Commerce (International) (1 Viewer)

abhi23

Coming to the Toga Party?
HSC
Hey everybody, i was looking at this course in the UNSW handbook and i just have a few questions that are still unanswered after looking through the info. I was hoping someone in the course had answers:
1) With the Overseas Exchange Program the handbook says approved regions are "Europe, Asia, North America, South America, Middle East and Oceania". Is there a specific list on the countries available? I thought you had to learn a different language so doesn't that mean USA, for example, is not an option or is it just a different cultural experience?

2) Is there a lot of competition for certain regions? Is it based on academic performance?

3) If you have already done your exchange program, how did you find it and Was it costly?

Thankyou.
:)

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
I have a friend thats in first year of this degree this year.

1. There is a list of uni's you can go to on the unsw website (search it, i can't be bothered doing it for you)

2. You have to maintain credit average. I'm not sure about competition, considering its a mandatory requirement, there cant be that much

3. I'm not sure about costs, but if you search "Commerce (International)" on this forum you can find out more about this. I think there is some sort of financial support, but you have to pay for flights and accommodation i think.

abhi23

Coming to the Toga Party?
HSC
Thankyou very much.

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
hi i am doing this course atm, and currently in first year. You have to learn the language, if the region u want to go to requires u to do so...for example uni's in france are most likely gonna be taught in french so u must learn at least 2 years of it. For me i have to learn mandarin if i want to go to china.

But, it is good experience.
As for cost, the uni needs u to show that u can provide urself AUD1800 each month. which is okay...cos if u can get into the course u automatically have a scholarship of just $2000, and also u can apply for HELP loan from govt worth around 5500 per 6months.
But yeh if u want to do it, u better be working now, or start working, to save up some money...but since i am first year, i think there are also other scholarships u can apply for.

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
i only said that...to suggest that i have started fresh...and have done all this background research...before...and is able to provide info for him...
and as for your friend...ummm i dont think so.

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
Hi, even though I'm not doing a commerce (international studies) degree, but I am currently on exchange and can answer your questions regarding exchange (as I know those that are doing an international studies degree who's also currently on exchange, and besides the $2000 and no need for credit transfers for int'l studies, everything else is about the same).

1) University of New South Wales - UNSW International - UNSW Exchange Partners, UNSW International
USA or UK or any English speaking country is still ok to apply, even with the same language, they do have a different "culture" to Australia (say for example, halloween), the website lists all exchange partners you're able to apply to. Also as an international studies student you're able to apply to other universities not listed there (where non-int'l studies students cannot), but if that is approved, you will be liable for all tuition fees of the independent university you've applied for on top of the usual UNSW fee (whereas at a partner university you have to pay only UNSW your usual tuition fee like every other semester at UNSW).

2) Yes, popular countries and pretigeous schools can get very competitive upon application. Of course as an international studies student, you will be given piority in going on exchange, but there will be no guarantee that you will be given first or even second preference (there are 4). My friend doing int'l studies was given his fourth choice where as I was given my first (so there's no real favouring int'l studies in terms of university preferences), I believe the choice is made depending on your application quality (as you will be asked to write about yourself and how much you think you will benefit from the exchange to this particular school, I did a lot of research before my application about my first preference). As for your grades, they say you need a minimum WAM of 65 and you cannot fail more than 2 subjects up until your departure, but as far as I know of, your WAM is the last thing they consider for exchange. Even with a lower WAM, if you've applied for a less popular country, with less competition, the chances are you may actually be accepted (but don't quote me on that) - it's like demand and supply for the WAM. But for B. Commerce (int'l studies), I heard that you'd be automatically transferred to just straight B. Commerce if your WAM falls too much or you fails 2+ subjects? That I'm not really sure.

3) As for this, I've only just started my exchange. However in terms of cost really depends on where you're going to. For example living in Beijing would definately be cheaper than living in Tokyo. So sometimes the 1,800 AUD per month isn't really necessary. Also upon application you can submit a plan to them about how you might earn enough for your exchange within the year as you submit the application just about a year before your departure (keep in mind if you're on Youth Allowance, you should still be able to keep on getting it if not at a higher rate when you're going on exchange- as long as you tell them within 2 weeks of your departure; Even if you're not getting it right now, you might be eligible when you leave).

