Combined Science Medicine Course (1 Viewer)

emeka

HSC
N/A
hey guys, abt this new course, i read from the site that they only accept abt 10pple.
it says u have to pass the requirements for the TSP to get in. so does that mean theyll give interviews to pple who get super high UAIs? cos theres only 10 pple and since abt 20 pple get 100 UAIs a year, theyd jst pick 10 pple with 100 uais that may have applied right?
cos if this is the case i got no chance lol doesnt seem to be any other criteria they look at besides mrks. interview is after

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
you'd be surprised how many people havent applied for this with there firsat preference. a guy in my year is likely to get about 100 and he made it second. They do interview about 20 people but most people with 100 are probably doing laws at sydney rather than medicine. they base interviews on uai and other achievements too before they shortlist. it is a long shot for me too but in the end if you hate englishy stuff you may prefer to do med sci and go the gamsat way. combined med is more work and you need to maintaain 80% average which isnt easy with a huge work load. go med sci if you hate essays and do gamsat way (which does have essays in it but you know what i mean).

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
but i thought in medicine u only have pass or fail??? or is that just in monash???

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Medicine you only have pass or fail but combined medicine is Advanced Science/Medical Science degree and then the Medicine Course without sitting the UMAT/GMAT. You need to maintain the 80% average with the Advanced Science/Medical Science ie stay in the TSP.

emeka

HSC
N/A
ooo ok. nah i dont wanna do the GAMSAT test. stuffed up UMAT already and GAMSAT being science based is even worse for me. so yeh getting into this course is heaps better.
but even if your friend puts this as his second preference and say he doesnt get his first, hell still have as good as a chance to get in sci/med as someone who has it as first. right?
yeh this program is for the elite.
plus the GAMSATT way is too long. after finishing a medical science course thats already four yrs and if yourre lucky to get into med and finish it thats already more than a decade of your life gone.

nit

HSC
In combined med science, you can only do adv sci TSP. I don't think med sci is an option. Also, you still need to do the Gamsat after 3 years, but require slightly less marks than those doing med the normal undergrad/grad way (50-60% or thereabouts I think). Tasks such as those tested in Gamsat will be done in the first year (no credit points though), and you'll have interview-like stuff over the three years of the science course in addition.

They have a look at your academic achievements as well as UAI. You've got to fulfil TSP criteria, and a few more as well, to stand a chance. There are roughly 15-20 interviews for the intake of up to 10.

They're looking for people who really, really want to go to Sydney Uni, as well as those who have a strong interest in science, with a view to carrying out research as well as practise.

@Emeka: Yeh, it doesn't matter where you place the course in terms of preferences.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
joycelai87 said:
r u sure? i thought it was entirely interview/gamsat free besides the gamsat-like tasks.

damn
i agree. i have done my research and they say that you have to do some units in written expression or social sciences. this is to replace gamsat but these are 0 credit point units

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Just a small note to say that it is NOT a combined science/medicine course, but a provisional entry medicine course where the required undergraduate degree is either BScAdv or BMedSc

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
yeah i know that. i personally would prefer the gamsat way because the pressure of this course seems very very very high. it is also a very long shot for me to get into it anyway

nit

HSC
Haha, Lexi, I got some of that info from the Usyd night you attended..ironic :)

Edit: On a more serious note, I'm not sure, but I think requirements may have changed in the last couple of months for this course. Last time I checked (September), doing the GAMSAT was a condition for entry into Med, and getting 50% or so would all but guarantee a position. Now that I check it, the requirements seem to have changed somewhat, and I don't think GAMSAT marks per se will be as important as they once were, though obviously you do do Gamsat-like tests earlier on.

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
3yrs adv or medsci
4 yr grad med..

or goto
Melb.. MBBS/BMedSci 6 yrs.. or
Adel.. MBBS/BMedSci(Hons.) in 6- 7 yrs..or
Monash MBBS/Law... or
UNSW MBBS/Law or /Arts.. in 7-8yrs..

