• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Coles supermarkets 1 on 1 interview (1 Viewer)

mooshoepork

HSC
Hey, long time lurker, first time poster. After nearly 2 years of coles' online system, I have got an interview with the manager at my local store. I didn't have to do a group interview. What can I expect from this? Any specific questions that anyone knows of? I am in year 12 VCE. They sent me an email saying I needed to bring in a written reference. I haven't worked before, is it okay to ask my teachers for one of these? Cheers.

SmokedSalmon

HSC
Someone who can talk you up and make you appear hard working and an enthusiastic individual is what they are looking for in a reference! A teacher you are chummy with is a perfect referee. :)
One on one interviews generally involve them asking you why you want to work at coles, what skills/experiences can you bring to the store, etc...

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
How to score a job at Coles?

Let the manager know you'll fit into their culture.

For example, if a customer has lined up for yonks waiting for the staff to fix up the cash register, you need to know the correct behaviour.

Firstly, don't open any new cash registers. Make the customers wait. Don't in any way assist them and just chat away to your 3 other colleagues, while the 4th one half-heartedly fixes the register.

Now when the register is fixed and the customers do come up to you to pay, make sure you ignore him and just chat away to your colleague who's on a ciggy break, talking about how hot this guy in your high school is. When the customer leaves, make sure you don't say thank you. This way you'll really piss the customer off, consistent of course with Coles standards.

CieL

HSC
^ Hm Melbourne. That pretty much sums it up.

Anyways.. I had a direct 1-1 interview..

It was generally just chatting..
If I know what my position entails, if I'm studying, what hours I'd like to work and when I'm available..

References.. at my first job (not Coles), I put in my Year Advisor (person that is "in charge" of a grade at my HS), my favourite teacher, and my aunt's workplace (which is overseas lol) that I did do random jobs at..

I put my Year Advisor first because I knew that she had no idea who I was. She always called me by the name of another girl who looks similar to me, so I'm sure that she'd say random good stuff out of confusion =]

But yeah, after the interview, they rang me back 3hrs later and told me I was hired, then gave me a date and time for the in store induction.. and told me to do the online induction too..

Redwan

HSC
N/A
i had a one on one interview at coles last year, I didnt have to do much, the manager asked me stuff like briefly describe yourself, you achievements, Extra cirricular activities, hobbies. basic stuff really, i got the job no worries

but i had to work at the Deli which absolutley sucked so i quit after like 5 shifts.

mooshoepork

HSC
Hey, I did the interview, prepared so much, brought everything they wanted. and it ended up going for 2 minutes and he didn't even look at my things. He was really happy though and sounded enthusiastic. He said my avaliability was good and he goes off that, so he is going to call me on monday. Everything felt to me like it went extremely well. I shook his hand, and spoke clearly and confidently. I hope I get the job. I also heard if I do, to NOT sign the union thing? Whatever that is. And that they will pressure me to sign it.

pete_mate

HSC
i honestly have no idea why people are not only willing but dedicated to jumping through the ridiculous hoops of coles' application process.

I mean, ffs its a retail job, goto any store in a mall talk to the manager for 15mins and you'll get a job that pays better and is more enjoyable.

Plus you won't have to attend a series of interviews and assessments that should really be reserved for skilled white-collar jobs.

mooshoepork

HSC
Such as?

edit: coles is a 3 minute work from my house. The nearest mall is a 30 min public transport trip.

fugi

HSC
I also heard if I do, to NOT sign the union thing? Whatever that is. And that they will pressure me to sign it.
im also atttending a 1-on-1 interview, and same as u, i didnt hve to do a group interview. what dress code is it? and what is the union thing?

Evilo

HSC
DO NOT sign up to the union (unless ur parents are very pro union). They take money out of your pay for "membership". And you'll only need the union if you actually have pay disputes (which to be honest in a big store like coles is quite rare). If you're scared of saying no, just say you'll think about it, and don't sign up. But the union is a waste of time and money.

You also lose many pay entitlements by joining the union. If someone wants to question me about that, ill go into detail, but i cbf writing about it now.

PS - the union is shit. For liquorland they tried to get a 25% pay increase. Coles bargained them down to 3%, over a 3 year period. That was considered a "victory" for the union.

