combining accg with law (1 Viewer)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
i am doing bcom-accg at the moment. and am sonsidering applying for comb law at the end of this semester.

i do want still want to have an accountancy career. i think that comb law 1) will better my knowledge in accounting and 2) place me above applicants who have just accg.

would like to hear any opinion/pros/cons.

much appreciated.

:)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
yeah i am aware of the workload, but it wont be "a lot" because i wont be overloading any semesters. still the usual 4 subjects per sem.

santaslayer

HSC
just a note. accountancy, as far as i know, requires a minor in business law anyways, so you won't be more 'knowledgeable' as such in your chosen field.

whether or not the law degree places u above the other applicants or not im not sure. i am neither an employer nor have i had any experience in either industries.(this is reference to the initial job interview), but one thing is that you will be faced with much more opportunity as u progress within the company IMO. some areas in accounting may be exclusive to those who are more knowledgeable about the law. say international tax? u might also be able to start working on some things law AND accounting related whilst the others in a singular degree will not have such an opportunity unless they further their education.

my thoughts.

regards,
me.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
thanks me.

very good point you made. :)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Eagles said:
they allow 3rd year transfers in macq??
yeah. you can try to transer at the end of first and second yr.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Yeh good luck with the law app Rahul.

The onli con i can think of is, while your at macq for the extra 2..maybe 3 years doing the law degree , accting students in our year would have already (almost) completed their CA / CPA. But its not an issue. :)

a_person86

HSC
Where i work, a graduate in both law and com is paid a slightly higher salary. But in terms of having an advantage over everyone else depends on the type of accountancy you will be doing. The only real advantage i can see is if you went into tax (which would be what i would do if i combined com with law). At my firm, if you in tax, you have the choice of postgraduate masters of tax or CA. But in the long run, i think everyone will be on even par, its your ability to use your knowledge when working that will make you better than your colleagues, not a piece of paper.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
thanks for the replies josh and a_person86. :)

how do people start their CA programs? mainly through where they work?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Yeh, most people seem to start their CA program through where they work, since you need a certain number of months of work experience (well for anything after the 1st module). I'm not sure if I want to do the CPA/CA (but I guess I have 10 years to decide). I'd personally do the CPA if I didn't have to do the CA.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
jasee said:
Yeh, most people seem to start their CA program through where they work, since you need a certain number of months of work experience (well for anything after the 1st module). I'm not sure if I want to do the CPA/CA (but I guess I have 10 years to decide). I'd personally do the CPA if I didn't have to do the CA.
yeah, but for the foundations module, do many people do them by themselves? any advantage in doing so?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well, you can do Foundations with only 2 year's of uni (but they don't recommend you to do so :p). I think most people would wait until they start working, because most companies will pay for it, which is an advantage.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well the CA program is supposed to be harder. I heard the CPA program is easier and it's more internationally recognised as well.

Thanks for that link! I've never seen that before :p

a_person86

HSC
I disagree that the CA is more internationally recognised than the CA. Here in Australia, the CA has more prestigue than the CPA. CPA is more for people in commerce industry as oppose to the accounting industry. I know the only place that the CPA is considered a better qualification is USA, as their test is alot harder and have a high failure rate. Our CPA isn't recognised over there neither.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
yep. i've also heard that CA > CPA. and also that it is much harder than CPA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)