• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Collection of Stories? (1 Viewer)

bento

HSC
Hi, can anyone tell me if they know whether a collection of stories has to be three or more or if it can be only two stories?
At the moment I have two stories basically complete but I've reached the word limit. I don't plan to write another...so are there any requirements?

ellen.louise

HSC
collection
noun [C]
1 a group of objects of one type that have been collected by one person or in one place:
a private art collection
a valuable stamp collection

2 an amount of money collected from several people, or the act of collecting money:
We're having a collection for Tom's retirement present.

3 a lot of things or people:
There's quite a collection of toothbrushes in the bathroom.

4 a range of new clothes produced by one clothes designer:
Kenzo's summer/winter collection

I would generally classify a collection as three or more. I guess you should ask your teacher what's best

bento

HSC
uhh I don't know. She said she thinks two will be okay but she was going to check with BOS...but I don't think she has yet. I started with three stories but one of them was going nowhere so I cut it. I really hope two is enough...

ellen.louise

HSC
bento said:
uhh I don't know. She said she thinks two will be okay but she was going to check with BOS...but I don't think she has yet. I started with three stories but one of them was going nowhere so I cut it. I really hope two is enough...
It should be I guess. Do you have to classify it as a collection though? Could you just give them a related title and not put them in that category? (I don't do ext 2 so I don't know the rules here)

pakigal

HSC
I've got two short stories as well and my teacher didn't say anything about it being wrong so I'm sure it's fine

bento

HSC
Ok that's cool. I was reading the syllabus and it has no specifications about having three or more.
Pakigal, are your two stories roughly the same length? At the moment one of mine is a fair bit longer than the other so I'm not sure whether to even them out.

pakigal

HSC
Na, one of mine is 3000 words and the other is 5000. I asked my teacher about it and she said it's perfectly alright for it to be like that. Don't worry about evening it out if you like it that way ;)

bento

HSC
Yay thanks, you made me feel better. I was only worried because all of the collections I have read so far have been even.
What are your stories about?

black_humour

HSC
Ah, Pakigal, if only you bothered to fill your 5000 and 3000 word stories with content. Perhaps, I should have encouraged you more so?

but in saying, that I don't think there is anything wrong with the number of stories you write, it's your story and you control what happens. If two stories make the story work, then go for it. But seriously, bento, it's what's in the story and what you do that really makes the project the best it can be.

pakigal

HSC
black_humour said:
Ah, Pakigal, if only you bothered to fill your 5000 and 3000 word stories with content. Perhaps, I should have encouraged you more so?

but in saying, that I don't think there is anything wrong with the number of stories you write, it's your story and you control what happens. If two stories make the story work, then go for it. But seriously, bento, it's what's in the story and what you do that really makes the project the best it can be.

Shush you! I have content...it just needs to be made a bit more...evident ;)

Bento: Both my stories focus on domestic violence where i compare it between two cultures. Nothing extraordinary but meh...I'll live.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
oh is black_humour who i think it is?

pakigal: you're coming first or near to it in ext2. of course you'll live!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)