• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Coleridge >< (1 Viewer)

Michael.Lim

Hi,

I'm not good at english and my trials are coming up soon and i want to get a feel of other peoples essay structure in comparison to mine. So i was wondering if anyone here has coleridge essays that i could read as an overview to get some sort of idea.

Also what are your feelings of the stimulus booklet. Which text do you think goes well with imaginative journeys?

I can't believe they want us to write about 2 poems, 2 text of our own, and one from the stimulus that s 5 TEXTS. *sigh

Any help would be good. Thank you

Michael.Lim

From what i heard from my teacher the best answers like the band 5/6 use 2 other text of our own

chrissy bee

imaginative journey texts

I think the Wind in the Willows is the best choice from the stimulus booklet and our teachers recommend that we do 2 poems even if the second colerige poem we analyse isn't as in-depth as the first and the same with our own 2 texts

aud

HSC
Mike? If that is you, and I'm assuming it is, we only need one related definitely and one as backup - they'll probably ask us for one, but in the tiny chance that they ask us for texts (plural) or at least two, then we need it, but I really don't think they will.

Just integrate your texts to your ideas, like have
Paragraph 1:
- topic sentence on idea
- poem
- poem
- BOS
- related
and so on... but yea, Henry told me to only write on one if it says at least one, because I can do much better on one in detail than picking out half of it to squash in another... the people that do more than one probably don't have two poems to talk about, but do say The Tempest or another text

Michael.Lim

Haha

Thanx Khym i'm presuming its you coz i know they way you write. But Paper 1 is over now. Thank God for that. Only paper 2 left. I'm preparing myself to fail now rather then to pass ^^.

The Nick

McBain
HSC
I got here a bit too late, but I find Atwood's Journey to the Interior suitable for Coleridge, especially Rime, as they both use the metaphor of physical journey for imaginative, and you can build from there

D.Larie

I would just like to ask How is 'The Wind in the Willows' related to imaginative journeys?

This is how I do my essays..I should change the structure, huh?

Intro

Paragraph 1:
-Theme
-'x' text
link it to
-'x2' text

Para 2:
-Theme
-'x3'
linked to
-'x'

and so on...

I'm not very good at essays.

Lorie

HSC
ok mate, your structure proabably needs some work. Try to look at it like this.

Intro - present a general comment (maybe even a quote), addressing the question. Give like a pro or con or both feeling towards to question.List your main ideas (themes) you only need like 3-4 (if that), and if you want meantion the texts your gonna use.

Body - Look at your ideas and discuss them in realation to your texts. Be sure to show the similarities and constrasts between texts. For he general structure of the paragraphs in the body i use peel:
P - point, your statement, the idea.
E - Elabrorate, explore in your idea, showing the relevance of your point
E - Example, quotes
L - Link it to the question

Conculsion - some up your ideas and present a logical answer with reasoning why you came to this conculsion.

Ps- some one tell me if i'm right, wrong, or just plain stupid. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

eth

HSC
This is copied over from what a said on another thread... But it explains how WitW is an imag. text.

The best way to approach a text for imag. journeys is to talk about the imaginative journey the composer brings the responder (ie you) on. Wind in the Willows is excellent for this, as you can talk about how Toad leads Rat and Mole into an imaginative journey over the potential of a caravan life, which then in turn leads the responder into a journey
Talk about the emotive language, the way Toad persuades Rat "Dear, good old Ratty" and the way he assumes leadership.

Also,
Michael.Lim said:
From what i heard from my teacher the best answers like the band 5/6 use 2 other text of our own
Theoretically, you can be asked for at least [size=+1]two[/size] texts of your own choosing, but they usually ask for at least one. For the best marks, you should do 2 Coleridge poems - the 4 count as a single text - but you can go less in-depth on the second, 2 texts from the stimulus booklet, again, the second can be less in depth, and 2 related texts, but have at least 3 so you can choose which are best for the question.

KK and RotAM work well together, you can use the fear evinced by others after the persona's experience to link them. I suggest WitW and Ivory Trail from the booklet.

Just remember, Coleridge is the prescribed text, so drop to minimum allowable from the booklet and related if you need more time to finish Coleridge, although they are all important.

bewitched05

Almost finished school!
HSC
from the stimulus booklet, journey to the interior links well with Kubla Khan as they both examine the creative process ie- the river in KK is creativity while Atwood explores the process of writing.
U could also do the ivory trail, road not taken and wind in the willows (tho its harder)hope that helps. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)