Commerce/Economics degree and career help? (1 Viewer)

Simorgh

HSC
What are the main differences between a bachelor of economics and commerce? And if I did pick economics, I heard its harder to find a job and overall there are limited jobs whereas Commerce there is more of a variety of jobs available in multiple fields? For Economics apparently it highly recommended to do honours, another year of Uni..

In a summary what exactly is basically taught in each of the degrees? Some people also tell me doing Economics at Uni is useless as you already study micro and macro topics in a Commerce degree. As you can see I really have no idea...

I spent time looking at degree outlines on Uni sites its left me even more confused. I have a meeting with a Career person at the end of the week and don't have a set goal on what I want to do at uni, so I am trying to keep my options open at the moment. Some days I feel like wanting to do engineering, teaching and some other things.

I am also keen on combining my degree with Arts in particular International Relations. Will Economics or Commerce fit more with that?

Last edited:

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
afaik you can basically do an economics degree in commerce if you so wish, but not vice versa
that's why commerce has a higher atar requirement - you have more freedom to do whatever subjects (including eco)
economics is easier to get into, but you are limited to doing basically economics

edit: slight correction, you can actually do other stuff in an eco degree but you are forced to do an economics core major, and anything else you have to fit around it, whereas in commerce you have a bigger choice of core majors which include alot of the economics ones

Commerce Core Majors (at USYD)
Accounting
Business Analytics
Business Information Systems
Commercial Law
Econometrics
Economics
Finance
Industrial Relations and Human Resource Management
International Business
Management
Marketing

Core majors for Economics (also at USYD)
Agricultural Economics
Econometrics
Economics
Environmental and Resource Economics
Financial Economics

so you see there is overlap, but a lot more choice in commerce
optional majors are basically a free for all in both

Last edited:

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
afaik you can basically do an economics degree in commerce if you so wish, but not vice versa
that's why commerce has a higher atar requirement - you have more freedom to do whatever subjects (including eco)
economics is easier to get into, but you are limited to doing basically economics

edit: slight correction, you can actually do other stuff in an eco degree but you are forced to do an economics core major, and anything else you have to fit around it, whereas in commerce you have a bigger choice of core majors which include alot of the economics ones

Accounting
Business Analytics
Commercial Law
Econometrics
Economics
Finance
International Business
Management
Marketing

Agricultural Economics
Econometrics
Economics
Financial Economics

shoulda mentioned UNSW, coz UNSW > USYD

Simorgh

HSC

Accounting
Business Analytics
Commercial Law
Econometrics
Economics
Finance
International Business
Management
Marketing

Agricultural Economics
Econometrics
Economics
Financial Economics

Ok so when do you start choosing ur majors for Commerce? Do choose it straightaway when you start the first year of ur degree? Or can you choose them much later in the degree?

Also how many majors are you allowed to do in a Commerce degree? Thinking of doing Commerce/Arts, like one major from Arts and 2 majors from Commerce? Is it possible to do 3 majors with this combined degree?

asi9

HSC
At UNSW, an economics degree means you have to major in Economics, Econometrics or Financial Economics. BCom is more flexible and you can major in anything.

Career wise, no huge difference - B.Econ. with honours lets you work at the RBA, while leaving majority of the other common graduate roles open (banking, consulting).

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Ok so when do you start choosing ur majors for Commerce? Do choose it straightaway when you start the first year of ur degree? Or can you choose them much later in the degree?

Also how many majors are you allowed to do in a Commerce degree? Thinking of doing Commerce/Arts, like one major from Arts and 2 majors from Commerce? Is it possible to do 3 majors with this combined degree?
you don't really pick majors, you just have to fufill the requirements by doing all the requisite subjects

I *think* typically you only do a double major if standalone commerce, and 1 from each for a double degree due to time constraints

but i could be wrong leelele

Kolmias

HSC
If you aren't sure what you want to do, just do Commerce.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Simorgh,

How passionate are you for commerce/economics?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)