Commerce Degrees (1 Viewer)

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by TheKey
i wouldnt trust statistics too much, imagine i finish my degree and get a job at McDonalds or something... i would guess 20-30% of graduates actually get 'proper' (related to their degree, working for some company) jobs at the end of their degree for something like engineering.
As one of the moderators have already said in another forum, these statistics are REAL because the respective unis take time in mailing question sheets to graduates asking them about their employment situation. They also take time in ensuring that this information is real! and whats more, flipping burgers at burger king isn't counted!

NOTE: i forgot which MOD said it but im probably famous for quoting people by now! :p

TheKey

HSC
"Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that" Homer

nah but seriously one of our family friends daughter did comp science and after finishing the degree got a job as a typist. I remember reading in the good uni guide the job % was shown to epresent jobs overall, then in a seperate section was narrowed to private and public sectors...btw is a private sector when u make ur own business? Oh and i remember looking at some UTS jobs site which showed what kind of companies emplyed their students and what possitions were given...Like there was a disturbing amount of 'technician' jobs given to the students who compleated a elec/mech engineering degree, this is what scares me.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Private Sector - Private Companies such as ABC Pty Ltd, BHP, ANZ etc.
Public Sector - Government etc.

And graduates just don't get to walk into superduper jobs with all the perks and pay and such.... they begin where most people do when new to a career, at the bottom with all the other shitkickers :D

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
i heard most uni gradz eventually undertake career opportunity that is unrelated to their uni undergrad degree...

but then again.... infuture, demands will shift and there's no tellin which industry will require more people... years ago, there's an urge need of it pro's... now it industry is almost saturated, and u can hardly get a job with it qualifications... even if u can, u need to be winnin at ever increasingly fierce competition of it pros...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by santaslayer
UOW offers one of da BEST commerce degrees.....just check the emplyment figures......i think it was 92%? :D
That's pretty good, considering UNSW is at the top with 96% employment (but with probably twice the number of students at UOW)
UOW stats seem on par with that of Sydney Uni for commerce

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
whats the UAI for Commerce at USYD?
Hopefully employment wont be taken by the commerce/law people!

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Yes, at UOW, you have to complete 'core' subjects including introductions to marketing, accounting, economics, management and finance, and you can choose your major afterwards or whenever you like and you can change your majors/minors simply by filling in a form and handing it to admin.

It may vary for other unis so its best that someone from another uni explain their system.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah at all uni's you have to do core subjects in first year, but UOW and UTS have a more broad range of first year compulsory courses
If its any disadvantage, at UNSW our core subjects are only in Accounting, Economics and Quantitative methods/statistics - if you wanted to try marketing, HRM, info sys or something, you'd need to take it as a first year elective

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)