Clueless about Emma/ Clueless (1 Viewer)

Hiya_la

I dont really understand the module
like how do the values reflect the contexts, specifically
wat r the values?
i always seem to refer to the issues more
i would reallllly apreciate if somebody could send me a couple of past essays on Emma/Clueless about how the context shapes the values BLAH

thanks in advance

chip

HSC
yeh i dont like this module so i wouldnt be of much help sorry

Trent

I can't really help you as I'm struggling on Emma/Clueless with THIS:

"It is ironic that a transformed text in order to be completely effective depends on its audience having a familiarity and understanding of the original. Discuss."

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
Originally posted by Trent
I can't really help you as I'm struggling on Emma/Clueless with THIS:

"It is ironic that a transformed text in order to be completely effective depends on its audience having a familiarity and understanding of the original. Discuss."
It's ironic because having a knowledge of both Clueless and Emma means that when you view Clueless, after reading Emma you can compare and contrast them both and it also presents dramatic irony because you know what's going on, or about to happen, but the protagonist has no idea. So it's more effective if you read Emma then watch Clueless cos you have some idea of what's happening and instead of being a text that stands alone, it can be seen as a parallel with Emma.

If what I wrote sucks.. well, it's only like 10am!!

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
well, you have to look at the context of both texts and see that ultimately, the ideas behind the texts are the same, but to appeal to a new audience, the values are different. if that makes any sense.

and with that essay question, that's just asking you to say that although both texts are great works in their own right, by understanding the transformation, they compliment each other and creates more understanding.

to know the values you have to look at the context of the works. so for emma, it's the social hierarchy, the notion of noblesse oblige, your status is determined by how much land you own, you need to look at the role of marriage in society...etc
for clueless, how has the social hierarchy changed? it's all about consumerism etc. your social status depends on your wealth.
but even though the context has changed, both heckerling and austen are commenting on blah blah blah.
you can pick what you want to talk about by comparing 2 scenes and talk about the value that is essentially the same, and the disparity with the context. or talk about the transformation of a character. or you could pick a value, and talk about the transformation in the two texts.

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
u basically have to say that themes are the same but the way it has been presented in clueless is diff co's of changing context n stuff...

Spadge

HSC
N/A
Tai: Do you guys have any, uh... herbal suppliments here?
Dionne: Not at school, we only have coke.
Tai: Shit! You guys have coke here?
Cher: Of course, this is America, right?

This dialogue is an example of both satire and irony, where Heckerling shows as that Cher and Dionne are ignorant of the real world outside Beverly Hills, they are clueless, while she is also satirizing the prevalence of drugs in American culture.

----

Throughout the movie, there are examples of how clueless cher really is, how she doesn't differenciate between Mexico and El Salvadore, or Bosnia and the Middle East. Even when she really tries to help, by donating to the Pismo beach disaster, she still give skis, which are totally useless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)