Coles Myer Employment Process (2 Viewers)

*Minka*

HSC
HAHA. I was in at a Target today and a girl in front of me at the registers asked about how to get a job there and the checkout girl said 'trust me, you DON'T want to work here. Don't apply - it is not worth it and then it gets harder to find someething new wheny oug et to Uni'.

Great advice.

Dr_Doom

HSC
I would have said that and also "You should shop at woolies, it's cheaper". lol when I worked there and ppl came and ask me for an item and we didn't have it, I would refer them to woolies. And rave on about how good woolies is rofl.

Oh when I was doing work experience once I was wearing black pants and a white shirt. I was doing it at a book store.. Yeah well at lunch I went to the supermarket, and 2 people came up and asked me where I kept the toiletpaper. I was like wtf I don't work here. rofl! I should have said something witty..

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
seriously i think the process is f#cked....you have to go through all that crap just to get one job at moving things through a scanner, i will never ever apply at those places again, i'd rather be a butcher or a cleaner then going through the process.....all that waiting and the applications...they act like its an application to uac or some shiyat.

LynH1326

HSC
shellsbells15 said:
Don't Work At Target!! Do Not Even Apply To Work There!! Its Seriosuly Not Worth It!!
Depends which Target store. Mine is great! Been there four months now (just got my discount card). Only afew people that try to screw everyone over... well one really..... but all that aside, it'll get you a job somewhere else very very easily if you stick with it for awhile.

It took me forever to get that job though... applied in August, got the quiz thing in September. Got an interview in Ocotber (only a 1-on-1) and got the job late November. I guess it depends on the time of year you apply...

Last edited:

*Minka*

HSC
LynH1326 said:
Depends which Target store. Mine is great! Been there four months now (just got my discount card). Only afew people that try to screw everyone over... well one really..... but all that aside, it'll get you a job somewhere else very very easily if you stick with it for awhile.
Nope. Sigh. Been trying to find something new for ages now and still no luck.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Here's a tip.

With all due respect, I think the worser you fair in the online quiz, the more likely you get an interview.

Three of my friends got 98, 93 and 92%. No interviews.

I know two people with 28 and 56%. Got interviews.

Another person tried for the first half and, after he cbf, randomly selected answers for around half of them. Got 68%, got an interview.

pete_mate

HSC
Omnidragon said:
Here's a tip.

With all due respect, I think the worser you fair in the online quiz, the more likely you get an interview.

Three of my friends got 98, 93 and 92%. No interviews.

I know two people with 28 and 56%. Got interviews.

Another person tried for the first half and, after he cbf, randomly selected answers for around half of them. Got 68%, got an interview.
i wouldn't be suprised. coles is just a shit company. My dad was in takeover negotations with the ceo etc. and he was a complete moron.

enva

HSC
N/A
The colesmyer process is rather annoying, i had to apply online recently for a new coles store that is going to open, yet i work for bilo. They then called and told me i had to add in two work referees, i doubt i will get an interview for a casual position. For anyone who wants to work at bilo/coles in checkouts make sure you pay attention to store politics, it can be amusing at times.

The problem scans sheets help, if they are done properly but it would be better if registers had a dedicated Max unit at all times.
Seriously the other week the amount of price checks pissed me off, for less then 10mins my time consisted of:
Price check register 8
mop and bucket to vault then out to back dock
price check register 6,7,9
serve at kiosk
mop and bucket to the vault
bring a trolley to the vault and take the card board to compactor

Then they friggin complained i wasnt doing my job, which was to be down the front. I was standing there going wtf

Last edited:

Dr_Doom

HSC
pete_mate said:
i wouldn't be suprised. coles is just a shit company. My dad was in takeover negotations with the ceo etc. and he was a complete moron.
Yeh well they can shove any goose bag there coz isn't there company [SIZE=-1]proprietary limited ([/SIZE]more controlled by share holders)?

santaslayer

HSC
sparkl3z said:
seriously i think the process is f#cked....you have to go through all that crap just to get one job at moving things through a scanner, i will never ever apply at those places again, i'd rather be a butcher or a cleaner then going through the process.....all that waiting and the applications...they act like its an application to uac or some shiyat.
Not really.

