Clueless on King Lear question HELP ME (1 Viewer)

xkeiko

colour my world
HSC
Hey everyone!

I need help with this King Lear question. Your help will be greatly appeciated :) I have been aked to direct a production of King Lear. The task is to explain to them how two scenes can be viewed in different ways, as part of different responses to the play's meaning and values, and to suggest what your own preferred reading will be.

Which brief scenes do u personally think is good?

:wave: *waves*

Shadowulf

HSC
hmm wait... lemmie clear things up haha, my heads not working straight at this time, lack of sleep =S

so the question is asking you which act/scene of the play is more versatile in the way that it is interpreted?? and if youve been asked to direct the play, should you also be saying how you would have the actors act, or what props you would have?

if that's the case, i would say Act III Scene iv. In my opinion the storm scene is a very nice scene to play around with, in the sense of how many ways you can represent things such as: Lear losing his wits, breaking with the storm.

Im not sure about a second scene, but maybe the very first scene with the Goneril and Regan flattering Lear. That might be scene that can be viewed in various ways. And since it's the start of the play, it would be the most obvious to express the director's reading of the play.. wouldnt it?

i migiht come back at another time and make this post make sense oO"

xkeiko

colour my world
HSC
Why dont u sleep more? The post makes sense to me anyway ^^ I'm thinking of doing a feminist and marxist reading on King Lear. However i dont know what scene is good for a feminist reading, as the good scenes are long. I want something brief and important. :)

Teddy Lee

HSC
I'd say any key scene is a good choice e.g. the love test, storm scene, reconciliation scene (the ending is good for narcissist vs redemption/christian readings)

Use any film or stage productions of King Lear you have seen to help you with your answer.

xkeiko

colour my world
HSC
Oh ok and how would u change it?

Shadowulf

HSC
hi im back hehe =P
err whens it due? am i too late??

well it really depends on your interpretation of the play. If i was to do it, the 2 scenes i would choose would probably be... umm..
i might do the love test scene and the ending, since they link to each other really strongly through the quote "nothing will come of nothing"
somehow id put some emphasis on that line, using the setting and acting. And in the final scene, the scene i would probably make something really empty, for example if youve seen the Peter Brook version of King Lear. Looked like a desert.

but thats just what id do, hope you come up with a good idea (if you havent already) and good luck with it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)