Comm/Law Majors (1 Viewer)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
If I undertake a combined Comm/Law degree, will I be restricted to doing 1 Commerce major or will I be able to do 2? Is this any different to UNSW?

Is it possible, after three years, to entirely drop the LLB degree if you don't wish to continue, but instead graduate with a straight BCom?

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
As to the first question, you can do 2 at sydney (resricted to certain combos) but 1 at UNSW.

As to the second i'm not sure.

Rorix

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Is it possible, after three years, to entirely drop the LLB degree if you don't wish to continue, but instead graduate with a straight BCom?
Yes, (90% sure).

hello99999

HSC
i doubt that post-2005 enrolments will be able to do 2 majors for commerce in comm/law due to new credit pt system. but i'm not completely sure.

Elitist

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
If I undertake a combined Comm/Law degree, will I be restricted to doing 1 Commerce major or will I be able to do 2? Is this any different to UNSW?

You can do as many major's as u like if you wanna be a geek and study during the summer and winter break.

Lainee

HSC
Elitist said:
You can do as many major's as u like if you wanna be a geek and study during the summer and winter break.
Aren't there maximum credit point restrictions for a course?

Lainee

HSC
As in credit point limit for the whole course - 144 I think for Com/Law?

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
Does anyone know how this shit works?

Is it possible to do Finance and Accounting Majors in a Commerce/Law degree without exceeding the 24cp limit per semester?

Help please.....

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
Komit said:

Is it possible to do Finance and Accounting Majors in a Commerce/Law degree without exceeding the 24cp limit per semester?

Help please.....
I don't know about Eco+Bus, but I can tell you the situation for Arts students, which may be similar for you:

I was allowed to exceed the 24cp limt in three consecutive semesters because I changed my majors from English/German to History/German and I wanted to do honours in history. To satisfy the reuqirements for my major and the hons prerequisites, I had to overload and the Arts faculty (since they administer the first three years of the combined law programme) allowed me to go up to 32 in one semester. I wouldn't suggest going that high, though - it was horrible.

If you are in your final semester of an Arts degree, you are also allowed to go over the 32cp limit if the UoSs accounting for that high cp number are units required to complete your required major.

So, that's the situation for Arts/Law students, I would think a similar thing would apply for Commerce/Law folks ...

Hope that helps ...

Or, if all else fails, you could take up 05er's suggestion and blow the Dean. Or the Vice-Chancellor :)

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Komit said:

Help please.....
For our year (class of 2003) it is, I think about 75% of all com/law ppl (including myself) are doing acct and finance majors. It actually fits in perfectly.

However with the standardised credit points introduced the situation must've changed. Best thing to do is ring up the e+b faculty since your law units are pretty much set in concrete.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
*bump*

This question has been bothering me aswell... Can anyone confirm whether or not a double major in comm law is possible under the current credit system?

Quintin

HSC
Hi, i was also wondering this, but on the website for USYD it seems like you can do to majors and i would guess especially if there was overlap between the award credits in them

"Major in Commerce
Students select their Commerce major from a limited list of options. The number of additional units required for the major differs depending on whether the core units for the degree can be counted towards the chosen major, and depending on the prerequisites for senior units of study. Students must complete at least one major (or extended major) in Commerce to fulfill the requirements of their course. In total, a major consists of a minimum of 36 senior credit points (six senior units) in a single subject area."

Note how it says "at least" implying more than 1

Its just i have become dissalusioned to the whole commerce system. Its all theory and no practicle application. It seems like you walk out with more of a qualification than an education and its geared to you being a middle man in a big corporation. i really hope it changes.

Quintin

HSC
Students enrolled in the Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Laws can generally only complete one major. This is due to your Law units taking up 48 credit points out of 144. Therefore your Law units you could say take up the credit points required for a second major.

You major needs to be taken from the list "Award course majors" http://www.econ.usyd.edu.au/course/FH028.html.

No, you cannot substitute any of the Compulsory core units for Bachelor of Commerce.

Yours sincerely,

Student Adviser
University of Sydney NSW 2006 Australia
Phone: +61 2 9351 3076
Fax: +61 2 9351 4433
Web: http://www.econ.usyd.edu.au
USYD said the above... i have e-mailed back for clarification as to what 2 majors we can do...

Sam R

HSC
The only 2 major combination you can do as a combined law student without exceeding the credit point limit is Finance and Accounting. You may be allowed to choose other combinations, but that would require you to get approval to overload.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)