• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

combined commerce/science degree (1 Viewer)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
blackfriday said:
uhhh...so you're saying its too hectic but im MEANT to do them all at once...haha i think you were meant to put a 'not' before 'supposed'.
1) "Yes" because it is pretty packed. the 3uoc subjects are really 6uoc of work, esp Higher DEs which is hard. Also, when I did them in 2nd yr, the exams were packed into 1 wk.

2) "you are supposed" because they are core subjects. You need the know them before you can think of doing any of the harder 3rd yr Math subjects.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
PF said:
18 hours PER WEEK?!!!!!! :( :( noooooo... that's like 3 and a half hrs per day! i thought uni would involve at least some bludging ><

is it easy to fit all the lectures into like 3 separate days so i dont have to travel to uni every day for just one lecture? i knew an arts student who fit theirs into 2 days but is that possible for maths?

thanks
In later yrs, 1 x MATH subject = usually 4hrs and 1 X Commerce subject = 3 hrs so if you have a half commerce/half maths load for the semester you will have a 14hr wk.

Last edited:

implicity

HSC
Survivor39 said:
Yes, but on a per session basis, you do the same amount of work, therefore, equivalent number of hours. I thought we were talking about how many hrs per week for single comm degree compared with combined comm degree.
What I meant is that if you're doing combined comm/sci, you'll have maths subjects which are 4-6 hours, compared to most commerce subjects which are only 3. Same thing goes for actuarial majors in a single comm degree (compared with other majors) in their first year - they'll have math1151/1251 which are 6 hours, instead of QMA which is only 3.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
implicity said:
Arts students don't have as many hours as Commerce students - plus since you'd be doing the combined degree, it means even more hours than other Commerce students. Math1151/Math1251 are also 4 days a week so there's no way you can get out of that, unless of course you skip lectures but that means jeopardising your final results lol.
each arts subject is 3 contact hours, the languages are 6 contact hours. i knew lots of langauges students with more contact hours than i had.

and seraphim...what level 3 courses have you taken/are about to take? i know 3041, 3161 and 3311 are pretty good to go with a finance major.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Last Yr: higher probability & stochastic processes, higher stat inference, math computing for finance, stat computing. math3041 is a pretty useless maths subject.

Sem 1: higher analysis, stochastic analysis, optimisation (I might drop optimisation)

Sem 2: PDEs, measure theory, SDEs/Continuous Time Finance

Affinity

HSC
contact hours is just the tip of the iceberg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)