Recently I had to go through the initial handing of resume, go through a 45min phone screening process (they ask you questions out of the blue and you answer on the spot), a one on one interview in George St and a 10min phone call to both my referees asking me about my abilities and character.

I imagine I will also have to go through a few days worth of training and induction. I will probably also have to meet up with them to sign the job contract. I'm not sure of the details though.

This is only for a Telstra Shop retail sales officer job.

I just think it's getting harder to get a job these days. OMG!! =/

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
mop and bucket to the vault
What the hell could you possibly have in your vault that would require a mop and bucket?! Ours consists of our cigarettes, and dvd's, neither of which could possibly need to be mopped up!!

Dr_Doom

HSC
What if the cigarettes broke open and there is tobacco all over the floor. Then a mouse was eating it so someone killed it. Now all the mouses guts are all over the floor. So the only possible way to clean it would be with a mop and bucket. Cheers

enva

HSC
N/A
There was a leak in the vault from the light fixture?? or something like that

rozymisty

HSC
Oh god, dont get me started on how shit it is working at Coles. I started there in October 2004, and got about 2-4 shifts per week which was fine when I was starting out. Then gradualy it decreased down to none, and one week the other manager said that a few people's hours have been cut cause of the budget, so I assumed I had been fired. That was the end of August last year. Beginnning of this year, I got a letter from Coles noting that I hadnt worked for ages and did I still want to keep working there. I was like YEAHHH of course i bloody do! I have to put myself through uni and need the bloody money.

So I rang up, the new boss would give me a few hours, and he did, he started me on like 20hrs which i was very happy about. Cause I think a lot of people quit, cause it was a new store when we started, and so we were guaratneed more hours. Then that manager moved to a different job/company cause they had better pay and conditions (dont blame him at all), and so the other manager took over the hours. He said that Id be getting about 20hrs and I said that was fine but it may affect my youth allowance, and mum went pscyho about me worrying about getting that cut.

So Id be working like friday-monday which meant no time for study, and having to miss lectures to catch up on study. But since i live on the other side of town from work, i have to go and stay at mums place casue the buses around my area are shit, nothing after 4pm on wknds...and mum wonders why i want to bloody move next semester!!!!!

Then before easter, i told my boss that I needed to change my roster hours and he said why? I need you to work. But i said uni is much more important to me at the moment, i want the job as well but still. I changed it to monday, wed and fri. THe boss obviously didnt pay attention to that new roster cause he keeps giving me weekends. THe other day i worked sunday and he said now wer're gng to be short staffed casue i had to leave 1hr early so i could get home, since i dont want to stay at mums any more. And the hours have started to decrease from 20-12hrs a week. I keep telling the boss I dont want 4 hr shifts casue its annoying. but he wont listen. And they expected me to come in yesterday on call to work 5.30-9.30 and wa like yeah if you want to pay for my cab fare or drop me over the other side of town!

And this week he's only given me sat 9-1 and sun 4.30-6.30pm...wow 6hrs..thats realy going back to what happened last year.

And its depressing working there too! Most of the time i work there, its a bit too quiet and just standing there doing nothing, and Im always being put on at the very end register. Like ive been sick lately caseu of the stress of work, study and life. Mum treats me like shit so thats more pressure.

After finding out the hours for this week, I immediately confirmed that I am gong to quit Coles, or maybe just do one shift a week to keep my discount card :rofl: . But i spent yesterday calling up various hospitals and nursing agencies to find a job as a assistant in nursing cause im doing B Nursing, and want a job that is much more relevant to my degree than being a checkout chick!!!

But i finally found one agency that didnt need me to have Aged Care experience or have done my 2nd prac which im doing in May, and Ive got an interview this Friday which is great. The guy said taht the interview would just basically be a general chat, filling in forms like super.... and to bring my bank details. So it pretty much sounds like I have got the job! Thing with doing agency work is that you dont really get to know the hospital routine but hey its money! I just basically have to look after people... I might do some nights cause that pays a lot more as far as i remember from what the nurses told me on my first prac.

