Comments on my Frankenstein essay? (1 Viewer)

terminator69

HSC
I'm just looking for some feedback on my essay. My teacher's comment was pretty brief and just mentioned that I should concentrate more on the wider concerns of society like gothic fiction, more than the autobiographical influences of the author. Also, am I supposed to underline the name of any texts when I refer to them, aka everytime i mention Frankenstein? Any comments appreciated, thanks.

Frankenstein is a product of its context, reflecting the ideas and concerns of its age. Discuss.

Frankenstein is a product of its context and is influenced by the ideas and concerns of its age, as well as its author Mary Shelley. The themes expressed in the novel provide a reinforced representation of the issues concerning mainstream society in that era. Gothic themes and galvanism are both discussed in Frankenstein. Although they weren’t mainstream at that time, Shelley mediated them as important enough to include for several reasons including their unknown potential in society and having a reality was unknown. This meant readers would question the events in the novel with genuine realism. Shelley’s radical views on life also impacted on the inclusion of particular themes and discussion points. By using these themes in Frankenstein, especially at the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, Shelley brought forward debate and discovery. Her values and beliefs also propelled the popularity of the novel.

The ideas and concerns addressed in Frankenstein provide a direct correlation between the 1800s and the unique, novelistic talent of Shelley. Her life experiences ultimately determine the content of the novel and influence the plot, characters and setting. There are certain autobiographical occurrences in Frankenstein that juxtapose particular events in Shelley’s life. In February 1815, Shelley gave birth to a daughter named Clara, who died prematurely at birth. Losing a child is a horror for any parent and Shelley is no exception. In contrast, Frankenstein’s younger brother William is murdered in the novel by the Monster. Frankenstein experiences anger and guilt for the death as it was his creation that caused his death. It is likely Shelley had already experienced these feeling when feeling the anguish of watching someone die. By utilising the literary technique of autobiographical references, it has allowed her to add meaning to the novel and create an entertaining situation for the reader that is realistically conveyed.

Mary Shelley sourced her inspiration for Frankenstein while visiting the Alps of Geneva with a selected group of friends. The group supported radical views on topics such as politics and literature. The combination of this rebellious influence and the sight of the Alps in Geneva provided an exclusive source of inspiration and opportunity for Shelley and her group to maximise their creative thinking. Society wasn’t very accepting of their extremist views and censorship towards particular topics such as religion limited the ability to express freedom of speech.

Frankenstein may reflect the ideas of its age, however the success of the novel would allow these ideas to be manipulated and thrust by the Industrial Revolution. Shelley hoped that the assembled, radical beliefs of the group would sculpt her writing habits. She could then devise a piece of fictional and inspirational literature that society hadn’t seen before.

Percy and Mary Shelley were lovers. They shared rebellious perspectives on life which made them outcasts. The romanticism they shared together directly juxtaposes the connection the Monster strived for in the novel. After the Monster approached Victor, he passionately stated “You must create a female for me” and it had to be “as hideous as himself”. The Monster also states “Our lives will not be happy, but they will be harmless, and free from the misery I now feel.” This clarifies that the Monster had developed emotive feelings over its short lifetime and had admitted it was an outcast from society, just like Shelley had been (although she didn’t admit it so vocally).

Mary Shelley shared a strong connection with Percy and it is possible she used the event of Frankenstein’s Monster seeking a female companion, as a platform to reminisce their time together. This is one of the many possible explanations for the Monster seeking a lover. Either way, Mary Shelley thought that adding this romanticism would add meaning to the novel and enhance the motif of togetherness. Frankenstein is a product of its time and is shaped by the author’s inclusiveness of particular themes.

Shelley asserted a connection to the study of electricity, alchemy and galvanism. This incite accounts for the addiction Victor has to studying the creation of life in Frankenstein. The limits of such topics were unknown to society at that period of time. A society that was uneducated on those topics would allow her to write about the creation of life using electricity and audiences would see it as having potential for realism. Plus, it would make them ponder the capabilities of modern and future science, whilst allowing the novel to remain in a fictional genre.

Victor Frankenstein developed a passion for knowledge in the fields of philosophy and chemistry. He pursued this endeavour at university where he diversified his intelligence by learning about galvanism and alchemy, and the creation of life through electricity. As the plot propels forward and the Monster is created, the novel serves as a cautionary tale to warn and question the capabilities of science as well as create interest in the author and her works.

Frankenstein is a collage of different stories, influences and events. It is primarily a product of its context as it is constructed to relate and market to a contemporary audience in a particular moment in time. The life experiences of Shelley, such as the death of her child, have sparked the implementation of similar events in the novel to evoke a response from the reader. Similar to this, the Monster’s content for a partner can be explained once the relationship between Mary and Percy Shelley is examined. With the final assembly of all these factors, a novel like Frankenstein would not receive the same reaction if it was released today, opposed to the age it was written in. This enforces the argument that Frankenstein is a product of its context.

M.T.T.

