Collection of questions about university acceptance (1 Viewer)

Interdice

HSC
1. I might have ADHD. Will I get a better selection rank. i checked UNSW, and UAC, and they list a variety of disadvantes and I don't think ADHD is one.
2. IS the LSR accurate? Will unis accept a LSR of say 88? What is the lowest LSR for last few years in bachelor of Engineering UNSW, USYD?
3. Will USYD have lower atar requirements for engineering than UNSW since there is less demand?
4. Why is USYD 7k more expensive than UNSW for engineering?

carrotsss

HSC
1. Don’t know, but I don’t think so
2. The LSR is generally pretty accurate, its last years rank so it may be slightly higher/lower than previous years. Last year it was ≈90 for both usyd and unsw, but keep in mind you’ll almost certainly get 5 bonus points so in reality it’s more like 85
3. Not really
4. It’s not, unsw charges $6880 a year and usyd costs $8301 a year. It doesn’t really matter though, it all goes on HECS so you don’t have to pay anything until you’re earning above a threshold

Interdice

HSC
1. Don’t know, but I don’t think so
2. The LSR is generally pretty accurate, its last years rank so it may be slightly higher/lower than previous years. Last year it was ≈90 for both usyd and unsw, but keep in mind you’ll almost certainly get 5 bonus points so in reality it’s more like 85
3. Not really
4. It’s not, unsw charges $6880 a year and usyd costs $8301 a year. It doesn’t really matter though, it all goes on HECS so you don’t have to pay anything until you’re earning above a threshold
Okay I did the math it's more like a 5.6k difference. Still quite alot. Still a difference.

There are later rounds, where if spaces aren't filled they add more people. I was just wondering what the lowest atar someone's gotten in with. I doubt I'm getting 85 atar. maybe low 80s if im lucky.

carrotsss

HSC
Okay I did the math it's more like a 5.6k difference. Still quite alot. Still a difference.

There are later rounds, where if spaces aren't filled they add more people. I was just wondering what the lowest atar someone's gotten in with. I doubt I'm getting 85 atar. maybe low 80s if im lucky.
The LSR is based on all of the rounds. The lowest ATAR for both last year was 81, but all that means was that one person got 9 bonus points, and it's worth looking at UNSW/Usyd's websites to see which bonus points you're personally eligible for. You should try to aim for your ATAR + bonus points to be above 92 to comfortably get into UNSW/usyd engineering

Interdice

HSC
The LSR is based on all of the rounds. The lowest ATAR for both last year was 81, but all that means was that one person got 9 bonus points, and it's worth looking at UNSW/Usyd's websites to see which bonus points you're personally eligible for. You should try to aim for your ATAR + bonus points to be above 92 to comfortably get into UNSW/usyd engineering
Oh. I thought it was inflated :(

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
I highly suggest doing early entry for UNSW if thats possible, basically a free get-in pass for engineering through that. I would still suggest doing the engineering early entry programs for other unis which give unconditional offers e.g macq or try other programs e.g UTS engineering (i forgot da name) just in case.

If not (since you're not in a disadvantaged school), I wouldn't fret regardless since FEAS as temporary said but also if you're very serious about your studies, getting 90+ is more than feasible if not guaranteed. Like if you're putting consistent hours per day, just keep on going and don't worry too much since you'll hit your target.

Interdice

HSC
Don't fret, if your ATAR is within 10 points of the lowest selection rank, you can still get into engineering at UNSW through a scheme called FEAS: Portfolio Entry | UNSW Sydney
I highly suggest doing early entry for UNSW if thats possible, basically a free get-in pass for engineering through that. I would still suggest doing the engineering early entry programs for other unis which give unconditional offers e.g macq or try other programs e.g UTS engineering (i forgot da name) just in case.

If not (since you're not in a disadvantaged school), I wouldn't fret regardless since FEAS as temporary said but also if you're very serious about your studies, getting 90+ is more than feasible if not guaranteed. Like if you're putting consistent hours per day, just keep on going and don't worry too much since you'll hit your target.
Thank you. Your words mean alot for me. :)

However I'm still terrified. For Extension, the teacher is already "grooming" two students for E4s. Neither of them are me. The marks are very close though. 40 percent of internals and I'm 55 percent. The average would be around 65 percent Highest would be around. 80-90. THere is still 80 percent of the course to go. And I hope I can get at least 70 percent for the next extnesion test. I've shown great improvement in advanced hope it can carry on. My goal is to top the class. There are about 11 E4s per year. Most of them go to the extension 2 class which is much smarter than our class. They're near geniuses though. Much smarter than our class. The smart advanced class is technically smarter than us. I'll need to ace the next test and the trials. I'm already preparing. I fear it's already to late to get a band e4 which I really need to compensate for science

Physics and Chemistry are alot more bleak. For chemistry I'm ranked bottom 40 percent. 45 percent of interals have gone and I'm on 65 percent. Average is around 75 percent. For Physics I'm 55 percent and ranking near bottom of the class because of key mistakes I made during the depth study. While my school is pretty decent for math so long as you are in top 15, we are trash for science. My Physics teacher expects 3 band 6s and 5 band 5s rest band 4/3s. The cohort is around 25. I think I can recover for CHem, and maybe get a band 5, but I'm done for Physics. Problem is that the cohort sucks

English I think I'll get raw mark of 70-75. Not too bad not too good.

