Commerce/Arts at USyd or UNSW (1 Viewer)

FFChopin

HSC
Hi, just asking for some opinions as to which university to choose for Com/Arts. While I largely prefer USyd due to its location, the strong reputation of its arts faculty and the general atmosphere of the campus, it takes a whole year longer (5yrs) to finish than the same degree at UNSW (4yrs) - one year too long in my opinion. Is there a way to take extra subjects and finish in reduced time at USyd?

Sunners

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm in a similar dilemma, I'm considering which one in 2014. At the moment I'm leaning towards USyd as
- I'd be the 3rd generation in my family to attend (Although a couple of my family have gone to UNSW)
- Easier to get to from my place
- Although Commerce at UNSW may be better, to nowhere near the same degree as arts at USyd is better than UNSW (Having gone to info days, met a couple of lecturers from both universities and speaking to some friends who go to both)

ashi9025

HSC
N/A
Speaking from my experience, a commerce degree is really the same no matter which uni you attend in our country, esp. when we're talking about undergrad. Whilst in countries like US in which an undergrad Business degree from an Ivy league college will give you significant advantage in employment, it is highly unlikely an employer in Australia will throw your resume in the bin because you obtained your Commerce degree from Usyd rather than UNSW, or vice versa. I'd rather focus on doing well and getting a D average, as well as involve myself in numerious extra-curricular activities to boost my chance of employment.

As for the Arts degree, I can't speak from experience as I don't have an Arts degree but it sounds like Usyd is better for you due to ease of transportation.

J18134

HSC
Go UNSW as their commerce faculty is amongst the best in the country.

wndid

HSC
Do NOT ignore the extra travel time.
I'm at Usyd atm and went to UNSW for 2yrs but that extra 30-40 minutes travel time saved is criminally underrated imo..
Concentration levels deteriorated for me during my time at unsw and i blame the extra travel.

froogle

HSC
N/A
UNSW will get a tram which is being built from 2014 but until then expect a 15-20 min extra bus trip from central station.
TBH you won't find much of a difference accedemically as both are very good unis.
People tend to like UNSW better for their better for the student life but if this isn't important to you then it really doesn't matter which one you choose.
The real question you have to ask yourself is if UNSW is really worth the extra travel time 4 times per week. If not then Sydney is a perfectly good uni to go to.
NB: USYD ATAR requirements may also be higher for the same reason (convenient to get to thus making it a more attractive choice for many).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)