Clutch Band 6 Stories (1 Viewer)

jjHasm

HSC
So not very often, but sometimes, I see threads on this forum about "HSC success stories", or how "My school estimated me at 80 but ended up getting 90" or "My rankings are really bad!!, can I still get X atar"

I know the generic advice is "don't worry about internals, HSC is 50% of your final mark, just don't look back blah blah"

But I want to know how people specifically did it for each subject. Or more preferabbly a mini "sucess story" about one subject. i.e. "I studied 1 week before the HSC and got a band 6 for biology with an 87 assessment mark"

Personally, I just want a little anectdotal motivation to keep my head up high. At the moment I just started studying for biology (which is in around 20 days) and it is taking up alot of time from economics and 4u study. (obviously since ive been neglecting bio for the past 2-3 weeks). The position im in right now is that my ranking is decent, decent enough to get a mid-high band 5. As past trends in the school show that people with my avg and rank usually get 85-87 as an assessment mark. This means I will need to get around a 93-94 external examination mark to secure a band 6. (which is one of my long term HSC goals).

I dont think this is enough time to go into detailed and extensive depth for bio content, but definitley enough to sufficiently cover the syllabus and do past papers without impeding my pace for 4u and eco (which I aim to get band 6s in also).

English is fine, from monday onwards I just need to memorise an essay a day starting in the afternoon (and in morning ill do other stuff), and then hope for a high band 5 scrape band 6.

But yeah, any motivation other than the generic is appreciated :smile:

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
For most of those people it probably won't happen, but it is possible, in my accelerated 2 unit got a 93 assessment 99 exam mark and I had friends who got like 94 in bio while having like mid 80s assessment mark. To be honest I don't you can like just study a week before (assuming you did poorly in the school exams) and expect to get like 15 marks higher in the external, but like in the range of 5 higher is certainly possible if you have a good day in the exam and get a bit lucky with markers.

Last edited:

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
In terms of advice there is no real way to guarantee that it will happen for anyone. Just I guess you gotta study as much you can now and just hope you know the answers to questions on the day

Last edited:

jjHasm

HSC
For most of those people it probably won't happen, but it is possible, in my accelerated 2 unit got a 93 assessment 99 exam mark and I had friends who got like 94 in bio while having like mid 80s assessment mark. To be honest I don't you can like just study a week before (assuming you did poorly in the school exams) and expect to get like 15 marks higher in the external, but like in the range of 5 higher is certainly possible if you have a good day in the exam and get a bit lucky with markers.
Thanks for the advice. I'm not exactly that behind and incompetent for the subject in terms of content, meaning at one stage I've understood and known the content, just haven't touched a past paper, hence not being able to develop necessary exam techniques. However I'm worried about not being able to do even better than before (at the stage when I knew all the content, just no practice). So what im trying to say is If in these upcoming ~20 days, e.g. I know my content 1 week before, and can just do practice papers, will that effort suffice to get a band 6. I feel like its a far stretch and unrealistic expectation, because when you compare this effort I plan to put in to the other peoples effort that get band6s in bio, it seems undoable.

But ye thats the plan, hopefully I do get a band 6 with a few past papers and knowing content

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the advice. I'm not exactly that behind and incompetent for the subject in terms of content, meaning at one stage I've understood and known the content, just haven't touched a past paper, hence not being able to develop necessary exam techniques. However I'm worried about not being able to do even better than before (at the stage when I knew all the content, just no practice). So what im trying to say is If in these upcoming ~20 days, e.g. I know my content 1 week before, and can just do practice papers, will that effort suffice to get a band 6. I feel like its a far stretch and unrealistic expectation, because when you compare this effort I plan to put in to the other peoples effort that get band6s in bio, it seems undoable.

But ye thats the plan, hopefully I do get a band 6 with a few past papers and knowing content
Yeah its possible honestly with the past paper stuff if you know ur content well already from notes they are not that necessary, doing like a 2-3 from the past HSCs is good enough for practice. I ended up doing 0 past papers for English in the end, just cause I studied in a different way with memorising essays and just adapting on the day cause I didn't really see any point in doing questions for English that would practically never be asked again for at least 5 years for something similar, and for the other subjects I did around 3-4 years but only select questions like the mc and calculations cause no one is gonna mark the answers for written responses for you and its difficult to self mark without being biased

Last edited:

HoldingOn

HSC

Just study and back your natural ability- believe you can beat those people and you will.

Eluate

HSC
I didn't really have a teacher for SOR1 all year, studied the week before, got a band 5.
No past papers, just reading over notes.

No practice papers for SDD either, just knew the content.

Just read over all your Biology notes, and in your time of need during the exam, it will pop up into your head.

Last edited:

Tzuyu

HSC
How about you just study earlier next time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)