Column adsorption chromatography... (1 Viewer)

Aerlinn

HSC
In Column adsorption chromatography, polar compounds eg. alcohols and amines, are absorbed more strongly and eluted less readily than the less polar compounds such as halogen compounds, aldehydes, ketones, ethers and hydrocarbons. Can someone tell me why?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
gee... some one has lotsa questions...

depends on the stationary phase and mobile phases you use...

to put it simply: if mobile phase = polar then polar stuff goes quicker and vice versa

Aerlinn

HSC
Ah, ok. Thanx. So in In Column adsorption chromatography, is the mobile phase always polar? And if the mobile phase were non polar, the non polar things travel faster, ya?
Yea, I know, I happen to be in an inquiring mood. heh xD

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
true that... often it's possible to alter the polar'ness of the mobile phase: using water:ethanol ratio of 9:1 will be more polar than using it 1:9

Aerlinn

HSC
I see... because, uh, water's more polar than ethanol, so more of water makes the thing more polar? >.<

Aerlinn

HSC
yay ^^
Hang on, just looked back to the question. polar compounds eg. alcohols and amines, are absorbed more strongly and eluted less readily than the less polar compounds such as halogen compounds, aldehydes, ketones, ethers and hydrocarbons.
That means less polar compounds are supposed to be more attracted to the solvent, so the solvent's non-polar.
-- Column adsorption chromatography. Mobile phase= non polar generally? or can you choose what mobile phase you use (??) 'cause the source i got it from seemed to be talking generally

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
that is general indeed...

from what it's saying, the stationary phase seem to be more polar than the mobile phase (hence polar substances like to stick and non polar substance tend to go with the mobile phase)

whilst that IS the case in most Column Chromotography i did previously (namely flash chromotography and TLC), i believe that does not have to be the case...

edit: by solvent i assume you mean mobile phase, then you are correct...

Aerlinn

HSC
Yeah, I meant the mobile phase :)
-----------
I might have done some of this in the past, but I don't remember (in desperate need of revision) but what makes alcohols and amines polar?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
alcohol: the H-O bond

amine the H-N bond

(due to the difference in electronegativity of Hydrogen and some of the most electronegative elemtns out there, namely F, O, N) and we call them hydrogen bonding (an extreme example of polar bonding)

Aerlinn

HSC
Hey I remember this stuff ^^ But Hydrogen bonding, is that the polar bonds between H and F, O, N, (Cl?) only...? I think H-bonds are special in some way, but I dun remember

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Aerlinn said:
Hey I remember this stuff ^^ But Hydrogen bonding, is that the polar bonds between H and F, O, N, only...?
That's correct, just remember that chemistry is FON. :)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
There isn't really a special type of bond known as hydrogen bonding. It's just a really strong dipole interaction. So depending on the cut off for interaction, Cl could be borderline classified as well, but in general it's mainly with N, O and F.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)