comm vs Eco (1 Viewer)

xsjado

HSC
It seems that at MQ USyd and UNSW the economics degree is exactly the same as the comm degree except you are forced to major in economics.

ANU seems to be the only uni I know of that doesn't do this.
The two courses are very different.

So why is it like this?

lordesf

HSC
wait,.. so wats the difernce between ANU and the other unis?

Also can anyway explain wat other majors or wateva u can choose through economics? besides those "forced" economic majors..[UNSW n particular]

Last edited:

xsjado

HSC
If you read the handbook, comm and eco aren't very much related at all at ANU.

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
Read your handbook.

If you're wanting to major in either Economics or Econometrics - definitely choose Economics. I find it less restrictive in terms of the way you structure your degree (less cores, if I remember correctly). It will give you the chance to re-think your majors in 2nd year.

However, if you are considering Accounting/Finance, Marketing/International Business, etc. You must do a Commerce degree (at Usyd anyway)

Goodluck with whatever you decide!

BackCountrySnow

HSC
My question is similar to the OP's.

What are the advantages of doing B Econ over B comm(econ)?

BeeCom

HSC
AFAIK at UNSW if you're doing a BEco it is compulsory to do one of the 4 majors from the economics school: economics, econometrics, economic history and financial economics (not sure about this last one). Then you can choose whatever else you want as another major.

With BComm you can choose any 2 majors.

I imagine that core subjects, UOC requirements for majors etc would still be the same though as everyone does a common 1st year in BComm and BEco.

doink

Clone
HSC
The Advantage of BEco is the lower uai cut-off.

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
Advantages of B. Eco:
- less core subjects
- you needn't be worrying about how to structure your degree from the get-go (there IS room to move, however small it may be... so if you do decide that you don't want to major in Accounting in your 2nd year, for example, you still have time to switch AND graduate in the period of 3 years - unlike Commerce, you set yourself back either a semester or even a year)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)