Collection of questions about university acceptance (1 Viewer)

Interdice

HSC
Well I'm speaking for top 5 to top 10 roughly. The ranks after that are negligible and I admit there is extreme margins after that.
For Ext 1)

Don't worry about everyone else, don't worry who your teacher's "grooming". MX1 will always be a cohort where marks are thin and exist on margins. The only thing you can do for MX1 is just keep on refining your ability to perform in time without making as much silly mistakes and keep on hitting those relatively high marks.

The half yearly was the time where I gave myself a defined gap from #2 and me and the trial was where I established my place at 1st. No need to aim for 1st, just aim to overtake the people ahead of you and don't slip down. You'll do fine. MX1 GIVES OUT E4S LIKE ITS A PARTICIPATION AWARD (~35% of people get it), if you just put your head down and grind, MX1 will do wonders.

For Phys)
Physics requires a lot of hard work and dilligence, you just have to be efficient in your study (follow my physics guide) and there's not much there. You either know your physics or you don't.

For english)
Just grind out essays for this, try to get an essay draft where you can be flexible with it in your own head and mold it to different questions, always try to frame your assessments as if you're studying for the HSC. I spent the most time here and it gave me my ~99 ATAR.
For Ext 1)

Don't worry about everyone else, don't worry who your teacher's "grooming". MX1 will always be a cohort where marks are thin and exist on margins. The only thing you can do for MX1 is just keep on refining your ability to perform in time without making as much silly mistakes and keep on hitting those relatively high marks.

The half yearly was the time where I gave myself a defined gap from #2 and me and the trial was where I established my place at 1st. No need to aim for 1st, just aim to overtake the people ahead of you and don't slip down. You'll do fine. MX1 GIVES OUT E4S LIKE ITS A PARTICIPATION AWARD (~35% of people get it), if you just put your head down and grind, MX1 will do wonders.

For Phys)
Physics requires a lot of hard work and dilligence, you just have to be efficient in your study (follow my physics guide) and there's not much there. You either know your physics or you don't.

For english)
Just grind out essays for this, try to get an essay draft where you can be flexible with it in your own head and mold it to different questions, always try to frame your assessments as if you're studying for the HSC. I spent the most time here and it gave me my ~99 ATAR.
Haha. I'm not really worrying about my teacher's "grooming".

But the statement participation award is kinda wrong though. 3 people are estimated to get band 6s. In a class of 12 ext 1 students. I'm probably one of them. 2 people are estimated to get E4s. One of them is from the Ext 2 class. Rn I have 55% in extension, and the 2nd highest guy in my class has around 64 percent average. So anymans E4. I spoke to a guy in the Extension 2 class who was pissed about his 70 percent. Claimed that it was only top 10 and he wanted hiher. Usually only 10 people get E4s. Seems pretty hard. Luckily for me both of those asighments were weighted 20 percent total including hsc. Still anyman's E4.

I have a plan for English. Just write essays lol.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Haha. I'm not really worrying about my teacher's "grooming".

But the statement participation award is kinda wrong though. 3 people are estimated to get band 6s. In a class of 12 ext 1 students. I'm probably one of them. 2 people are estimated to get E4s. One of them is from the Ext 2 class. Rn I have 55% in extension, and the 2nd highest guy in my class has around 64 percent average. So anymans E4. I spoke to a guy in the Extension 2 class who was pissed about his 70 percent. Claimed that it was only top 10 and he wanted hiher. Usually only 10 people get E4s. Seems pretty hard. Luckily for me both of those asighments were weighted 20 percent total including hsc. Still anyman's E4.

I have a plan for English. Just write essays lol.
Estimation is just that, if you continue at this progress you might or might not get your E4. It's possible for you to make a turn around in your upcoming tasks and trials to get into that position if that makes sense. You're not too far away from that 2nd guy and if you just dedicate more time you can possibly beat him.

I've seen it happen with other ppl in other schools and in my class for MX1/2 and it ultimately came down to how they thought about their ranking.

If you're set in the mindset that X people are estimated to get E4s and it might be too late for me to get E4 due to this and this, and someone in MX2 is ... yadda yadda [I've heard this spiel 1000x] then you'll make it true. Its a self fulfilling prophecy and its a shame people start becoming defeatist this soon.

You got 2 more terms in total and if you just fight for the sake of fighting, you'll do much better. At worst, you fail to hit that E4 range, and at best you succeed - either way you'll see your marks will go up more than if you haven't.

Just writing essays for english is inefficient if you do it in exam time periods and I highly suggest you avoid that but if you do space it out throughout the term and are diligent in how you write your essay, your timing of it, getting feedback - you'll be set for B6.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Estimation is just that, if you continue at this progress you might or might not get your E4. It's possible for you to make a turn around in your upcoming tasks and trials to get into that position if that makes sense. You're not too far away from that 2nd guy and if you just dedicate more time you can possibly beat him.

I've seen it happen with other ppl in other schools and in my class for MX1/2 and it ultimately came down to how they thought about their ranking.

If you're set in the mindset that X people are estimated to get E4s and it might be too late for me to get E4 due to this and this, and someone in MX2 is ... yadda yadda [I've heard this spiel 1000x] then you'll make it true. Its a self fulfilling prophecy and its a shame people start becoming defeatist this soon.

You got 2 more terms in total and if you just fight for the sake of fighting, you'll do much better. At worst, you fail to hit that E4 range, and at best you succeed - either way you'll see your marks will go up more than if you haven't.

Just writing essays for english is inefficient if you do it in exam time periods and I highly suggest you avoid that but if you do space it out throughout the term and are diligent in how you write your essay, your timing of it, getting feedback - you'll be set for B6.
Ultimately it's up to your mindset, all I'm saying is to not get into this game of predicting ranks and marks and if its worth it to keep fighting. You never know what happens, perhaps #1 might become lazy in their studies, perhaps you do really well in your half yearlies and you trump #2 etc. you HAVE to capitalise on any opportunity thats possible regardless if its likely or not.

I guarantee I would not reach this ATAR if I had that mindset because the way the english marks were projected, my english teacher believed X girl would top Eng Adv and would always promote her for everything english related e.g giving seminars to yr 10 students, teaching class how to write creatives etc. but I always fought hard in Eng Adv till the day came where my teacher was like, "Yeah, go for #1, you are very close", from "Just focus on trying to improve X,Y,Z and maybe you can get into top 3".

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
1. Apply for eas/early offers iirc engineering was at like a 65 atar entry in 2021.
2. Worry less about potential atar and keep grinding those papers for maths. You've got quite a while before trials/HSC.
3. Your atar mark is a byproduct of your hardwork so no point fretting about what you "could" get.

You got this 💪

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)