Comm/Law or Comm (1 Viewer)

jooyang91

HSC
Heys..
It’s the first time posting on BOS..
So help would be very much appreciated.. :D

Recently, I’ve been in a dilemma regarding future..
I’ve been interested in getting into investment banking..
However, through reading threads throughout the forum..
I’ve realized its very competitive to get into investment banking..
So.. What I’m attempting to ask is, in terms of having a competitive advantage over others..
Would Comm/Law at ANU (5yrs + moving into campus) OR Commerce (International/ Liberal Studies) at UNSW (4yrs + stay in Syd) be more appropriate??

Thanks in advanced~~!! :D:D:D

P.S im expecting an ATAR bet. 94-97

runnable

HSC
Both are good combinations to do for IB. Personally I would go the UNSW option. Sydney + Australian School of Business. Canberra is too much of a hole.

Note that Commerce (International)'s cut off was 97.05 and HSCPlus does not apply.

jooyang91

HSC
Both are good combinations to do for IB. Personally I would go the UNSW option. Sydney + Australian School of Business. Canberra is too much of a hole.

Note that Commerce (International)'s cut off was 97.05 and HSCPlus does not apply.
Thank You very much for ur input~~!! :D:D
But i was wondering..
What are the main differences between Commerce (International) and Commerce (Liberal Studies)??
From what i've gathered from my career's adivsor is that Liberal studies is just a "fancy" version of the arts course..
And are they considered as a double degree??

Thanks..

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Personally I would only do law unless it interests you/you want to do it because otherwise it will drive you nuts.

Also doing a double degree with law generally means you options of major/number of electives as you are doing two degrees in 5 years instead of 6.

runnable

HSC
Commerce (International/Lib Studies) are considered double degrees.

Have a look at UNSW Handbook to get a good idea of the degree structures.

UNSW Handbook Program - Commerce (International) - 3538

UNSW Handbook Program - Commerce (Liberal Studies) - 3539

Essentially, one is Commerce + International Studies while Lib Studies is Commerce + Arts/Science.

I agree with melsc that you should only do Law if it interests you. Otherwise you would have a hard time doing it at Uni and probably have little chance in using it in the future.

Ayatollah

HSC
N/A
'Liberal Studies'..? how horrid..
is it like learning the old boy handshack with Abott over dinner

jooyang91

HSC
Thanks ppls~~!! :D:D
I had a quick look at the structures of Commerce (International + Liberal Studies) and both seem like very attractive courses..
Especially the fact that both these degrees allow me to study languages..
But the thing is.. I have an interest in both learning languages and law..
So.. in the corporate world.. Would an in depth knowledge in the legal side of business be more attractive to an employer OR would I be more competitive with being able to speak 4 languages fluently??

Thanks once again~~!! :D:D

SoAmazing

HSC
well i thought this might interest you, with a UAI(or whatever it is called these days) of 95-97 or above you are guaranteed entry into Commerce/Law with an average of credit in your first year

dongypro

HSC
ANU comm/law would be ur best choice if you're willing to relocate...

UNSW commerce is a joke but if u want an easy way out its the way to go.. ur gonna be stuck with people with 85 UAI and a tonne of idiots not to mention fobs who are very annoying to work with..

I think you should study ur ass off at ANU COMM/LAW and then with a D average or so, attempt to move to USYD COM/LAW or UNSW COMM/LAW :)

asgunu

HSC
N/A
Hey guys

Could I get your advice? I applied for both the finance and accounting coops, and got offered the accounting coop. I also have a high enough ATAR to get into Comm/Law at UNSW.

If i want to work in more front-office stuff in the future, eg management consulting or even IB, should I go for the coop or comm/law?

Also, is it fairly easy to get into internships at investment banks when doing Comm/Law?

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)