• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Coles leave query (1 Viewer)

empirestrike

HSC
Hi, i am trying to find out how much notice i should give for 2 days off this weekend.

I have worked every weekend the past year, and asked my manager for the weekend off for this week and he said it would be fine. I booked flights with a friend to go interstate for a few days. I rang up today to confirm and they said they cannot give me the leave as there is nobody to replace me and i didn't give enough notice.

I can't find how much notice i need to give on the awards document (http://www.sda.org.au/images/awards/award41.pdf).

I am going to try go to in and replace ny shift, but the manager on this weekend is a fat lazy bitch who doesn't want me to have the weekend off.

I work part time and have lots of leave accumulated.

What can I do? If the leave notice is longer than a week, can i use compassionate or anything else?

Thanks.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
You are meant to give two weeks. However verbal confirmation of leave is murky. Option a) tell whoever is in charge that I have been told I can have this weekend off, and I have booked flights etc. Option b) take sick leave. You are PPT after all.

Unless you work in the cash office or back dock or another department with hardly anyone in it I can't see it being a concern to find someone else.

empirestrike

HSC
Thanks for the response

Sadly I am a meat/backdock worker, the only one in my store. I am definite it wouldn't be hard for them just to have someone in for 5 hours on sat/sun to do what i do.

They haven't been arsed to train anyone else for me to have any days off for the past year.

As PPT, do i need to provide a doctors cert?

I am sure this manager will do anything and everything in their power to punish me for not turning up to work (which i am certain i cannot do)

Thanks

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Well which manager do you deal with most? The one who accepted your leave, or the one who told you no? And how many hows do you get in excess of your rostered hours?

If you mostly deal with the good manager and only get rostered hours, nothing can become of this. Re: sick leave, technically you need a doctors certificate but you can take other forms of leave ie. personal leave without explanation I think. At least this is the case at Woolworths. If I were you, I would ring them up today or whenever you are next in and tell them straight out that you are going on the weekend. Let them deal with the finding a replacement.

For future reference, next time its probably better to fill out an application form for leave and process it that way. Your weekend manager cannot refuse it then. I find it hard to believe that someone couldn't be trained to do any non-managerial job in a supermarket within a matter of hours. Poor excuse from the manager.

empirestrike

HSC
Always deal with the good manager.

I just remembered that my store manager is on sick leave and the shitty manager is temporary store manager until next week.

I only get rostered hours (20 a week), but would prefer not to get fired if i didn't show up at all, mainly as i need a decent reference for grad positions.

I am going to go in, but i am sure the manager won't budge and will basically tell me to fuck off.

empirestrike

HSC
Well, good manager = 2ic in store, dry goods / grocery manager / duty manager
Shitty manager = office manager, currently store manager

Going to go in now and tell them i can't shift plans.

Thanks.

Trentyboi

HSC
If they're going to treat you like shit, give them it back. Just call in sick.

aussie-boy

HSC
What do you mean by "punish you"??
What could they possibly do if you told them you weren't coming and didnt listen to further threats?
They need skilled workers, they aren't just going to fire you.
They can't dock pay, and probably won't dock any hours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)