combined law textbook question (1 Viewer)

kony

HSC
hey guys,

is there any point in keeping your first year law textbooks?

i'm trying to decide whether to buy new copies (to keep myself) or to buy 2nd hand ones if it's not important to keep them.

thanks.

Libbster

HSC
hey, it's not essential to keep them at all. once the course is over i've found u don't look at them again.

i've got some law textbooks eg foundations of law that i'm selling, pm me if ur interested.

footyfan19

HSC
Hi kony,

Firstly, I am VERY impressed by your UAI and rankings in Maths.

Now I know that this is a little off topic but I am curious as to why such a briliant mathematician (and very talented scientist I assume as you achieved a UAI of 99.80 doing chemistry and physics) would choose to study LAW?

A possibility...? Maybe you are also very good at the humanities but simply could not fit them into your required units (I acknowledge that you did English Advanced) and chose to do maths/science as you believed that these subjects would provide you with the UAI you were after. Is this the case??

Maybe you intend to study science/law??

Anyway, I guess I am just interested.
Cheers

kony

HSC
I'm doing Commerce/Law.

In year 10 I heard about the uselessness of HSC humanities subjects like economics, legal studies, business studies, history, etc. (all of which could be studied independently with books relatively easily anyway). Also, scaling was supposedly terrible (which was a mistake, but at the time I just went with the popular opinion on this one)

In year 12, I picked up 4unit english, but both extension units were dropped since i had a combined 14 units. (i had done music2 hsc the year before)

the decision was more so due to interest in commerce, but also because no one likes "wasting" uais, right?

ssglain

HSC
kony said:
no one likes "wasting" uais, right?
Haven't you got anything better to do than mislead 08ers? *nudges*

Hehehe. Only joking. :eek:

But seriously though, just because I'm buying all of mine brand-new with the intention of keeping them all for ever and ever, doesn't mean you should do the same. Those MATH1902 books that you picked up from Kerenze for me were the 2006 edition and they contain everything that's in the 2008 edition plus some 30 additional pages. I still bought the 2008 ones because I'm very territorial/sentimental when it comes to my maths books (and books on numerous other subjects, for that matter). So objectively, used books are equally good as new books in most cases and are much more cost-effective in just about all cases. I think it will be helpful to pop over to Co-op and have a look at the newest editions (if they're not sealed up in plastic as mine were) - esp. read the bit in the preface that talk about changes which have been made.

04er

HSC
I agree that most used law textbooks should be sold. However for torts and contracts you should keep them as you will be using them for torts & contracts II (actually you study a lot of the same cases, so keep your summaries too). We've been told this semester that we should also keep our public law texts as they *might* come in handy next year in admin and constitutional law, but no guarantees.

PS I'm selling all my criminal law, international law, processes of justice and foundations texts so if anyones interested plz pm me. Also got finance texts if anyones interested.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)