Co-Op Computer Science (1 Viewer)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Shazzam, have a look here: http://do.cse.unsw.edu.au/students/scholarship/scheme.phtml

That's the scheme for co-op, ie what subjects you have to do.
I know one of my friends is studying Japanese .. all her electives have gone into Japanese courses (School of Arts, of course).

There are a few first years who are studying at COFA .. they're really enjoying it although it's a bus trip away every time they have a class *lol*.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
according to my tutor who finished seng last year (methinks) and had a compsci thesis, the 'good' COMP subjects to go for is :

-> Cyrpto (since richard teaches it)
-> Neural Network
-> Compilers
-> Operating Systems

I think he mentioned one more, but I forgot...

underthesun: the co-op ppl I know aren't at all competitive mark-wise. They are really smart people but not at all competitive.
99 and the 3rd highest brownie point in 1711 is pretty competitive. Since they have to maintain above credit average, they have to be competitive :uhhuh: . But yeah, they have to be smart for that too.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
That doesn't necessarily mean 'competitive' .. just because you strive to do YOUR best doesn't mean you compete with everybody else to get there. Some of my friends topped 1711, 1721, 2041, etc etc. but they don't push others down while they do it. I guess I misinterpreted 'competitive'.

Crypto is incredibly fun, if you like Richard. He only teaches it in s2 though (I think - this is his first year teaching it).

You'd like Compilers and OS if you like hardcore programming (I haven't done them but I know people don't sleep when assignments for the above two are due). I prefer less hardcore hmmm I like my sleep :uhhuh:

asdf

HSC
Whats the difference between ELEC1041 and COMP2021?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
underthesun said:
That's the whole point of compsci..

it's fun though, I'll die a happy man if they let me do full on COMP subjects for at least one semester. muahahaha
sunny said:
Me this session:

- COMP2920, Professional Issues and Ethics for Comp Sci (core)
- COMP2041, Software Construction (core)
- COMP3311, Database Systems (elective)
- COMP3211, Computer Architecture (elective)

Next year I only have one core (COMP3111 ) for the entire year - I plan on doing more COMP subjects :p
He does SENG though ...

You can do that in fourth year ...

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
tonberry_kun said:
what electives do u recommend for s1 of 2nd yr comp sci?
and what about gen. ed? what's it for? why do we need to do it?
Can't do many COMP ones, cause you haven't got the pre reqs ...

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
sunny said:
I would recommend you do what you find interesting :) Really, I can say I found this really interesting but you might hate it. Have a look at the courses that are available.

If you think you like something, check you would have met the pre-reqs for the course, then have a look at the course's homepage to see the kind of work they are doing. Try and get in touch with some people that have already done the course and ask for their opinions or other details (nice and cool tutors always help you out with stuff like this if you ask nicely).
There are lots of "fun" ones to choose from ...

sunny said:
Gen eds are courses that everyone has to do. In second year you need to do 6 units worth. UNSW has policies where it requires its students to have "general knowledge" as well as knowledge from their own discipline. This requires you do to gen ed courses that are from other faculties (from the top of my head, you can do 6uoc worth of gen eds from your own faculty). Many many gen eds are offered over summer session and I would recommend you do your gen eds during summer session. You will save yourself 6uoc worth of work during session. You can search for gen eds on myUNSW.

This year I did Astronomy and Murderers and Detectives in summer session (early Jan/Feb this year), and I'm doing 21uoc both sessions instead of the usual 24.
I don't think you can do 6 from your own faculty, but 6 can come from a REAL subject.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
underthesun said:
according to my tutor who finished seng last year (methinks) and had a compsci thesis, the 'good' COMP subjects to go for is :

-> Cyrpto (since richard teaches it)
-> Neural Network
-> Compilers
-> Operating Systems

I think he mentioned one more, but I forgot....
And GRAPHICS. Best subject ever.

I am taking that now, and even though the lecture is on 3-6 on a Friday, it is ALWAYS full. That tells you something about the course.

Only runs in s2 though, and it fills up fast.

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
i dont think i could stand spending friday arvos in a lecture
my brain auto switches off during that time, no matter what's on, including exams... -_-

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
wot's the prereq of graphics?

since logic programming's being wiped out for seng, i guess that leaves an extra COMP subject to be chosen from (which is good). I just hope they wont plug in an INFS course, which sucks. Although lower workload isn't always bad :uhhuh:

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
Thanks guys for all the links, esp Anti, that was great :)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I'd do 2711 asap - it provides the foundations for many other 2nd and 3rd year courses.

Even though I would have enjoyed it more if I liked the lecturer more, I guess..

sunny

meh.
HSC
2011 is very easy. 2711 is a challenge. Its not like 1711 though - its not fun.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Depends who the lecturer is. If you were confident at 1011/1711 I'd do 2711 because it challenges you a lot more. 2011 is rather straightforward (from looking at the lecture notes).

The problem with 2711 was the frustration level.. not in a good, "I'm programming THIS" frustration level but in a "I have no idea what i'm supposed to be programming, someone decipher the spec for me!!!" way. :p

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
o_o, that doesnt sound too good. At least 2711 wont be available next year though, so it's gonna be quite relaxing i guess..

Apparently we got the guy who invented duchess™ as a lecturer. And I heard he is quite a smart guy, so this one might turn out interesting :uhhuh:

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
if you go through myUNSW, and log in, and go to "My student profile", go click "class search". Good thing is they have 1711, but I dont see higher data org (only normal methinks). A friend that would always choose 2711 over 2011 said it himself, so it should be pretty reliable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)