COLLERIDGE 1 or 2 Poems???? (1 Viewer)

ponny

HSC
OK my prescribed text is Coleridge, yet im unsure how many poems we have to do in the essay??
Can you just choose how many you want to do? because in my half yearly i did one poem, and the teacher wrote "2 coleridge poems needed" (my mark was 7/15)
So for the trial i had a practice essay with 2, accept in the trial question it jus said "your precribed text" So i just did 1 poem. Yet my mark was 12/15..so that looks like i only need 1?
Also a 'high range sample answer' from 2005 teacher gave out only used 1.
I've emailed my teacher but she hasn't replied. So does anyone know for sure??

thanx guys

GOODLUCK FOR FRIDAY!! :)rofl:)

Last edited:

Kezalicious

HSC
2 is the best monica....but I know of some people who are doing more.
you got 12/15 and you didn't spell Colerigde properly? lol

help_me_please

it nerd
HSC
we were told to do at least two, because poetry is quite short and other are doing books etc... but if possible allude to a third...
it all depends on how well you analyse it because the people who got high marks using one may be able to analyse really really well but it depends on how well the markers think you can analyse.

hope that helps...

ponny

HSC
Kezalicious said:
2 is the best monica....but I know of some people who are doing more.
you got 12/15 and you didn't spell Colerigde properly? lol

AHHHH KEZZZ bloody hell i was looking for u online on msn but YOUR NOT i was tryin 2 ask u but i had 2 resort to bos hehehe...
Are you doing 2? ahh shit coleridge is with one L hahahahah (idiot)

ponny

HSC
help_me_please said:
we were told to do at least two, because poetry is quite short and other are doing books etc... but if possible allude to a third...
it all depends on how well you analyse it because the people who got high marks using one may be able to analyse really really well but it depends on how well the markers think you can analyse.

hope that helps...
Hmmm yehh true..the only thing is if i do 2 i might not have enough time to analyse them as well, and then i might not get as well mark as if i did one well. Also i might not be able to remember everything as well because there is more to remember..

Thanx 4 the help :)

Does anyone with experience on this stuff know what my best option is considering ^^?

help_me_please

it nerd
HSC
most of the coleridge stuff is related to some extent - like the theme of nature etc... means you can link the two poems together

toadstooltown

1337 }{4><
HSC
N/A
At a bare minimum of two. I know it's hard to fit into the time but that's why you need to just launch right into the analysis. Teachers told us two if we do Rime (well) and one other, otherwise his three shorters ones are needed. If you can find a link between some of them it makes it very easy to jump from one to another so you can treat your 'prescribed text' as almost the one text.

ellejay145

HSC
Kezalicious: "didn't spell Colerigde properly? lol"
I believe you didn't spell his name properly either ... lol
Well when we started the course our teacher told us 2 Coleridge poems, then for our during year exams i had only included one and i got marks around 13 or 14/15 ... then she told us that we have to have 2 for the hsc .. so im guessing two. Goodluck everyone for friday

SureBluff

HSC
Is it possible to get 15/15 with only one Coleridge poem?

In my essay, I have a total of 3 text including Coleridge, booklet and own text (out of a possible 6 of which I can choose from) and it took up about 1200 words. I would seriously run out of time if I do more texts. I got only 12/15 for that one in my trials and I'm trying to bump it up to 15.

ponny

HSC
well my teacher wrote back about my original question and told me that there's an unwritten rule that it's better to do 2 poems by Coleridge so do 2 for the exam to be safe. (They never say how many, it's up to the school to decide but judging from what the HSC markers want, it's always better to do 2)
So i'm gonna do 2..
There is some really good essay writers out there that analyse really well, and if hsc markers see you only did 1 they'd probably be expecting a really good essay and analysis. Im gona stay on the safe side with 2.
You can probably cut down the length, and keep the relaly important points in. And as a few ppl in this have alredy said you can link to coleridge poems well and make like one prescribed text..

SureBluff

HSC
ok, thanks ponny, It looks like I'd have to change the response this time. Oh well, I guess I have to cut time out from the first 2 sections.

ellejay145

HSC
It also depends on what your Coleridge picks are .. if your one is the Ancient Mariner one, then you could easily know say Frost at Midnight and Lime Tree Bower in the same depth, as they are shorter.

HeathcoteMitch

HSC
ONE IS FINE.. grr if your doing one don’t stress ( i have 1400 words in my essay) and i have focused on one Coleridge poem (Kubla Khan) extensively. If you do one well, it would be far better than two briefly noted, inversely, if you do two well and one poorly, that obviously, the latter would be better marked

Last edited:

karoooh

HSC
OMG!

I was gonna ask about the one poem thing and justify it with the poem being used was Kubla Khan! I'm doing 3/4 interpretations. Or planning to. It'll depend on the question. If it doesn't work out, I'll do 1/2 readings and Lime Tree as well. How many readings are you doing?

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
I was always told that 2 was the bare minimum, but there is no limit on the amount you can do. A girl in my class did 4 of them in the essay, but recieved a lower mark as she didn't go into them as extensively as she could have. If you know two really well, then just do the two. If you only know one, then write your arse off on it. Don't crap on, but make sure you write everything you possibly could about it.

passion89

HSC
For AOS tomorrow I'm planning on writing about two poems; Frost and Lime-Tree.

You are allowed to do one poem but you just have to demonstrate that you know A LOT about it. As HeathcoteMitch said, if you were to do one focus on the poem with the most meaning/subject to much more interpretation such as Kubla Khan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)