Commerce/Economics HELP!! (1 Viewer)

countnigel

HSC
Hey

I have noticed that it is possible to do a Commerce/Economics degree at UNSW that allows you to take a language as a second major in the Commerce degree. I personally really want to go to ANU have looked around the ANU website however it doesn't appear that you can do a language as part of Commerce/Economics. Ideally I am looking at Economics, Finance and French as majors...

Is it possible to do so??

Cheers

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
You can do:

1. B Arts (major in French)
2. B Econ
3. B Commerce (Finance) or B Finance

Pick 2. Any other disciplines you wish to do will need to be done as electives and thus won't be formally accredited as your degree.

Klinit

HSC
Hey that's not actually completely true - I'd contact a careers advisor at ANU's College of Business and Economics. Because Economics, commerce and Finance have significant overlap you are allowed to take up to 6 (or 8? I'm not sure) out-of-college classes if you do a combined Commerce/Econ (and I think the same applies for Econ/Finance). I know people doing Commerce/Econ doing languages - it doesn't "count" as a "major" as such, but when it comes to languages I'd say how well you can use the skills matters more than whether or not you have a "major" - you would have to do a finance major in commerce,just economics in economics (they don't have majors) and then x units of French.

Heads up on the French program at ANU - I think it is nothing short of brilliant - I have never had such good french teachers or such an interesting variety of content (it's a lot of work, but I feel it's very much worth it!)

Sammy-Blue

HSC
Hey that's not actually completely true - I'd contact a careers advisor at ANU's College of Business and Economics. Because Economics, commerce and Finance have significant overlap you are allowed to take up to 6 (or 8? I'm not sure) out-of-college classes if you do a combined Commerce/Econ (and I think the same applies for Econ/Finance). I know people doing Commerce/Econ doing languages - it doesn't "count" as a "major" as such, but when it comes to languages I'd say how well you can use the skills matters more than whether or not you have a "major" - you would have to do a finance major in commerce,just economics in economics (they don't have majors) and then x units of French.

Heads up on the French program at ANU - I think it is nothing short of brilliant - I have never had such good french teachers or such an interesting variety of content (it's a lot of work, but I feel it's very much worth it!)
These are called "electives" <_<

Klinit

HSC
I'm aware of that. Yet most double degrees only allow electives from the colleges you are doing your degree in - the exception is some of these double degrees offered in two economics/commerce-related disciplines. I just wanted to assure countnigel that he would get credit towards his degree for doing French even at ANU and it just wouldn't be a "major", so in effect he could do what he wanted to do at UNSW at ANU as well... no rudeness or disrespect intended with my previous post, so no need to dish it out.

HSC
hi. i want to exactly the same majors!! everyone i meet thinks that its weird to do a european language with commerce. anyways im planning on studying comm/arts at usyd b/c im not allowed to go to anu :( and i wasnt impressed with unsw arts, especially european languages... (but ive heard amazing things about anu!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)