Combined Law Student teaching Creative Writing at Various Libraries (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi! I will be teaching a course in March to help build Creative Writing Skills and to explore this avenue of English that is often neglected. Cost is flexible, and requests for other libraries are accepted.

We've all heard so called 'expert writers' and teachers tell us "Write what you know."

That's it? "Write what you know?"

And what about the old "Show don't tell...?"

A lot of the problems students face in creative writing can be traced back to the simple fact that their teachers do not provide them with adequate feedback or directions when it comes to this area of writing.

If we were to take their advice and "write what you know," then we're going to end up writing mundane and repetitive stories with no meaning. If we were to write what 'we knew" ask yourself then, how did epics like "Star Wars" or "The Lord of The Rings" exist?

Also, how on earth can we "show" a reader without "telling" them?

All these confusing pieces of information makes it a struggle for students to do well in creative writing.

Thus, I will be holding a tutorial course on Creative Writing during March at Parramatta City Library (near Westfields/Train Station) or at Cabramatta, Liverpool, Fairfield or Ingleburn. It will be held on Saturdays. For those interested, here is a sample plan for lesson 1:

Creative Writing 1 - Characterization: 'Breathing life into your characters'

The strongest conflict you can have in a creative writing piece is internal conflict, which is often emotional, and could be a fear, a flaw or other personal issues the character has.

Now enter the antagonist (often the villain). If all that occurs between your main character and the latter is the pair shooting at each other, blowing things up, or bickering with one another, chances are you're going to have a 2 dimensional story with 2 dimensional characters, and a 2 dimensional conflict.
But if your main character is forced to face personal weakness by fighting or engaging with the antagonist, then you're writing the best kind of conflict.

What you will learn:
- How to write the best kinds of characters
- Location, location, location: A suitable setting
- The perfect genre for your characters
- The 'anti - hero'
- The 'shadow archetype' <- a personal favourite, as you'll learn that in almost all movies/books, the villains that the main character fights, is in fact, themselves.
- How to create multiple, complex themes of Belonging.

You'll also learn
- General writing skills
- Avoiding the death-traps 70% of students face when writing a creative work (i.e. teen angst and similar themes)
- How to develop a suitable plot
- How to select suitable words in your writing

If time permits, I will also give tips on choosing a suitable related text for Belonging and Module C.

If you're interested or have any questions, please feel free to post below

About me: I am a current Combined Law (Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Law) student, and am also going to be adjudicating this year (so I might see some of you debaters! ). I have also been an avid public speaker/debating myself for over 5 years winning various awards from the Premier's Debating Challenge, to the History Debating Challenge, to The Harvester Cup.

I have been involved in a wide variety of writing competitions, such as the Sydney Theatre Playwrighting Competition, and have been published in Dr. Helen Sykes book "Perspectives" for the Future Leaders programs. I have also had classes/lectures with the Senior Marker for H.S.C Creative Writing and English, as well as numerous other professionals.

Other details:

TIME: Please state suitable time.

COST: In terms of cost, I do not set a specific amount - I feel confident enough that student can decide what they are willing to pay. If you thought it was an outstanding tutor lesson, then sure, you can pay $20 - $30, but if you thought it was average, or simply 'o.k,' then you can opt to pay, for instance, $10.

Please also state which of the libraries you prefer.

zxreth

HSC
hey, can u tutor at strathfield library?? and what school did u graduate from?

thanks

HSC
^ At the moment, I think that might be possible. :)

I also graduated from Hurlstone Agricultural High School, which is a selective school, if that makes a difference...

Valdek

Premium Member
HSC
i'm interested in english tutoring and the sort. do you do tutoring and courses for only current hsc students or year 11s too?

any library in the north shore is my preference :p

HSC
i'm interested in english tutoring and the sort. do you do tutoring and courses for only current hsc students or year 11s too?

any library in the north shore is my preference
Yes, I also do tutoring, and it's there's a ranged of students from Years 10 - 12.

Currently, the Cabramatta and Parramatta libraries are the most popular and filling up the fastest.

Zelta-W

HSC
N/A
Hi im very interested in tutoring with you for creative writing.
any of the following libraries will be okay for me, strathfield, eastwood, chatswood, homebush. epping...

:)

regards.
carl

HSC
^ We were Year 10s, but we competed in Year 11 Comp, and we made it quite far, so we got certs (Premiers). :D

HSC
^ Nah mate, but I thinking getting that far in the competition is a pretty good effort. We even got to finals one year...was it 2006?

Anyways, leave it to a Kings boy to try to destroy your credentials :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)