Com/Sci 1st year (1 Viewer)

ValentinesM

HSC
Hi!
I'd like to major in actuarial studies for commerce, and either maths or stats for science. Recently I read a recommended study plan but I'm not sure about which ones are core and which ones are electives:
ACCT1501, ECON1101, MATH1151, MATH1081, ACTL1001, ACCT1511, MATH1251, COMP1911
With the electives, what are some of the other options?
How difficult are the courses above?

Can someone give me an insight into the lecturers and tutors, eg. who is engaging and who's not, etc.

Another question, i'm tossing up between maths and statistics for the science major. which one complements actuarial better? which is a more popular choice?

Thank you so much!! =]

leoyh

mic`
HSC
ACCT1501, 1511 and ECON1101 are cores in commerce, everyone has to do them, they arent actuarial specific. They aren't really hard, you might be a bit baffled by ACCT1501 and 1511 as it's like a new language and a totally new ballgame that you've never seen before/dealt with i don't think, so you might be confused at first, but you'll eventually settle in and find it okay. ECON1101 is microeconomics, which is pretty logical and easy if you put in some effort. Lecturers and tutors vary from semester to semester; generally lecturers are okay/understandable, but tutors depends on your luck.

Can't really comment on the MATH, ACTL or COMP as i'm not doing comm/sci or majoring in actuarial studies.

Monstar

HSC
Do you know anyone who does com/sci with a background in molecular biology? I've been reading some stuff about biotech companies and tbh that would be a sick combo to have..

shinn

HSC
They actually changed the core courses and electives structure for those commencing a commerce degree in 2010. The recommended study plan you have seen may be a bit outdated, I think you are now required to do a management course MGMT1001 as a core course.

Please refer to UNSW Handbook Program - Commerce/Science - 3529

The courses you have listed aren't really difficult but they require you to put some effort and hard work to learn the content.

The lectures and tutors changes year by year, so I can't comment on that.

If you follow the recommended study plan from second year onwards, it is actually possible to do a double major in math and stats with actuarial studies. You can decide later on, its the electives you are going to choose in later years that will affect your major.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)