Commerce Degrees (1 Viewer)

Miffy

I keep changing my mind as what I want to study next year at uni but I am pretty set now on wanting to do a commerce degree. What I want to know is though, how much maths is involved as I have only done general would I be able to cope with it?

The majors/minors I'm mostly interested in are business law, human resource management, management, marketing or industrial relations. If anyone who does any of these would be able to give me an idea about them that would be great.

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Forget about math first and work your ass off in the HSC just to get into Commerce at USYD or UNSW, or you can do moderate work and goto UoW or UWS which offer very decent commerce degrees !!

Theres minimal math involved if you dont want to major in accounting or finance ~~ theres lot of people who did general math and are now doin commerce.

haz_it_all

hey im doin a business degree which is pretty much same as comm degree........the maths isnt that bad, hardly any, except for in statistics and the exams are open book anyways, u jus gotta kno how to use the formulas etc.

BusLaw is soooo boring but im not that type of person, heaps of ppl at uni actually like it so each to their own i guess

Good luk

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Maths is only really required in first year for commerce degrees (as part of core subjects)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
i don't really think there are much maths involved in the commerce subjects that i am doing atm... perhaps i am doin an easy subject - accounting - but a decent mark in 2u or 3u will cope you well for what i am doing so far...

and reflecting on what people have argued, now i don't really think there are much difference in choosing usyd/ unsw over other unis... grade and other qualities are much more important than the uni you are in...

uhm... i would like to go to uts tho, cuz in usyd, i had to run all dayz... majorly not fun... =(

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Maths is pretty much irrelevant as long as you can do basic Yr10 advanced algebra and probability..... A lot of people doing commerce only did General Maths so thats not a concern.

UOW has a very solid commerce degree and maths isn't a mjaor focus unless you're doing finance and is very flexible in the methods of study and majors/minors.

Miffy

Thanx for the imput everyone so far.

Yeah I was mainly interested in the UOW degree as I don't think I can get the UAI for commerce at USYD or UNSW. From what I've heard and read UOW does seem to have a pretty good degree. What i'm also worried about though is... is it true that doing it at UOW won't give me as good of a chance of getting a job as say it would if you did it at USYD or UNSW?

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Not at all, UOW has one of the highest graduate employment rates of all universities. Commerce at UOW is great and it gives plenty of opportunities for cadetships and it has a top notch graduate recruitment scheme so you should have a problem getting a job upon graduation at UOW.

Miffy

Wow that sounds good! Yeah when I went there for discovery day this year, I went to a 'student to student' lecture thing and one of the guys was telling us about the cadetships. They sound excellent.

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Concentrate on your study, you can always change ur prefrences after you recieve your UAI!!

santaslayer

HSC
UOW offers one of da BEST commerce degrees.....just check the emplyment figures......i think it was 92%? :D

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Originally posted by Snapwizard
Concentrate on your study, you can always change ur prefrences after you recieve your UAI!!
Very true.

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
UOW offers one of da BEST commerce degrees.....just check the emplyment figures......i think it was 92%? :D
92? :eek:

92% is low?

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by LaZy_KoReAn
92? :eek:

92% is low?
(i think)......thats what it said last time i i remember correctly.....

well yes, it IS low if you are in the 8% statistic lazy korean! *cough* like sum people might be...:p

on the bright side.......engineering and law have 100% employment at UOW!

engineering refers to all types! it was published just recently in our newletter!

NOTE: UNSW law has 8% unemployment.....would u say thats crap?

saves.the.day

HSC
Originally posted by Raiks
Not at all, UOW has one of the highest graduate employment rates of all universities. Commerce at UOW is great and it gives plenty of opportunities for cadetships and it has a top notch graduate recruitment scheme so you should have a problem getting a job upon graduation at UOW.
Yes this is completley true. Pick up a copy of the good universities index and you'll find statistics. Alternatively, you can go to the UOW website and read about each course and it does mention the employment statistics for graduates. For law degrees, 100% were employed first year for UOW grads.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
in fact... now that i think of it, despite being more famous, there are little advantage for going to big name unis... but then agian, i cna't complain... i am in usyd myself...

i would think the course structure would be similar if not the same, but then it depends on if u put more emphasis on ur uni's reputation vs the locality and other advantageous aspects...

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Originally posted by xiao1985
in fact... now that i think of it, despite being more famous, there are little advantage for going to big name unis...
Thats about it.... the most important part of tertiary education is fulfilled by both the big name uni's and those smaller more regional ones... you get that certificate saying you've attained a qualification.

TheKey

HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
on the bright side.......engineering and law have 100% employment at UOW!

engineering refers to all types! it was published just recently in our newletter!

NOTE: UNSW law has 8% unemployment.....would u say thats crap?
i wouldnt trust statistics too much, imagine i finish my degree and get a job at McDonalds or something... i would guess 20-30% of graduates actually get 'proper' (related to their degree, working for some company) jobs at the end of their degree for something like engineering.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
I wouldn't say that at all.... there are huge amount of engineering firms around, so engineering is probably one of the easiest to get a job in.... It is possible to find jobs for companys which aren't multinational corporations remember. My nextdoor neighbour graduated last year with a B.Eng and is now earning 70k a year designing conveyor belts for a company....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)