Any more questions abou the union, pm me and i'll try and help you out.

randomnezz

HSC
darn, i just recently signed up for the union... just did the induction on friday but $4 per week doesn't sound too bad though :/

Evilo

HSC
you can still quit the union i think. Unions are useful in the pre 90's era, and in an industrial workplace. But a big company like coles/wollies etc has to much to lose to fuk its employers over. I'm tight, i'd want my $4

randomnezz

HSC
lol me too, come to think of it what if i don't work a week would tell still take another 4 bucks out of me :? hum if they do i guess bye bye union :p

HSC
I don't know if this varies from state to state, but the WA SDA takes your fees out depending on how many hours you work in a week. For example, if you work between 1-10 hours they take $3.20, 11-20 its $4.90 and 20+ its $6.75. (This is approximate but it does demonstrate that they won't take money off you if you dont work.)

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
randomnezz said:
lol me too, come to think of it what if i don't work a week would tell still take another 4 bucks out of me :? hum if they do i guess bye bye union :p
if you didnt work that week...no they dont take anything out of your pay, FFS its $4 man, and you never know what will happen down the road, just be safe and again FFS its $4 from your weekly wage.

CieL

HSC
babikakez said:
I don't know if this varies from state to state, but the WA SDA takes your fees out depending on how many hours you work in a week. For example, if you work between 1-10 hours they take $3.20, 11-20 its $4.90 and 20+ its $6.75. (This is approximate but it does demonstrate that they won't take money off you if you dont work.)
Yeah, I thought it depended on how many hours a week you work too.
However, sometimes it's so rorted for me.

Sometimes it's $3.30, sometimes $5.40, sometimes $7.40.

However, I was talking to this full time guy and he says he only pays $4.xx every week. He works double my hours too.

Maybe it varies a bit with casual/ppt/ft people.. *shrugs* shouldn't though

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Just got the job:uhhuh: , for a casual at a new store, everyone is new, so basically a store of "trainees", getting online induction soon:hammer: damn!. Also what does coles pay for a casual in VIC, 17yrs, 18yrs. Got the group stupid session coming up, will all the managers be there???, and what do we discuss in this session (besides bank stuff etc...), i am either doing dairy, grocery or customer service, but after working at maccas for 2 years and got a retail trainshepp thingi, i take it i would be on customer service

:uhhuh: so exited

CieL

HSC
milocole said:
Got the group stupid session coming up, will all the managers be there???, and what do we discuss in this session (besides bank stuff etc...), i am either doing dairy, grocery or customer service, but after working at maccas for 2 years and got a retail trainshepp thingi, i take it i would be on customer service
Congrats!
I hated hospitality. Come home smelling like grease all the time =]

Not necessarily all the managers will be there.
When I was at my group induction, it was in the lunch room. The store manager took us through the paperwork. Stuff like signing pay rates & the terms and conditions BS, superannuation, union, etc.. Then random people just popped into the lunch room.. And I got to say hi to the grocery manager, office people, union lady..

Oh, we also got to watch old videos.. stuff like the types of cleaning products we use, the labels.. intro to where the safety/fire equipment is.. all the CODES we use (eg. code red, code orange, code blue...), where we meet up if we need to evacuate due to fire..

Basic stuff.

Then after the induction I got to go on a register to do this tutorial on how to operate the registers [I was to become a service assistant].. which was MIGHTY boring.. but I reckon even if you dont do it you wont have any problems picking it up.. it's a very simple system.. After that I got to go on a register and serve people for 15mins to complete my hourly pay kinda thing..

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
cool, anyway they dont push you to the limit do they, also, im a casual at a busy store suposibly, so does the avergae casual empolyee get about 10hrs perweek???, also whats the discount:confused: 20%????, any other store benefits???

CieL

HSC
milocole said:
cool, anyway they dont push you to the limit do they, also, im a casual at a busy store suposibly, so does the avergae casual empolyee get about 10hrs perweek???, also whats the discount:confused: 20%????, any other store benefits???
Depends on the Service Manager.

Discount is 5%.

Not many benefits really.. I mean it's a piss easy job with ok pay.. we scab freebies.. and raid the fridge.. and get random free stuff which are about to go off lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)