Come on Art Students! I need your help!! Digital Media vs Graphic Design! (1 Viewer)

Serg01

Hey.. I need to ask a serious question to decide my future... So far my interpritation of:

Graphic Design: Is based more on Photoshop an programs such as this. It aims at more of a 'picture' result where as,

Digital Media: Is more on the photogrpah side along with animation and more digitalised Visual manifestions....

Is this correct?

Please I need to know which one is which...

liamduncan

lol in the drama forum i replied to one of your posts with 'you're a hoe'... and the post seems to have completely disappeared...

Serg01

:O!!! thanks... meh. How annyoing we are completly having a discussion on a forum about nothing.

Jase

HSC
They are actaully very large areas.

Graphic Design encompasses basically everything to do with visual text and communication.
It could be designing images or banners and slogans for public and private use, planning and production of advertisements, studios, book and magazine covers, web design. Or if you're more of a graphic painter, matte and concept art for various media..

Digital media is mostly animation and 2D,3D concept modelling, media production and imaging, internet based media and stuff.

And theres also the hardcore digital imaging stuff, Image Processing and engineering, which is more science than Art...

Serg01

Jase said:
They are actaully very large areas.

Graphic Design encompasses basically everything to do with visual text and communication.
It could be designing images or banners and slogans for public and private use, planning and production of advertisements, studios, book and magazine covers, web design. Or if you're more of a graphic painter, matte and concept art for various media..

Digital media is mostly animation and 2D,3D concept modelling, media production and imaging, internet based media and stuff.

And theres also the hardcore digital imaging stuff, Image Processing and engineering, which is more science than Art...
Thnaks DUDE!!!

SmiLeyZ

graphic design vs digital media

hey...
i was jus reading through what u guys said about the whole graphic design thing and digital media.
and was wondering, to be an art director for magazines or something, graphic design would be best???
thanks

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
it really depends... to eventually become an art director you basically need to have proven yourself in the field, working for other magazines etc....

graphic desin would be the better...

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
it really depends... to eventually become an art director you basically need to have proven yourself in the field, working for other magazines etc....

graphic desin would be the better...
yes and skills in photography and typography and other editing things would also be handy

SmiLeyZ

O THANKS ALOT PPLZ!!!

i've always thought digital media was jus full on photoshop stuff....which i like, bt i think i'll stick to graphic design! thanks!!
for digital media, wat areas can u go into, like work related fields?
thanks

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
Im gonna do digital media next year... hopefully... and even if ur not too sure digital media such as 3d animation and video etc all require graphics so its a bit of both with Digital media although if you wanna get into it the UAIs are high.

Digital media can take you lots of places career wise such as film, animation, multimedia production,internet-based media, sound production, 2D and 3D imaging, CD-DVD production.

kitty_n08

HSC
N/A
mm do u think..

graphic arts is something i love to do, but i dun really have a flare in the work i create.. should i keep @ it or shift courses?

Jase

HSC
If you love it enough the way you say you do, you'll develop your 'flare' soon enough.
How big is the shift you're thinking about?

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
i'd say start out with graphic design... then try expanding into digital media if you find you're interested in that also. (it does pay to be multiskilled)

My degree started out majoring in visual arts (good to develop drawing, colour and composition skills, those lie at the core of most good design), with minors in graphic design and communication but next year i'm majoring in graphic design and my work is shifting almost entirely into photoshop, indesign, dreamweaver and similar programs.

Graphic design isn't limited to non-interactive 2D photoshop 'pictures', you generally cover some web design and a little multimedia/animation as well. Obviously just not so comprehensively as a digital media focus.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)