• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

cold war (1 Viewer)

supre

HSC
isn't the cold war, Vietnam war and the Korean war the same. its the fight against communism and capitalism?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
The Vietnam and Korean War were fought to stop the spread of communism in Asia, even though the Vietnam War was a misconception because its aim was unification. The Cold War was just tension between the United States (Capitalist) and USSR (Communist) concerning politics, economy and the military. They didn't actually fight and thus it was a proxy war. They just contradicted each other they had conflicts through spies, propaganda, the nuclear arms race and etc.

Last edited:

muzeikchun852

HSC
The Vietnam and Korean War were fought to stop the spread of communism in Asia, even though the Vietnam War was a misconception because its aim was unification. The Cold War was just tension between the United States (Capitalist) and USSR (Communist) concerning politics, economy and the military. They didn't actually fight and this it was a proxy war. They just contradicted each other they had conflicts through spies, propaganda, the nuclear arms race and etc.
+1
totally agree with omnipotence.

Riot09

HSC
he led a bus-ride called the freedom-rides, similar to the ones in the united states at the time and their goal was to highlight the plight and the current situation of the aboriginies by conducting surveys and protests at x,y and z.

ya-de ya-de ya-da,As a result of their efforts charles perkins had succesfully sparked and stirred up debate on aboriginal affairs among politicians,national media and the general public (the big 3) because of the press-coverage they recieved.Which in part led to the 1967 referendum to x and y

Inconclusion today charles perkins is considered by some scholars to have arhieved some of the greatest act in European-Aboriginal history,becasause due to his role in the freedom-ride tour he raised substantial-awareness of the Aboriginal communities standard of living and the discrmination they suffered,Which led to the referendum of 1967.

give me a mark and youre comments on this short answer response

sparrow2

HSC
thanks heaps but you should consider that he started the tour in 1965 and that he influenced many young Aboriginals to consider public speaking about inequality and discrimination also the places he visited such as Moree and Walgett rural areas of nsw and yea you did good i say 4 out of 5 well done

hey but i seriously need help with Australia's ties with Asian countries and the whole east timor independence dat chapter how Australia joined the UN and Dr Evatt who was he wat contributions did he have/ do can give me like a guideline

Last edited:

Riot09

HSC
i seriously cant help you that much on these topics because our class which is 10.1 is sort of behind then the other classes because of stuff like speeches etc.so i ill write about these topic as soon as i can and on the charles perkins thing ill give you my report (whic is yet to be amrked) and speech which i got an a- for 19/20 beacuse as i my teacher said it:"sort self-concious" and "shy" which was b.s in my opinion because how can i control something as innate and subconcious as that.any way ill write my speech below its kind of long and comprehensive so don't go to sleep as you read and just skim and skip through the parts you already know which is pretty much the whole thing so you might aswell skim it.

Riot09

HSC
( please mind my punctuation)

The first aboriginal australian to graduate from university,charles perkins was also one of the most controversial indigenous leaders of australian history.As a pioneering aboriginal spokesman and bureaucrat,his determind and occasionally combative stance and his energetic entrepeneurial reformist activities,have earned him many enemies as well as admirers.Perkins invovement in the freedom ride through rural new south wales in the early 1960's played a crucial role in stirring up debate on the current state on anboriginal affairs and demonstrating that aboringinal people could begin to stand up for themselves which in part led to the 1967 referendum.his work also as a public servant in canberra brought about many advances for aboriginal people,but also attracted a great deal of criticism,culminating in his eventual sacking by the hawke government.this was followed by an inquiry,which cleared him of all charges that were beought against him.although he did noth return to a government administration profession,he contined to speak out on aboriginal issues.(the end ,just kidding)

Charles perkins one of the most prominent Aboriginal activists of australian history was born on the 16th july,1936,behind the old telegraph station in the northern territory.He was the son of an aboriginal father and european mother.the first few years of his life he remembered his mum educating him on the ways of the Arrente(his ancestors tribe).some of his later memories of early childhood included him sneaking into picture theatres because aboriginal children were not allowed in,he would also leave before it would end,so he would not be caught in his older days he said "i never knew if the goodies or baddies won".