Phew that was a little long, hahaha I hope I didn't bore you with all that! And I hope it helped somehow!

runnable

HSC
your WAM is the last thing they consider for exchange.
Actually, thats the opposite of what I've heard. They rank people based on their WAM and distribute them to their preferences. ie WAM is one of the if not the most important thing.

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
Actually, thats the opposite of what I've heard. They rank people based on their WAM and distribute them to their preferences. ie WAM is one of the if not the most important thing.
What you've heard?

Just so that you know, it's purely demand and supply. I know more than a few people with just a pass WAM who are on exchange to prove how unimportant it is. Also when I applied I've asked the exchange office directly about how important the WAM is as at the time I was worried my WAM may not be good enough to be nominated to any university and was told DIRECTLY that it's not important.

So where ever you've heard that it's one of the most important things for exchange, unless it's directly from the exchange office, then perhaps whoever you've heard it from doesn't know much about it either.

runnable

HSC
What you've heard?

Just so that you know, it's purely demand and supply. I know more than a few people with just a pass WAM who are on exchange to prove how unimportant it is. Also when I applied I've asked the exchange office directly about how important the WAM is as at the time I was worried my WAM may not be good enough to be nominated to any university and was told DIRECTLY that it's not important.

So where ever you've heard that it's one of the most important things for exchange, unless it's directly from the exchange office, then perhaps whoever you've heard it from doesn't know much about it either.
Well I spoke to the Exchange Coordinator and Reps for Asia/Europe as well as America/Canada. One of the first things they asked me was my WAM. I guess for non competitive placements the WAM is just a cut-off kinda thing but otherwise its competed on WAM. So you're right about supply and demand. The supply is fixed while with more people going for the more popular choices, there is tougher competition reflected by WAM.

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
Well I spoke to the Exchange Coordinator and Reps for Asia/Europe as well as America/Canada. One of the first things they asked me was my WAM. I guess for non competitive placements the WAM is just a cut-off kinda thing but otherwise its competed on WAM. So you're right about supply and demand. The supply is fixed while with more people going for the more popular choices, there is tougher competition reflected by WAM.
That or maybe they just changed it this year as more and more students are applying for exchange. So that it's easier for them to pick?

runnable

HSC
That or maybe they just changed it this year as more and more students are applying for exchange. So that it's easier for them to pick?
I don't think they changed the policy within one year :p

I guess Japan is a niche exchange destination so the competition is not that tough.

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
I don't think they changed the policy within one year :p

I guess Japan is a niche exchange destination so the competition is not that tough.
Well that is questionable since when I applied, we were the first year to not do an interview (so they changed the policy within one year there).

According to the contact information list of all outgoing students this semester, Japan is the 2nd most popular non-English speaking country (after France). So the competition isn't too little I'd imagine.

runnable

HSC
Of course. I'm not belittling your choice of exchange destination.

Changes or not, that's what I've heard from the exchange office.

Physicswawa

HSC
Hey

I was wondering that will employers recognise that this degree is a double degree? Certainly, it does only attach a fancy word after "commerce" which implies only 1 degree, but the courses from the international Studies areas of study are from the arts faculty.

So would this commerce (international) would look the same with the UTS's Business with arts in International Studies?

runnable

HSC
I don't think this degree is considered a double degree. Correct me if I'm wrong.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
Yeah i dont think its a double degree either. It's simply a commerce degree with a 1 year exchange component, which also requires you to study some arts like subjects before you go, that's it really

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Yeah i dont think its a double degree either. It's simply a commerce degree with a 1 year exchange component, which also requires you to study some arts like subjects before you go, that's it really
You're not wrong but I'd use that description for Commerce (Liberal) instead.

Commerce (International) is one degree where you study something within the international studies streams and have to go on exchange for a bit. It's also harder to get in to from what I hear.

Physicswawa

HSC
Would employers favour a double degree for commerce over a single degree such as commerce international?

leoyh

mic`
HSC
Yes, commerce international is harder to get into, the cutoff is usually around 97 and there are no bonus points available for it. That being said, double degrees would be more favoured over commerce international IMO, such as commerce/arts. You can do the same subjects as those under commerce international and you can also go on exchange too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)