com/law or com/mba (1 Viewer)

-pari-

HSC
N/A
i'm kinda stuck between the option of doing commerce/law [5yrs]
or doing commerce and then in post grad do an MBA [i know some experience is required before you can do MBA, that's cool with me]

so i just wanted some opinions on the options, and which would be better.

i'm not entirely sure as of yet what exactly i want to "become" - i just know that this business field is the one i'd like to go into. i dont think law will be UNenjoyable for me, i probably will enjoy it.......

but yeea... if anyone could giveme some pros/cons of either side relative to the other that'd be great

:)

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
I personally think it's hard to predict the future enough to determine which option is better. There could be many number of paths you could go with a comm/law degree, and many more if a comm and mba later.

If I was in your place and I wasn't sure what career path I'll follow, I would do comm/law now (especially since you'll probably enjoy doing law as well) because it will give you more options after graduation. You can always do an MBA later if you wish. Whatever corporation or organisation you work for later (whether a law firm or other) might even sponsor you to undertake an MBA, who knows.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
MBA is recognised around the world. A LLB is not as recognised, let alone it's a basic degree.

Thing is if you do an MBA, you can't go for graduate positions. So you'll be pitching yourself against other MBA candidates who have probably worked a few years. Going straight from BComm to MBA without working means you'll never get hired in that situation.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Omnidragon said:
MBA is recognised around the world. A LLB is not as recognised, let alone it's a basic degree.

Thing is if you do an MBA, you can't go for graduate positions. So you'll be pitching yourself against other MBA candidates who have probably worked a few years. Going straight from BComm to MBA without working means you'll never get hired in that situation.
Actually, the name of the university probably counts more towards recognition, rather than any ole MBA degree, if you were to distinguish it that way. And MBAs from top tier universities (adding further weight to your degree) require extensive professional work experience as part of the application process, you couldn't apply to do an MBA directly after completing a BComm. Going straight from BComm to MBA wouldn't be an option.

The LLB is recognised by all Commonwealth countries for starters and can also potentially open you to work in other jurisdictions like the US for example, where as well as the UK, starting salaries are well above the average Australian p.a. wage. It's an undergraduate degree but it's really not in the same class as other 'basic degrees' like a BA or BSc. You wouldn't describe an MBBS as "let alone it's a basic degree", or a BPhysio, or a BDent, or a BEng...

Last edited:

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Yea look. I don't think an LLB is crap. I'm just saying an LLB is not as recognised as an MBA. Everyone knows what an MBA is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)