We have one of the best SDD classes in the region. Last year we beat all of the neighbouring high schools, all of which are higher rnaked than us. We are on par with selective schools. I'm above average by very little, and most of the kids are extension and very smart, so I'm hoping for a band 6. I'm very close to ranks 1-2. about 14 percent difference. I think I'll be able to get rank 3.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Thank you. Your words mean alot for me. :)

However I'm still terrified. For Extension, the teacher is already "grooming" two students for E4s. Neither of them are me. The marks are very close though. 40 percent of internals and I'm 55 percent. The average would be around 65 percent Highest would be around. 80-90. THere is still 80 percent of the course to go. And I hope I can get at least 70 percent for the next extnesion test. I've shown great improvement in advanced hope it can carry on. My goal is to top the class. There are about 11 E4s per year. Most of them go to the extension 2 class which is much smarter than our class. They're near geniuses though. Much smarter than our class. The smart advanced class is technically smarter than us. I'll need to ace the next test and the trials. I'm already preparing. I fear it's already to late to get a band e4 which I really need to compensate for science

Physics and Chemistry are alot more bleak. For chemistry I'm ranked bottom 40 percent. 45 percent of interals have gone and I'm on 65 percent. Average is around 75 percent. For Physics I'm 55 percent and ranking near bottom of the class because of key mistakes I made during the depth study. While my school is pretty decent for math so long as you are in top 15, we are trash for science. My Physics teacher expects 3 band 6s and 5 band 5s rest band 4/3s. The cohort is around 25. I think I can recover for CHem, and maybe get a band 5, but I'm done for Physics. Problem is that the cohort sucks

English I think I'll get raw mark of 70-75. Not too bad not too good.

We have one of the best SDD classes in the region. Last year we beat all of the neighbouring high schools, all of which are higher rnaked than us. We are on par with selective schools. I'm above average by very little, and most of the kids are extension and very smart, so I'm hoping for a band 6. I'm very close to ranks 1-2. about 14 percent difference. I think I'll be able to get rank 3.
For Ext 1)

Don't worry about everyone else, don't worry who your teacher's "grooming". MX1 will always be a cohort where marks are thin and exist on margins. The only thing you can do for MX1 is just keep on refining your ability to perform in time without making as much silly mistakes and keep on hitting those relatively high marks.

The half yearly was the time where I gave myself a defined gap from #2 and me and the trial was where I established my place at 1st. No need to aim for 1st, just aim to overtake the people ahead of you and don't slip down. You'll do fine. MX1 GIVES OUT E4S LIKE ITS A PARTICIPATION AWARD (~35% of people get it), if you just put your head down and grind, MX1 will do wonders.

For Phys)
Physics requires a lot of hard work and dilligence, you just have to be efficient in your study (follow my physics guide) and there's not much there. You either know your physics or you don't.

For english)
Just grind out essays for this, try to get an essay draft where you can be flexible with it in your own head and mold it to different questions, always try to frame your assessments as if you're studying for the HSC. I spent the most time here and it gave me my ~99 ATAR.

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
unrelated q but how do u even find ur school ranking? how do u know where u need to be in subjects to do well based on how ur school has done??
hscninja provides data on how many b6's your school has gotten in each subject in previous years, or you can do it manually. For the first question, I'm not sure

carrotsss

HSC
hscninja provides data on how many b6's your school has gotten in each subject in previous years, or you can do it manually. For the first question, I'm not sure
Also in addition to this if you ask your teachers they might be able to provide further data such a b5s and average marks, which aren’t publicly available

hscgirl

HSC
how do u know where u need to be in subjects to do well based on how ur school has done??
at ur school, u need to be ranked first in all ur subjects to not be 'scaled down' with the rest or the cohort if u wanna get a 98+ atar

carrotsss

HSC
at ur school, u need to be ranked first in all ur subjects to not be 'scaled down' with the rest or the cohort if u wanna get a 98+ atar
I think you’re overestimating the difficulty of a 98 ATAR, a band 6 in every subject can usually get a 98 and if ur school gets multiple band 6s in a subject then you can still be pretty safe as long as you’re in that top few

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
I think you’re overestimating the difficulty of a 98 ATAR, a band 6 in every subject can usually get a 98 and if ur school gets multiple band 6s in a subject then you can still be pretty safe as long as you’re in that top few
no he speaking fax. if u in a shit school good luck getting 98+ without being top in all ur subjects, or the bare minimum at least top 3. that being said my friend who was pre close to me (in both friendship and school marks) got ~98 ATAR with a couple of B6s so ya

hscgirl

HSC
yeah, i think it also depends on ur cohort (because lower-ranked schools seem to fluctuate much more in their rank than higher-ranked schools). like some years the highest atar at the school is like 97 or less, and other years it is like 98 (but only one person got it)
also i'm pretty sure it's very common to get less than a 98 atar even if u get a b6 in all ur subjects - depending on ur hsc subjects and if u get a low instead of a high b6

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)