• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Combined courses (2 Viewers)

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by felafel
yeah im asking if anybody think it's leaning towards that way . . .

because that means like medicine, com/law and med/law will be a hell of a lot harder to get into!
well, for the sake of the years under me......i hope not!

but would probably turn out that way....if it does get to a stage where everyone gets so smart to the levle that extra selection criteria may be implemented.....
i would personally hate to c that thing happen

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by dead prez
they usually make you do combined law because traditionally they want you to study another discipline.(and is that the right word)

theres no real reason for this i think. as far as i know in america theres no such thing as undergrad law.

okay..doing a combined law degree for example..in the 4th and 5th year its usually JUST law subjects..so you've finished the other degree. do they give you that degree or do you have to wait till you finish your combined degree?

cos that is stupid if they don't. what if you're part time and want to get into the workforce?

hmmm masters in commerce sounds good
1) yes disipline is the right word.....although i think many other similar words are interchangable.....

2) That is why other countries are actually attracted to Australian law graduates. for the fact that hey are required to do a degree in another disipline as well! UOW had a recent careers day and all the big transnational companies were there purley COZ of this reason.

3) i dont really know about this (yes i do the course but am obvillious to such things) but heard that u may need to complete a few of extra units or something to get the degree.....

4) Masters in anyhting sounds good Dammit :p

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by santaslayer
i cant answer for all courses, but for my course alone (commerce/law) it would take about 6 years to complete if done seperately. It should only take 5years now since its combined.
i do 6 commerce subjects and 4 law subjects in the first year. The frst few years is pretty much commerce oriented until i get to the 4th year, which is pure law!
the reason why combined com/law degrees are shorter than doing them both seperately is because the commerce degree is toned down - ie you do less credit points in your commerce component that u would if u did commerce by itself

*hopeful*

HSC
i do a double degree n i dont think its more stressful or nethn
i had 10 units for 1st yr but im only doing 8 so basically the course goes for 4 years cuz im making up units i havent done

Ribbon

I think I might have said this in another thread but here goes: the reason they have interviews for med is because med grduates have only the one field to go into, and it is an important field, so they have to screen candidates carefull to weed out the ones who are simply doing med 'because they can' ie because they got a high enough mark and it sounds good :p

With law, graduates have infinite possibilities of fields to go into, individual graduates arn't so important to society and so it doesn't really matter if candidates are choosing law simply because they scored high enough to get into it...

if that makes sense...

santaslayer

HSC
*Ahem*......us law- to-be-graduates are AS important as med graduates...we are suppose to be the ones that uphold the law, an important element which pervades every aspect of modern day life!

But yes, i do agree with Ribbon to an extent. :p
and also isnt t becoz law graduates have to do some sorta external exam to be admitted to the bar or start practising?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)