Commerce/Economics double degree at UNSW or USYD? (1 Viewer)

kevindebruyne

HSC
Hello, I'm considering pursuing a commerce/economics double degree, however not sure which institution to study at. Was wondering if one uni has a better reputation for this degree than the other. Are there any certain 'perks' which are available in one uni but not the other, such as IPP for USYD?

Travel time is not an issue for me.

Any thoughts are welcome!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I don’t believe there is a significant difference (if any) in degree/program reputation between USyd and UNSW. Both universities offer degrees/programs that are generally regarded as very good.

Regarding work opportunities, such as internships, UNSW offers opportunities that are equivalent to USyd's Industry Placement Program. For instance, consider UNSW's Industry Experience Program (COMM2222), which is a course that you may be able to complete as part of your program. This course combines practical work experience with academic workshops and formal assessment tasks throughout the term, which can subsequently allow you to seek and undertake further opportunities. Additional information can be accessed using the following link:

Further, it is worth noting that students may not necessarily undertake work experience through a particular scheme that is offered by a university. Some students may choose to seek such opportunities themselves and can be successful at doing so, provided that they submit strong applications, which can only occur if their academic position (i.e. results + WAM) are favourable. Depending on the particular opportunity that is being sought, previous work experience may also be beneficial.

Another factor that you should consider is program structure. This is to do with both the structure of the double degree program that you intend to study (i.e. how units are structured, including order and mode of delivery) and the way through which students progress through their degrees/programs. As you may already be aware, USyd uses a semester system (similar to most universities) while UNSW uses a trimester system. This presents an effect on the number of units that you can complete each year in addition to other aspects of being a university student, such as the dates and length of your holidays.

I hope this helps! :D

kevindebruyne

HSC
I don’t believe there is a significant difference (if any) in degree/program reputation between USyd and UNSW. Both universities offer degrees/programs that are generally regarded as very good.

Regarding work opportunities, such as internships, UNSW offers opportunities that are equivalent to USyd's Industry Placement Program. For instance, consider UNSW's Industry Experience Program (COMM2222), which is a course that you may be able to complete as part of your program. This course combines practical work experience with academic workshops and formal assessment tasks throughout the term, which can subsequently allow you to seek and undertake further opportunities. Additional information can be accessed using the following link:

Further, it is worth noting that students may not necessarily undertake work experience through a particular scheme that is offered by a university. Some students may choose to seek such opportunities themselves and can be successful at doing so, provided that they submit strong applications, which can only occur if their academic position (i.e. results + WAM) are favourable. Depending on the particular opportunity that is being sought, previous work experience may also be beneficial.

Another factor that you should consider is program structure. This is to do with both the structure of the double degree program that you intend to study (i.e. how units are structured, including order and mode of delivery) and the way through which students progress through their degrees/programs. As you may already be aware, USyd uses a semester system (similar to most universities) while UNSW uses a trimester system. This presents an effect on the number of units that you can complete each year in addition to other aspects of being a university student, such as the dates and length of your holidays.

I hope this helps! :D
Thanks Jimmy! Appreciate the help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)