Mum isnt going to be hapy about me quitting coles since that pays me more money ($19/hr compared to 14 or so). But stuff her! She's the one who told me not to do nursing cause i wouldnt like it, and to do primary education instead since I liked the work experience. That was a total waste of my time. So this time I am not listening to her at all. She's not the one putting me through uni-she's too stingy to pay for me, but for sure she'll put my stupid bratty sister through uni, pay her HECS fees etc. If I had just done my nursing degree when i wanted, I would be out working now, and would be a 2nd year RN, wouldve done my grad year last year.

Hmm sorry about going off a bit off track.

oh yeah I applied last year for the Myer xmas casual, got called up for a group interview, had to reschedule cause i was sick, and then when i was meant to do the interview, coles rang me up to work that day, and so i had to ring up the interviewers and say work called me in and i cant cut back any offers, and they said they'd book me into another one but i never heard from them again. I That would be cause i rescheduled 2 intervew....not a good look. SHouldve just gone to he interview and stuffed wrk.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Woah, you did your HSC in 01'? Oldskooool..

*Minka*

HSC
rozymisty said:
Then before easter, i told my boss that I needed to change my roster hours and he said why? I need you to work. But i said uni is much more important to me at the moment.

And its depressing working there too!

Mum isnt going to be hapy about me quitting coles since that pays me more money ($19/hr compared to 14 or so). But stuff her! She's the one who told me not to do nursing cause i wouldnt like it, and to do primary education instead since I liked the work experience.
I say work where it makes you happy! I'd happily take a couple of dollars and hour pay cut to be somewhere else than Target. I'd rather be happy and getting paid $30 less a week than being miserable for a tiny bit more money.

Discount card isn't even worth worrying about - cheapskates. Diva gave me 50% off, not 5%!

And yep, sure is depressing being a cheakout chick :(

*Minka*

HSC
I think it is 7.5 at Myer, but thats about as good as it gets.

DooGseY

HSC
ToO LaZy ^* said:
is the staff discount card the same with every coles myer brand? ie 5%?
coz i know liquorland is also 5%...
Everyone under Coles Myer gets the same card, but the amount off differs for each brand you buy at. I remember most brands are 5%, Bi Lo and some others might be slightly less than that though. It's a pretty shit discount, so I don't bother carrying the card at all.

So Id be working like friday-monday which meant no time for study, and having to miss lectures to catch up on study. But since i live on the other side of town from work, i have to go and stay at mums place casue the buses around my area are shit, nothing after 4pm on wknds...and mum wonders why i want to bloody move next semester!!!!!
While I sympathise, you're probably only available weekends and you can't blame coles for that or the buses in your area, and I'm guessing you don't have your license either which isn't coles' fault. Try transferring to a closer store or even another brand. Recently a guy just transferred to my work from another store, he's way closer to home and is getting 3-4 times as much work, so ask around.

rozymisty

HSC
Well I think i have to wait till im 26 to get my licence, casue my eyes are really shit and on the borderline for the legal sight which is very scary, and my eyes will stop getting shittier aperently when im 26...great 4 yrs.

Yes I agree its not works fault abot having to work around uni, but he used to give me those 4 days, lots of hours and now hardly anything!!!

I would transfer to a store closer to me, but the people i lived with when i first moved out of home shop there, and so I dont exactly want to be serving them when they treated me rather awfully....

Taking the assistant nursing job is going to be much better cause its relevant and will make thigns easier for when I graduate, casue i wil have watched the RNs doing various stuff.

I so cant wait to start this job.

OH and yes im an old schooler-thanks for the reminder lol. Its difficult to think that this is my 5th year out of school-VERY SCARY, especially when it feels like i was in yr 11 only last year kinda if you know what i mean, and my youngest sister is now in yr 11...and I was in yr 12 when my brother went to yrr 8 and he finished yr 12 last year!!! Yes i did finish in 2001, though I did my QSC, not HSC....the HSC sounds like a lot mroe stress and time wasting than the QSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)