Id avoid the GAMSAT at all cost..
provisional entry is good.. but 80% can be hard to maintain even UQ its 60%... for provisional

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
a) Woah, how do people know I went to the info night? I don't remember mentioning it here...

b) Are you sure UNSW does MedLaw? Last I checked Monash (and ONLY Monash) offered that. UNSW, like UMelb, does Arts/Med (UMelb also does BMedSc/MBBS like you mentioned).

c) from the information night I recall being told that the requirements for the special school leavers entry scheme were interview with the Dean, astronomical UAI, and similar GPA/WAM across the time of the initial course (BScAdv/BMedSc). No mention of GAMSAT or special testing was made.

d) Hmm...I'd avoid the GAMSAT at mosts costs, but only because of the cost. It's way higher than UMAT.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
by special request to the dean..
its also available with the approval of the dean in Adelaide..

yer MBBS/Arts is at most unis.. whether its a common thing or by special request to the dean..
in adel and melb.. lots of ppl do MedSci with the MBBS... cos its good when u do research..

i lik Usyd.. but the time 'cost' is heaps..

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i think its more appropriate.... with a focus on medical sciences..
.. ..
.. ..
.. ..
srsly IMO..UMAT is a joke.. even tho i did pretti well at it..
i c ppl who do well then chuck a bit of selective school - "now im in, i dun need to try" attitude..
but then no system is perfect..

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
the only reason people want to avoid gamsat is the
i. the cost, about $300 i think it was
ii. its a very very long exam. So long that they have 2 breaks in it. 5 hours testing time in total. But takes a whole day to do. 9am to 5pm wasnt it?
Also you actually have to prepare for the gamsat. Umat is just a pushover.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
what i hate about umat is that if you have a bad day you are sunk. it is only a way of cutting down on interviews. it makes huge generalisations about people. i know people who got astronomical scores and cant relate to shit. i would usually do well but i was sick on the day and had no doc certificate either. i aced sec 3 but only cos most answers just pop out at me. i got 98 for that par but 71 and 69 for the others. i know for a fact i would make a good doctor but then im sure for a fact im not the only one who bombed out either. gamsat to me seems a fairer way to do it anyway. you get taught all the social skill stuff in med anyway. umat does not test well. sure it gets rid of some mildly autistic people but it lets in other people who just know how to answer random questions.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
lolz ure so confident ull be a good doc?
thats good.. lots of ppl think that..
i think im goin to make a lousy doc.. so i work hard to try and be a good one.. :)

the interview also "makes huge generalisations about people".. 45mins to see if ur suitable for 6 yrs..
with the Gamsat.. if it makes u feel any better.. ppl who rote learnt all their stuff from Bach degree cane it.. i kno a guy who was 1st class honours in engy only scraped in .. but a person with a credit in science who cut the same score.. both in grad med..
nothings perfect..

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
im only sure (at least i think im sure now) ill make a good doctor because its something i have been passionate about for soooooooo long (about 3 years so not that long really). it was something that actually got me doing some work at school and now i want to be a doctor even more. i also love being around people bla blaa but im not squeemish etc and i just love everything medical.
when i mean im sure, i just mean i really really want to and i know id do my best job and it something i dont want to do for the money (even though it is appealing). i want to do either sports med, opthalmology or dermatology. theyd be fun and i know i could do them for longer than any other profession i could think of. i may learn i dont want to be doctor but i doubt ill come to that conclusion.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yer ... fair enuf... my friend was passionate about it since he was six.. and he didnt get it .. i only enjoyed it about yr 8 when i got serious..
if u think that medicine has changed.. u still got to be good at rote learning but applying it too..
and u will change ure mind about specialties for the next 5-8 yrs..
after 6 yrs it will be about the money.. lolz.. after one im starting to sway to the dark side..

just hav a back up plan tho... even i had several.. and thats the key to success.. planning for the worse..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)