Combined BE BSc Program (1 Viewer)

bikinigal

HSC
N/A
I hope someone here knows the answer to this because no-one at UNSW seems to - they keep flicking you between faculties. I'm actually posting this on my son's behalf who is doing the double.

In a straight BSc, if you just complete the pass degree (ie don't do the extra honours year) you can be eligible to receive it as a "Pass with Distinction" if your WAM in the courses contributing to the degree is 75 or higher. Does anyone know whether this applies to the BSc Pass degree within the combined program?

Thanks for any help.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Unless the rules have changed, pass with distinction is only available in programs that don't have an honours award. Thus it applies to neither the BSc (which has an add on honours year) nor Engineering, which gives honours based on the engineering WAM.

bikinigal

HSC
N/A
On advising day, they said you can do it for BE/BSc because they don't expect you to meet the pre-reqs for honours...
Thanks sikhman. Which faculty said that, do you remember? Do you know if it is affected if you DO actually meet the pre-reqs for honours (but don't want to do it - he'll be there for 5 years as it is :))? I ask as my son is actually taking all the required physics pre-reqs for Honours as they are relevant to PV & SE Eng

To iruka, it is available for program 3970 (BSc) - the handbook states:

Conditions for the Award of the Degree:

13. The Faculty of Science may award a Pass degree with Distinction to
students who obtain a minimum of 75 WAM across the program and complete at least 72 UoC at UNSW.

I know that it does not apply to the BE as honours are "built-in", so to speak, depending on your WAM. As for 3 year Pass degrees, according to the UNSW website:

Degrees with Distinction

Undergraduate pass degrees may be awarded with Distinction when a Distinction level of performance based on a WAM of at least 75% has been achieved in all courses completed since enrolment at UNSW which are credited to the relevant award. This applies only to undergraduate pass degrees where an award with Honours is not available, for example the three-year BCom where a student would have to complete a fourth year to be eligible for the BCom with Honours.

Believe me, I've searched high and low - I just couldn't find any information (either way) regarding the pass degree component of a combined program.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)