HSC
I'm just looking for some feedback on my essay. My teacher's comment was pretty brief and just mentioned that I should concentrate more on the wider concerns of society like gothic fiction, more than the autobiographical influences of the author. Also, am I supposed to underline the name of any texts when I refer to them, aka everytime i mention Frankenstein? Any comments appreciated, thanks.
yeah, you do seem overly concerned with the autobiographical aspects of the novel.

And yes, underline texts every time you include the title. But this doesn't apply to every text. For this module, however, Frankenstein and Blade runner always need to be underlined (or italicized if using word processor, like I just did).

Also, you use the term "romanticism" wrongly in your essay. I can't be bothered to explain what it really means, but it doesn't wholly refer to love. Find another term.

But do include the term Romanticism (with its appropriate meaning) - cause it relates to Mary Shelley's context and values quite significantly.

I hope this helps.

4theHSC

HSC
damn you already wrote an essay... I just started reading the damn thing!

youngminii

Banned
HSC
It said 'Discuss', not 'construct and support a specific argument' or w/e.
Also, too much storytelling, not enough essay writing.
Tough love

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Hmmm you don't really have distinct points that you are trying to make. A lot of the essay was discussing her life rather than the text itself, in turn your essay has no real thread of argument and if you want to access the top bands you will have to discuss HOW points which is difficult with the amount of autobiographical stuff you have.

Like any essay you should structure it with key issues you want to raise, you are sort of all over the place with that.
In my assessment task which was an essay similar to this about BR as well I raised 2 key points:

- THE PRICE OF PROGRESS:
occurrences at the time- link it to the text using specific quotes and techniques:
Mary Shelley lived in a time of great scientific discovery. The “spark” of life which Victor uses to animate the monster alludes to experiments in Galvanism of the late 18th Century.
Refer to the sensibility of the enlightenment (valued knowledge and reason through rational thought). This sensibility is reflected in the character of Victor Frankenstein.
Now the concerns associated with this:
Scientific progress isn't really shown as a bad thing in the text, although the possibilities can be dangerous and this was a concern of Mary Shelley's society and also of Mary Shelley herself.
There are some great quotes where Victor is characterised as obsessive in his quest. For example the repetition of "one thought, one conception, one purpose".
Finish up with something like:
Mary Shelley suggests that although science is a valuable thing the possibilities of pursuing it obsessively must be monitored closely.

- THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE CREATED AND CREATOR:
Victor rejects his responsibility of the creator and in turn faces the consequences (quotes from creation scene and the meeting in the mountains)
The monster is dehumanised and abandoned by Victor.
Mary Shelley challenges the Romantic Movement through this. THE ROMANTIC MOVEMENT VALUED OPTIMISM AND IDEALISM. THEY BELIEVED THAT NATURE CAN INSPIRE AWE AND THROUGH THIS THE IMAGINATION CAN BE USED TO CHANGE THE WORLD. It is NOT related to actual romance... Anyways she suggests that even our imaginations and inner desires can go terribly wrong- the experiment reflects this (quotes from when the monster first came to see Victor after he was created).
Mary Shelley draws on her own childhood without a mother and with a bitch step mum (don't say that in an essay haha) to communicate her belief that a creator should fulfill their role to a creation and also her longing for companionship as a child.

Ok that should give you a bit more direction, jeez that took a while to write.

flett

HSC
did you just get this straight off a site?

maybe its just me beg an idiot but i typed you 1st line into google and it came up on a website?

terminator69

HSC
did you just get this straight off a site?

maybe its just me beg an idiot but i typed you 1st line into google and it came up on a website?
Nah, I wrote this myself. It looks like someone has just published it to another site.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, it appears someone named "Ibrahim" uploaded your paper on May 5th, 2009 to that other site. Bad luck. Fucking leechers.

But comments for your essay:
- Never have entire paragraphs of context. Try to integrate within quotes/techniques.
- You need a lot more textual references (quotes), and techniques, as well as how these techniques portray the ideas and themes in your essay.
- You need to identify key themes in Frankenstein, ie what Sarah182 said above.

Last edited:

terminator69

HSC
Yeah, it appears someone named "Ibrahim" uploaded your paper on May 5th, 2009 to that other site. Bad luck. Fucking leechers.
Not a great loss. It feels like ages ago that I wrote this essay and it looks pretty bad even to me. Sadly almost every paragraph mentions the author, which really limits the exploration of different contexts.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Just thought I'd say that the essay which someone plagiarised off you has been removed from that site.

reboulle

HSC
Firstly, you do need to underline the name of the text.
In your essay there is too much of a focus on the personal context of Shelley. You need to discuss more contextual facts- the main issue here is towards the Romantic Era. Find the dominant notions that society was concerned about at that time. A search into Wikipedia will help you with that.

Secondly, you need specific evidence from the text. This is crucial- teachers like it when you do this. Find quotes that are relevant to the question and discuss them in reference to techniques they have, showing how they are a product of the time the book was written in. Each paragraph should raise a new point with a quote.
Hope this helps.

herp derp

HSC
You have a terrible teacher if they read it and didn't even help you out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)