At the age of 8,he was volunatarily taken(his mum gave him permission)to go to a christion school,named st.mary's church in alice springs,where he was made to live during the week even though his mother was only a few hundred metres away.

In adolescence he was taken to adelaide to attend st.france, a boy's high school,because he was light skinned and it was also believed he would have a good chance of being accepted in white society of he didn't return to his people.often beaten,he was thrown out at age 16 after an argument with a superintendent with no place to go no money and nothing execpt his clothes and a suitcase.

However he leatned to play soccer really well.so he asked to go to england to play soccer in 1957.After 2 years he was home sick(proberly though sydneys isnt the greatest city in the world but it is the best place in the world.)and in 1959 he returned to australia to play for an adelaide team.he later attended the metropolitan business college of sydney.

In 1965 aboriginal people were not citizens.they were dispossesed from the land,which they lived on before colonisation and were foreced to live together in small pockets of lands on the edge of towns.these places were called reserves or missions.The living conditions were atrocious.there was sub-standard housing,with people living in shanties.There was no plumbing,no electricity and no amenities such as cafes,cinemas,theatres,hotels and swimming pools;things taken for granted today.not only that,but there was a lot of verbal, and sometimed physical abuse,just because they were aboriginal.

In the 1960's through television and the press,Australia was also becoming aware of what has happening in southern states of america with the civil rights movement.In canberra on may 1964,2000 university students protested in front of the us consulate supporting the civil rights bill which was before congress.

Withion all this sociall awareness and revolution came charles perkins.charles perkins had enrolled in at sydney university in 1963 where in 1965 he graduated with a bachelor of arts,becoming the first indigenous Australian to graduate from tertiary education in australi.Charlie had travelled abroad to play soccer and in doing so he had been exposed to different social behaviour.personally he believed that his people deserved more,and that racial discrimination was holding them back.thus charles decided to confront white australians about their treatment of aboriginal people.

to do this he (ill assume you already know in detail,but if you dont just write it below and ill add it)-..................to campaign,protest and primarily bring attention to the racial discrimination that was rife in rural communities.

.............stuff he did..................fast forward to:by this stage the freedom ride had national and international press coverage.and ya-de ya-de ya-ya.........

with their return there was a greater awareness of indigenous issues rurally and perkins and his fellow students had successfully stirred up debate and sparked discussion around australia on the stae of aboriginal affairs.The media coverage the trip gained led to pressure for reform at national and international levels.This debate in part,led to the 1967 referendum which approved to ammendments to the.....ya-de ya-de ya-da(i love seinfeld)

One of the crticisms of the freedom riders,from their opponets but also from indigenous groups,was that they had "simply stirred up trouble" in the towns and left the townspeople to cope with the after math.it has however also been argued that through the freedom ride and subsequent follow-up trips,important connections were made and the groundwork was laid for the development of aboriginal legal and medical sevices in country towns,with some of the freedom riders playing important roles in the founding of these servicies.

Another consequence of the freedom ride was the emergence of charles perkins as a national leader of aboriginal people for his significant role in the "freedom ride tour" and susequent events.in wake of the bus trip he began a significant career as a public servant whose work in canberra brought about many advances for the aboriginal people,but also attracted a great deal of criticism culminating in his eventual sacking by the hawke labour governent.He was appointed head of the department of aboriginal affairs in 1984,and was the first indigenous australian to become a permanent head of afederal government department.

He left his position as a departmental head in 1988 after a clash with agovernmet minister over financial mismanagment.Although he did not return to a government role,he contineud to speak out on aboriginal issues including the historic mabo and wiki decision on native title.Perkins was also notable as being the worlds longest recorded survivor of a kidney transplant,which he recieved in 1972.perkins died in oct of 2000 and was given a state funeral.

