Commerce at Usyd (or Commerce/Law at Macquarie) (1 Viewer)

samcase

HSC
Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask if it would be a better choice to do JUST commerce at Sydney university or combined law at macq. I didn't get an atar of 99+ so doubt I'll be able to transfer into combined law at usyd. But regardless, would having a double degree be more beneficial when it comes to employment? I don't want to become a lawyer though..?
My family's financial situation isn't so great either so I want to work as soon as I graduate - b com @ usyd being 3 yrs, bcom/llb @ macq 5 yrs

Thanks,
Sam C.

samcase

HSC
I didn't mean to rule UNSW out completely. I hear it's the best university in Sydney for commerce (that's what many of my commerce studying friends have said...)
So regardless of which uni (Usyd or UNSW - both are Go8), would a single commerce degree at either be better than a combined commerce & law degree at Macquarie university in terms of employment?
I am only doing law for my own benefit (to KNOW the law...not to practise it)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Uhh, yeah - the ASB @ UNSW if I recall correctly is the best Commerce school in Australia. They are ranked #1 or something, if I recall what they said at their welcome correctly.

And to your query, Commerce/Law will get you places. The more degrees - usually - the better. So yes, Comm/Law will be better than just plain Commerce - because the Law will show I suppose different skills and also show you are more well rounded.

XTsquared

HSC
Uhh, yeah - the ASB @ UNSW if I recall correctly is the best Commerce school in Australia. They are ranked #1 or something, if I recall what they said at their welcome correctly.
Those rankings are based off MBA results, nothing to do with undergraduate degrees. I'd argue (based wholly on the somewhat flawed idea that Higher ATAR cutoff = Better course) that Sydney has a better Commerce course than UNSW (given that USYD does not provide any bonus points, UNSW does).

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Those rankings are based off MBA results, nothing to do with undergraduate degrees. I'd argue (based wholly on the somewhat flawed idea that Higher ATAR cutoff = Better course) that Sydney has a better Commerce course than UNSW (given that USYD does not provide any bonus points, UNSW does).
I think we're talking about different rankings - because I recall they were specifically talking about undergraduate degrees. Must've been ranked by employers or something.

And UNSW > Sydney from Good Uni Guide. End thread.

XTsquared

HSC
Good Uni Guide is terrible. From my own research, I've come to the conclusion Syd> UNSW, must have differing opinions then.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Terrible because? Sydney is rated essentially "crap" by them.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm sorry, not all of us choose which uni we go to based upon where a particular girl went.

And secondly, of course UNSW Business would say they're better - it's not as if you rock up at your orientation and they go: "yeah, we're shit, them other lot are better".

That's not to say I believe USyd is better, but just picking flaws in Shadowdude's rather erroneous and biased assumptions.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm sorry, not all of us choose which uni we go to based upon where a particular girl went.

And secondly, of course UNSW Business would say they're better - it's not as if you rock up at your orientation and they go: "yeah, we're shit, them other lot are better".

That's not to say I believe USyd is better, but just picking flaws in Shadowdude's rather erroneous and biased assumptions.
If I was going to pick my uni on where a particular girl went, my university would be Wollongong.

And they can't lie. Besides, what they said seemed to back up what I had heard and read about their programs.

XTsquared

HSC
Government stuff, their own university, graduate surveys. It's all in the guide.
All biased. Anyway, not going to argue with you about "your own research" as you say in other threads. I base my research from other places then a university ranking website and choosing to do a commerce course because of a girl. Sozbud.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
How is it biased? If the students say it's crap - then you can be 99% sure already, that it's crap.

And I did Commerce partially because of that girl. She made me think "Hey, I can combine my current degree with Commerce! Why not? I have good memories of it from Year 10".

pimpinerd

HSC
All biased. Anyway, not going to argue with you about "your own research" as you say in other threads. I base my research from other places then a university ranking website and choosing to do a commerce course because of a girl. Sozbud.
what do you base your research on oh wise one?

surveys are pretty much the only way you can evaluate teaching quality

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I think pimpinerd was referring to 'own university' stuff. Of course they're going to say they're the best. Have Myer and DJs ever said that the other is better?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I was so happy when in my accounting at UNSW they skipped that stupid history of accounting chapter...

samcase

HSC
Thanks trevhk! Yeah kind of interested in the stockmarket and have heard that studying law is recommended.

a037422944

HSC
Uni Grad
I was so happy when in my accounting at UNSW they skipped that stupid history of accounting chapter...
i dont knwo what the old threads on here are talking about? theres no history of accounting at usyd?
there was literally about 5 minutes on it in the final lecture and no tutorial/examinable stuff?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)