Co op Scholarship in Comp Sci (1 Viewer)

misdreavous

Counterbalance
HSC
Hello, I just wondered if anyone out there can give me an idea how hard it is to get the co op scholarship for comp sci (& BIT). I already qualify for the UAI requirement. Apparently there were only 3 comp sci (17 for BIT) co op scholoarships in 2005, but it seems that not many people with a high uai would want to do comp sci....
btw i am in y12 this year

gman03

HSC
Depends.. How active are you outside school? Are you in a music band? ??

People with high uai do comp sci, cut-off doesn't tell you anything about this.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Its difficult to say how hard it is...it would depend on the quality of your cohort, and like gman said how you are outside of study. Coop doesn't just look at results - they're more interested in what kind of person you are: a leader, a good people person, active in extracirricular activities, as well as a high score.

misdreavous

Counterbalance
HSC
well....let's see...participation in Waterwatch, chess club, games club, concert/woodwind band/ensemble, volunteer work for school working bees, a bit of sport....these are on and off. I don't do that much but then I actually did something...lol.
What I really wanted to know is basically how good the cohort of comp sci will be. That is some subjects like marketing is obviously going to attract a lot of quality potential leaders just due to the fact that the course tends to require those qualities anyway. Also high UAI cut-off course tend to attract more people with higher UAI (even though we all know about the UAI cut off myths), so more 'quality' people will go for those courses.
So what's the chance of a high UAI, motivation to do well in comp sci and some involvement in extracurricular activities but not a lot of leadership activities, at getting a co op scholarship?

sunny

meh.
HSC
You know its not actually possible to give you a remotely accurate answer :p

The 'high UAI attracts high UAI people' argument is only somewhat true - if someone is determined to do computing it doesn't matter how much higher their UAI when compared to the cut off....some of my group (2002) are 99+ and theres one with 100. The cut off in my year was 85. I was safe and far over that cut off but I never considered doing anything else other than computing. In comp sci you will find some very very brilliant people, even if its not as popular as med or law.

For all we know the 2006 comp sci coop cohort will all be 99+UAI, spend all their spare time doing volunteer work, playing sport and be a school captain or prefect - in which case your chances might not be so good. But if not, you might have a good chance.

You just need to present yourself as the person you are and hope you're what coop is looking for.

Don't be suprised though if your coop cohort is what I described :p

misdreavous

Counterbalance
HSC
I think i was well aware of the fact that i won't get an exact answer, but I asked anyway to get an idea of what the current students would think.
As for 99+ UAI, I have no doubt that people would do comp sci because they love it (ie. ME). My point was that these high UAI students are still in a minority, so about how many 96+'s are in your year? Keeping in mind that enrolments have been dropping.
I intend to be what I am, nothing more.

And finally, thanks for the replies!...even if they are a bit pessimistic...

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I think you also need to consider that theres a good chance that people with higher uais that get into compsci will be combining with something else. Afaik you cant do co-op with a combined degree (or at least its why i never applied).

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Yeah, all the top ppl seem to be combined degree students (as compared to USyd). eg. gman03

What's up with that?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
Yeah, all the top ppl seem to be combined degree students (as compared to USyd). eg. gman03

What's up with that?
Usyd doesnt let you combine IT or comp sci. Its one of the reasons I left.

gman03

HSC
misdreavous said:
So what's the chance of a high UAI, motivation to do well in comp sci and some involvement in extracurricular activities but not a lot of leadership activities, at getting a co op scholarship?
Here is the formula if you are interested:

Chance = How much you need the $$ / How much you want the $$ * How long will you stay motivated * how active are you outside school * how ambitious are you * 51% + are you a female * 49%

One factor the panel of "judges" cares is that "if we sponsor you, how much are we getting back in return?"

Two questions to ask yourself are "why do I need this coop? why do I want this coop?"

If you can answer at least the above three questions then you are in much better shape then someone with similar ability compare with you.

On a side note, I didn't try out coop simply because I could not present to them how active I was etc...

§eraphim said:

What's up with that?
See, I use one other half to supplement the weakness in the other half... Unlike better students who are strong in both areas e.g. §eraphim

Last edited:

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
gman03 said:

Chance = How much you need the $$ / How much you want the $$ * How long will you stay motivated * how active are you outside school * how ambitious are you * 51% + are you a female * 49%

One factor the panel of "judges" cares is that "if we sponsor you, how much are we getting back in return?"

Two questions to ask yourself are "why do I need this coop? why do I want this coop?"

If you can answer at least the above three questions then you are in much better shape then someone with similar ability compare with you.

On a side note, I didn't try out coop simply because I could not present to them how active I was etc...

See, I use one other half to supplement the weakness in the other half... Unlike better students who are strong in both areas e.g. §eraphim
^ Which side is your weakness? :p

Affinity

HSC
gman03 said:

gman03 possesses an uncanny ability to make a timely reply to any post mentioning him :p:rofl:

gman03

HSC
Affinity said:
gman03 possesses an uncanny ability to make a timely reply to any post mentioning him :p:rofl:
Like this one :ninja:

But yeah good luck people, just be yourself :)

STx said:
^ Which side is your weakness?
That's.... a secret :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)