Today charles perkins role on the freedom ride campaign is considered by some to have performed some of the most signinificant acts in aboriginal-european history,as this tour marked the begining of a substantioal european-awareness of the problems and plight of the aborigianal people,particulary among the australian government,national media and general public.

i know i didnt have to do this but its good practice for the sc and my general english skills.
anyway give me a mark and and suggestions or comments you have so i can improve on my skills.thanx for reading this

Riot09

HSC
yeagh me too,my favourite jacket and 3 layers of my best layers of "home" clothes are in the wash and im wearing just a t-shirt-cotton that normally wear to school because i hate shirts with button that look crap.anyway brrrrrrrrrr

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
thanks heaps but you should consider that he started the tour in 1965 and that he influenced many young Aboriginals to consider public speaking about inequality and discrimination also the places he visited such as Moree and Walgett rural areas of nsw and yea you did good i say 4 out of 5 well done

hey but i seriously need help with Australia's ties with Asian countries and the whole east timor independence dat chapter how Australia joined the UN and Dr Evatt who was he wat contributions did he have/ do can give me like a guideline
In 1945 (end of WWII), the United Nations was established because of the failures of the League of Nations. The League of Nations lacked the power to step in when dictators abused human rights and threatened the freedom of countries. It was criticised for lacking in resolving problems such as poverty, hunger, poor health and education in developing countries.

The United Nations is made up of several bodies that make decisions. The General assembley is where all member nation are represents. It makes general policies on economic decisions and how the organisation will reach it goals. This includes UN organisations such as UNESCO and the Security Council

The Security Council has the military power to enforce the UN's decisions for peacekeeping or to settle problems. There are five countries that have the power of veto, to cancel any actions proposed by the Security Council. The permanent members are the US, Russia, France, China and Britain. The power of veto protects the countries' national and ideological interests. Other members are placed on the Security Council of a rotational basis.

The United Nations Commissions draw up charters or agreements that member nations are urged to sign. They are used to work on world problems, refugees and poverty. The organisations include the United Nations High Comission for Refugees and the Commission on Human Rights.

Dr Herbert Vere Evatt was the Minister for External Affairs that played a major role in the creation of the UN. He worked hard to allow Australia to have a say at the UN and tried to prevent the body from being dominated by the US and USSR.

In September 1948, he was elected the President of the General Assembly of the UN. Australia became a participant in UN agencies such as UNESCO, WHO, UNICEF and ILO.

Australia participated in UN actions in Korea (1950 - 1953), Kuwait or Gulf War or Operation Desert Storm (1990), East Timor (1999), Iraq (2003) and Soloman Islands (2006).

In August 1999, East Timor voted for independence from Indonesia. Violence swept East Timor as militia groups supporting Indonesia attacked supporters of independence.

The UN asked Australia to lead a peacekeeping force into East Timor to stop the violence and to administer the country till it made the transition to self rule. UNTAET (the United Nations Transitional Administration in East Timor) was set up to help East Timor establish a democratic government.

Australia's ties with Asia stregthened from the 1970s, when Whitlam's government came into power and abolished the White Australia policy, the withdrawal of troops from Vietnam to build diplomatic relations with North Korea and North Vietnam.

The Whitlam's government approach to Asia was different, they did fear communist China and believed Australia should strive to work with its communist neighbours instead of confronting them.

Whitlam's government was the first western government to recognised the People's Republic of China. The economic relations between two countries have grown significantly however was temporary stopped due to the Tiananmen Square Massacre. Refer to August 2002, China signed a $25 billion oil and and gas agreement with Australia. Australia's acceptance of boat people and Australia's relationship with Indonesia.

Also need to mention treaties and organisations that have helped sustain our relation, either if it is an economic or military. This includes the Colombo Plan (1950), ANZUS treaty (1951), SEATO (1954) and APEC (1989).

Riot09

HSC
thanks omnipotence i havent done the topic yet at school but iv learned so much from this report i like the way how its structured id say about a 5/5 because it adressed the question and formal tone used.

sparrow2

HSC
omg thanks a million i really needed that thanks and yes full marks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)