Coming first in a bodgy class. (1 Viewer)

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
If one was coming first in 3 subjects, but all these subjects have small class sizes and students that aren't performing all that well.. would this scale you down? Should I get out the big stick and try to push them into trying harder? :rolleyes:

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
No. Rank number one has the special privelige of being exempt from the moderation process (the process by which your class might 'drag' you up or down). Your rank number 1 is potentialy as valuable as the rank number one of a selective school or anything. Rank number one means that your classes highest exam mark will become your internal assesment mark. So say you get the highest HSC exam mark in your class with 93 or something then 93 will be your internal assesment mark (and thus your entire HSC mark because your exam mark is also 93). If someone else in the class gets the highest exam mark, then that exam mark will become your internal assesment. In this scenario if you got 80 in the exam and your classmate got 90, then you would get 90 as your internal assesment mark and 80 as your exam mark, meaning a final HSC mark of 85. So to answer your question, no. When you are number one, your class can be as shit as you like but this won't drag you down.

bEAbEA

HSC
I'm in the same situation. But what happens if my internal mark is higher than the HSC exam mark?
Ie my internal assessment mark is 93 (raw) so what happens if I only get say 90 in the exam?

rama_v

HSC
bEAbEA said:
I'm in the same situation. But what happens if my internal mark is higher than the HSC exam mark?
Ie my internal assessment mark is 93 (raw) so what happens if I only get say 90 in the exam?
Your internal mark is pulled down to 90 so your final mark is 90.

LostAuzzie

HSC
fleepbasding said:
No. Rank number one has the special privelige of being exempt from the moderation process (the process by which your class might 'drag' you up or down).
Is this the same for two or three people being equal first?

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
LostAuzzie said:
Is this the same for two or three people being equal first?
If two people are coming 1st then the two highest exam marks will be averaged and the two top students will recieve that for their internal assesment marks. For example, say the two number ones receive 94 and 88 for their exams. For their internal assesment mark, these two exam marks (assuming they are the highest exam marks in the class) are averaged ((94+88) divided by 2= 91). So they both receive 91 for their internal assesment marks and once these are averaged with their respective exam marks, so for their final HSC marks they will each recieve 92.5 (93) and 89.5 (90). I hope this is clear enough, and if their are any errors in what I've said, then by all means, somebody correct me! But, to answer your question- yes. essentially the same applies dor equal firsts, though the conditions I've described are imposed.

jessied

HSC
fleepbasding said:
If two people are coming 1st then the two highest exam marks will be averaged and the two top students will recieve that for their internal assesment marks. For example, say the two number ones receive 94 and 88 for their exams. For their internal assesment mark, these two exam marks (assuming they are the highest exam marks in the class) are averaged ((94+88) divided by 2= 91). So they both receive 91 for their internal assesment marks and once these are averaged with their respective exam marks, so for their final HSC marks they will each recieve 92.5 (93) and 89.5 (90). I hope this is clear enough, and if their are any errors in what I've said, then by all means, somebody correct me! But, to answer your question- yes. essentially the same applies dor equal firsts, though the conditions I've described are imposed.
ooh im cut now... im tie 1st in 2 subjects, tie 3rd in 1.. for example if i get 95 and the person coming tie with me gets 85 then the mark gets averaged to 90 hence my HSC mark will be 92.5 (93).. interesting.. even though 95 is the highest exam mark, its not going to be the highest internal mark... dam!

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
I asked my teachers whether or not a ranking of first made you exempt from the moderation process - theyev never heard anything about it.

When was it introduced?

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
I don't know when it was introduced, but I assume it has been the case aleast since the begining of the new HSC (2001). Many teachers are hopelessly lacking in knowlege of the BOS internal assesment procedures (in my opinion). This site is excellent for finding out all the information available concerning how the HSC works.

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
Thankgod, i feel alot better.

I was so scared that they'd drag me down.. thankyou sooo much fleepbasding!

And you are too right about teachers knowing lack of HSC processes and protocol.. You ask them and they send you to the principal.

cashmate69

HSC
im ranked 2nd in a class is there a way i can steal rank 1 marks and get better then them in the test

bEAbEA

HSC
rama_v said:
Your internal mark is pulled down to 90 so your final mark is 90.
So is that saying that my internal mark doesn't count, coz thats unfair! Oh...I'm so confused!!!!! What happens if I only get 80 in the external, does that mean that my mark goes down to 80?

helper

HSC
N/A
cashmate69 said:
im ranked 2nd in a class is there a way i can steal rank 1 marks and get better then them in the test
Your exam mark will be yours. Your assessment will be second to theres. Overall you may beat them depending on how much your exam mark is greater than theres.

helper

HSC
N/A
bEAbEA said:
So is that saying that my internal mark doesn't count, coz thats unfair! Oh...I'm so confused!!!!! What happens if I only get 80 in the external, does that mean that my mark goes down to 80?
Your schools submitted marks are adjusted so the spread and average of them is the same as the external results, so they can be compared across the state. Otherwise a school that marks hard is disadvantaged against a school that marks easy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)