Combined commerce thoughts? (1 Viewer)

habibi213

HSC
Hi all,

I plan to study a combined degree of commerce and science at UNSW this year and I have several questions to ask you guys.
1. What is your overall opinion of commerce/science or more broadly, combined commerce in general?
2. Are there better choices to choose for my second degree than science? (eco, acturial studies etc.) (in terms of employment and future job prospects)
3. What is the quality of combined commerce courses at UNSW?
4. How popular is the commerce/science course at all universities? (UNSW in particular)
5. Can I get any tips on how to choose my majors? (I plan to major in something like economics for commerce, and statistics for science but I'm still unsure)

Cheers! =D

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi Habibi

1. My overall opinion of combined commerce is quite good, largely because i picked it as my first preference haha (actuarial studies/commerce, so combined actuarial actually). I picked it largely because it seemed the best degree to get a foot into the financial services industry.

2. I considered doing Comm/Sci for ages, the sci bit majoring in stats or pure maths. In the end, I picked Actuarial because i thought it had more employability. However, I've read lots of positive opinions towards a stats major in these forums.

3. Dunno, I'm a 2014 kid too

4. Dunno, I'm a 2014 kid too

5. I think for majors, you should wait and take some subjects first, and see what you like. For Commerce major, you do not have to elect a major until second year. For Science, I'm not too sure.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Hi all,

I plan to study a combined degree of commerce and science at UNSW this year and I have several questions to ask you guys.
1. What is your overall opinion of commerce/science or more broadly, combined commerce in general?
2. Are there better choices to choose for my second degree than science? (eco, acturial studies etc.) (in terms of employment and future job prospects)
3. What is the quality of combined commerce courses at UNSW?
4. How popular is the commerce/science course at all universities? (UNSW in particular)
5. Can I get any tips on how to choose my majors? (I plan to major in something like economics for commerce, and statistics for science but I'm still unsure)

Cheers! =D
4. Commerce/Science isn't the most popular but I knew 2 of my friends that started with it. One changed to Comm/Engo after first sem, the other dropped commerce. One mate that I met last year is doing Science (Adv maths)/Comm (Finance) - which is a gun combination. It would be really random, habibi, if you did science (chem etc) with commerce unless you are genuinely interested in it.

JasonG123

HSC
Uni Grad
Comm(eco)/Science (statistics) is a good combination for economics-related positions (RBA, economics consulting like NERA etc). Although you'll need honours in eco for most of them, so in a sense the Science degree isn't worth it.

Comm(finance major or even accounting/eco major) with Science (maths or statistics or computer science) are all also very strong combinations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)