Coming 1st in NSW (1 Viewer)

2005 edition

HSC
N/A
For a subject like standard english, to be in the running to claim 1st place what will mark round about would one require to fulfil this??
What sort of internal and external mark are we talking here?
I - 45/50, E - 45/50..at minimum

A l

HSC
N/A
2005 edition said:
For a subject like standard english, to be in the running to claim 1st place what will mark round about would one require to fulfil this??
What sort of internal and external mark are we talking here?
I - 45/50, E - 45/50..at minimum
Most likely. Assuming that you get at or above 90 results in both your Area of Study and Modules paper.

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
you get a mark of 90 or above. To do that you study :)

A l

HSC
N/A
starbaaa said:
Fill me in. How do you get above a band 6?
Well, first of all you would have to come first in the English (Standard) candidature in the Area of Study paper. Then you would have to do the same with the Modules paper. This allows your internal marks (assuming you are coming first at school) to be moderated to the same mark as your examination mark. Coming first in BOTH papers is essential, because the distribution of marks in Paper 2 are made to match the distribution of marks in Paper 1 when determining the raw band cut-offs. If this is succeeded, then marks are maximised and the likely result would be an aligned band 6 or top of the candidature of English (Standard).

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
My point was that you can't get above a band 6. Anything above 90% is a band 6.

A l

HSC
N/A
starbaaa said:
My point was that you can't get above a band 6. Anything above 90% is a band 6.
A mark of 90 is also considered a band 6 result, it does not necessarily mean it has to be above 90.
It is definitely possible to gain a band 6 in English (Standard). I don't know the internal and external component of the band 6 results achieved in previous years, but chances are, the internal assessment marks may drag them down from getting above 90.
People who actually got band 6 in English (Standard), correct me if I'm wrong.

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
A l said:
A mark of 90 is also considered a band 6 result, it does not necessarily mean it has to be above 90.
Fine. Anything that is 90 or above is a band 6. Happy now? My question still stands. How do you get above a band 6??

A l

HSC
N/A
I mentioned it already:
Well, first of all you would have to come first in the English (Standard) candidature in the Area of Study paper. Then you would have to do the same with the Modules paper. This allows your internal marks (assuming you are coming first at school) to be moderated to the same mark as your examination mark. Coming first in BOTH papers is essential, because the distribution of marks in Paper 2 are made to match the distribution of marks in Paper 1 when determining the raw band cut-offs. If this is succeeded, then marks are maximised and the likely result would be an aligned band 6 or top of the candidature of English (Standard).

A l

HSC
N/A
I was meant to say above the band 6 cut-off (i.e. above 90).

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
A l said:
People who actually got band 6 in English (Standard), correct me if I'm wrong.

Well only 2 people last year actually got band 6 in standard, so i doubt theyll be around to correct you lol

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Oh, I'm topping the state in legal and modern; by the way.

HSC
why did you feel the need to say that? WOW so you're coming first! there's still plenty of the year to go

Mandy101

HSC
You cannot possibly get a Band 6 in standard english. The system is wired like that specifically. Even if you get 95, that has to be scaled down to a Band 5.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The thing is if you do get a band six in standard, you probally should be doing Advanced.

So its probally a good thing that only 2 get Band 6. It shows people aredoing the right level of english.

ecouch

HSC
how can u possibly know that u are currently topping the state in those subjects

James87

Club Mac - 1st Year 2006!
HSC
Thats ridiculous Gavrillo.
Even if you are getting perfect marks in those subjects - there is the rest of the state, and i bet, plenty of other schools have students smarter than you. For example, kids at Ruse getting 80s/90s could well end up betting you. So that's silly. People at my school got 50/50 overall for English Extension 2 - they won't top the state, as many people get 50/50

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)