Co op Scholarships (1 Viewer)

Claudia

HSC
N/A
Yours is the same problem as mine, except i had to choose btw the coop (actuary) and the $10000 pa scholarship from USYD for four yrs............i will neva kno if it was the rite decision or not, o well, but i chose the coop.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Hi guys,

There must be a million people out there who wish they were in the same tough predicament as the two of you. I'm a co-op and my unashamedly biased recommendation is to accept co-op.
There are a couple of reasons:
1. UNSW has the best commerce/business/economics faculty
2. You can always go to USyd and do graduate law after you complete your four years of co-op
3. You get faily well-rounded work experience at the best firms (for a finance co-op, i'm sure there's plenty of comm/law people at Usyd who would love to work at Deutsche Bank or JPMorgan or ABN Amro but never get the chance)

Hope that helps in your decision making!

mashi

Elite
HSC
lol thats lovely to hear that cos i was stuck in the same position too and chose co op :)

do u think the sponsors for finance > sponsors for the other co ops?

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
mashi said:
lol thats lovely to hear that cos i was stuck in the same position too and chose co op :)

do u think the sponsors for finance > sponsors for the other co ops?
yeah finance get the best, actuary are also good. we accountants get neglected.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
do finance co-op scholars get their studies partially credited towards the cfa qualifacation?

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
no idea on that one. i know accountants dont unless their supervisor is fully qualified and prepared to sign off.

milkyways

HSC
i-color said:
I also strongly advise you to put whatever course you want to do in co op as your first preference...they say they don't check your UAC preferences, but we suspected they really do......cos the only people who got interviews from my school were those who put it as first preference.
I don't think that is really true. I got an interview and commerce was my 6th preference.

milkyways

HSC
redslert said:
what i have found is that Co-Op students are amazing people
they are both smart and social!
smarter than your study everyday and no-life people!
so they are an amazing breed
i'm so jealous

Wow, Thanks.:)

milkyways

HSC
redslert said:
what i have found is that Co-Op students are amazing people
they are both smart and social!
smarter than your study everyday and no-life people!
so they are an amazing breed
i'm so jealous

Wow, Thanks.:)

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
milkyways said:
I don't think that is really true. I got an interview and commerce was my 6th preference.

yea, mine was 8th and 9th for BIT and comp science.
n i got interviews, shortlisted for comp sc and got the BIT one.

it was UTS that gets u to write down ur pref's. stupid UTS, n their fake cutoff marks.

I think for UTS 'cause i wrote it down i put it as like 6th so they won't freak out.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
about these co op scholarships

is it a serious disadvantage if you dont do many extracirricular things?

an1tzz

HSC
generally speaking, whats the average cut off for the coop.. and like.. once you complete the course is it recognised by CPA? thanks.. (btw.. thats for accounting)

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
an1tzz said:
generally speaking, whats the average cut off for the coop.. and like.. once you complete the course is it recognised by CPA? thanks.. (btw.. thats for accounting)
For Accounting Co-op at UNSW, the UAI cut off is usually around 96, but it varies from year to year.

I am currently in my final year of Accounting Co-op at UNSW and in my year, everyone scored 97 or above.

In terms of CA/CPA qualification, most UNSW accounting students (including Accounting Co-ops) complete CA, as opposed to CPA. However, my understanding is that this is not the case at other universities (CPA is more popular at Macquarie and UTS).

All commerce degrees from UNSW (including Co-op) are acceptable for both CA and CPA, provided you complete and accounting major (compulsory for Accounting Co-op students) and you complete other required subjects in Finance and Business Law.

fraqqie

UNSW BIT Co-op 04
HSC
sorry for reviving a dead thread :)

i just finished my BIT co-op and i think the cut off for my year was approx 92, not 100% sure but i think its around that figure

you'll need to make sure that once you get an offer from Co-op that you are able to enrol into the course that relates to the program.

e.g. To participate in the BIT program you'll need to be accepted for the Bachelor of Science (Information Technology) course before you're officially BIT.

Similiar to the commerce co-op programs that you'll need a BCom to do a Finance or Marketing etc Co-op program.

I think the peeps at the co-op office advises you to put that course that you've been offered a program spot for in first place to give the best chances of being a co-op scholar

any questions just holler!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)