commerce/arts - Sydney VS New South (1 Viewer)

rhapsody_75

anyone got any info on the differences between these? i havent done maths for a while, and am doing all arts for the hsc --getting seriously bored of them all. so im really keen to get back into maths-type subjects, do bridging courses and all that. ive heard that new south's is less maths orientated than sydney...??:rolleyes:

Ducky

hey
I'm doing commerce/arts at UNSW (english for arts) and for maths, i do QMA which is just financial mathematics...some new concepts but i think it's fairly straight forward.

I think the arts, especially the school of english, is very good at UNSW.

Ducky

I heard it was better in comparison with other schools such as politics and modern language...these people also do english so yeah.

sorry Asquithian if my post was in poor taste. tsk tsk

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
What happened to the "Commerce/Arts - Macq"?! :p :) :D

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I thought the arts was better at sydney?
commerce is better at UNSW....I guess i'd base my decision like this: If i wanna focus on commerce, go UNSW, or focus on the arts, go Sydney

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by MinAi
I thought the arts was better at sydney?
commerce is better at UNSW....I guess i'd base my decision like this: If i wanna focus on commerce, go UNSW, or focus on the arts, go Sydney
... And if you want to enjoy life, go to Macq! :p :D :)

rhapsody_75

ok...well i was thinking of french as arts major....?
i hadnt considered macq for anything to be honest. i feels such a long way away...but i guess it isnt in reality...what's the course like?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by flyin'
... And if you want to enjoy life, go to Macq!
I should clarify ... the above is true - if and only if you don't do Actuarial Studies! :(
Originally posted by MinAi
at the expense of?
Expense?! Nothing ... just that future employers might have a few WRONG preconceptions ... but other than that ... NO EXTRA EXPENSE! :p

timmii

sporadic attendee
hehe interesting point, at usyd ppl call it arts/commerce :rolleyes: ;) :p

I'm doing commerce at usyd - and its pretty good. I'm enjoying it far more than any of my unsw counterparts, but that may be just my personality. I think usyd may have a more active campus as well, although unsw has resonate... :p

Ultimately, the courses are much of a muchness, go where the external factors will make you happiest! :D

rhapsody_75

im just worried about the maths side really. seeing as i havent done anything within school for the past few years. at the moment thats been the major deciding factor between the courses, but im not so sure now that ive had a look at the arts subjects available with this course at unsw....

timmii

sporadic attendee
In terms of maths, there are plenty of bridging courses. Usyd also has a "learning centre". which the econometrics teachers keep asking people to go to if they are having any problems with the maths aspects.

A knowledge of calculus is definitely helpful, but nothing has really been formally tested, and if you didn't understand calculus you could probably still follow most things - its statistics. I get confused in the logic and application of what we learn, rather than the underlyng mathematical concepts.

Economics has had some mathematical factors, but they've been an adjunct to the course rather than a core component, i.e the lecturer would say "for those of you who understand maths, this can be proven by...." but it would not be tested. A lot of people are doing eco as part of an arts degree, so it really depends what aspects of "commerce" interest you enough to choose the double degree.

As was previously mentioned, economics as a social science is becoming really popular as a degree as well. Its basically a degree that allows you to do things like economics, world history, political economy, a language even as well as any more commercey units (i.e metrics etc..) which may appeal.

Anyway, good luck with the decision - you still have heaps of time, so research as much as you can :)

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by rhapsody_75
ok...well i was thinking of french as arts major....?
French is an excellent choice of language to study :)

Originally posted by timmii

Ultimately, the courses are much of a muchness, go where the external factors will make you happiest! :D
Very true, UNSW's superior commerce rep has not been borne out by the lecturers :rolleyes:. All the UNSW commerce people know who I mean! I ended up choosing between UNSW and USyd by taking the one 10 mins from home :p

I don't think you should have to worry very much about maths, the maths in commerce at UNSW is quite basic and the application is quite immediate. Most importantly, commerce maths requires almost no intuition . You don't need much in the way of critical thinking skill, you just learn the method and apply it ad nauseam. As timmii said it's the application that poses difficulties.

rhapsody_75

:) yea french is good. hate learning at school, love using it.

my sister speaks quite well and a significant portion of her friends are french - including her ex. we dont speak much in french though, despite the fact im living with her, because she didnt move back to australia until this year, by which time id lost so much of the french id learnt on exchange. im now pretty average at it and have fairly crap vocab. think its also got to do with the fact that i dont work because i really dont find answering "dit moi un peu de toi" "et tes copines maintenant?" to a tape particularly inspiring lol. 3U's a little more interesting. about unemployment and social issues.

id like to do an exchange. i have a close friend who lives near nice. been on exchange twice now and never ended up anywhere near him - actually on a cow farm in brittany. **so cold!** lol

i know i have plenty of time, but i figured id ask people here seeing as our careers advisor is always so busy with everyone else but year 12 lol

on maths...well i never got to calculus. what with living in other countries i wasnt here much, and also had a bit of a dislocated education in that all the syllabyses were constructed quite differently. so really, i havent done maths in any serious way...oh for an embarrassingly long time. im interested in it though, but this could be because ive had such an overwhelming deluge of arts for ages now. lol

anyone here do languages?

rhapsody_75

ok just had a look over my post. reckon "lol" is the word of the day. :rolleyes:

anyone seen "pay it forward" ? i saw it the other night. its *soo* good and its got that little kid from sixth sense in it.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by rhapsody_75
[B id lost so much of the french id learnt on exchange. im now pretty average at it and have fairly crap vocab. think its also got to do with the fact that i dont work because i really dont find answering "dit moi un peu de toi" "et tes copines maintenant?" to a tape particularly inspiring lol. 3U's a little more interesting. about unemployment and social issues.[/B]
I did 2U and 3U last year, I actually found both parts of the course rather dull at times because the standard wasn't very high :p. But since you've been on exchange, you probably won't be as nervous as I was in the oral exam :).

id like to do an exchange. i have a close friend who lives near nice. been on exchange twice now and never ended up anywhere near him - actually on a cow farm in brittany. **so cold!** lol
Interesting place to go on exchange too :p! I'm thinking about doing an exchage through the uni, might have to some begging around the law faculty though because I doubt I can get an equivalent course.

. so really, i havent done maths in any serious way...oh for an embarrassingly long time. im interested in it though, but this could be because ive had such an overwhelming deluge of arts for ages now. lol
Doing 4u maths did make me keener to do French :p. I think maths at uni won't stres you too much, there's a huge amount of support (at UNSW anyway) for people who are struggling with the maths in commerce.

rhapsody_75

kini mini - just realised that you're responding to the post ive got up in the sydney section too. *seen the deja vu skit in montey python? lol*
:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)