychology in other universities. It's just that I've only done research for USYD at the moment.

Thanks heaps and sorry about the monster post! :D

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
I've been checking out uni courses and finally narrowed down my preferences to health sciences and science - pretty much health related stuff. I tracked onto psychology after my speech pathology phase (it's still there!) and looked into it. I'm getting interested in clinical psychology, so I thought I'd ask current students what they think of their psychology degree and their views on clinical psychology.

I've mostly been looking at info from USYD and from what I gather you do a bachelors, honours, then apply for Doctor of Clinical Psychology/Master of Science (?) Sounds pretty long and competitive (apparently they only take around 20 for DCP/MSc). To those with experience, do you think it is achievable if you stay on top of your work and give it your very best shot? I know working hard usually means you're on the right track to achievement, but I see 'achievable' a bit differently. For example, getting a 99.95 to get into med is pretty unachievable for me, but a 97 I can probably scrape if I push myself. Relative to that, do you guys reckon clinical psychology is a 99.95 or a 97 (or less)?

By all means, I'd be happy to hear about psychology in other universities. It's just that I've only done research for USYD at the moment.

Thanks heaps and sorry about the monster post! :D
Do allied health if you want a job

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Clinical Psychology is fuckan ridiculous. Something like 6 years of uni just to be qualified to be one, let alone able to work as one. ATAR is not comparable to university in any way so don't bother with that.

First of all, if you're interested in psychology, do a year of psychology. If you aren't interested in it after that, don't do 5 more years of it. You need to experience university before being able to fully decide that you're interested in continuing it.

You sound interested in doing Medicine. If you can get a 97 ATAR and a decent UMAT, you can go to UWS Medicine, which is still an excellent Medicine degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)