Commerce (International) (1 Viewer)

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
Yes, commerce international is harder to get into, the cutoff is usually around 97 and there are no bonus points available for it. That being said, double degrees would be more favoured over commerce international IMO, such as commerce/arts. You can do the same subjects as those under commerce international and you can also go on exchange too
i agree with this guy, but i still reckon comm(intl) is better, in terms of the experience you can gain by the time you graduate, and also when you enrol into this course you already have a $2000 scholarship towards your exchange, and i reckon that it is this point, the reason why it is hard to get in.

And whats the point of double degree, if the other degree is pointless, in my opinion they are pretty much like each other. A double degree that would more favoured than this would prolly be comm/law.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
Arowana21, at times i do agree that doing a double that doesnt complement each other is a waste of time, but sometimes people want to study things outside what they intend to do in future, so i think that deserves some respect.

Comm/arts and commerce (international) are similar so i guess you can't go wrong with either. I guess the good thing about comm international is the scholarship, its 4 years and you don't have to do as many arts like electives as you would in comm/arts cause you don't have to major in anything, and comm/arts is 5 years. That being said, you can understand why employers like people who do a double degree in comm/arts.

Besides comm/law, another double degree that is really favoured would be comm/science. The best of this would be majoring in mathematics for science and majoring in finance, actuarial studies or even economics for commerce. These 2 would complement each other so well. I've also heard of other combinations that go together quite well, such as marketing or management for commerce and psychology for science.

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
just want to say a few things...

1. whoever told u it's not based mainly on WAM is joking. sure there's a demand/supply thing happening, but if it's a competitive university and you've got say 10 candidates (for e.g. 3 spots) who are have seemingly alright / good submissions, how are they going to choose? Clearly ranked on WAM.

2. com/arts and com (intern) are similar. my bf is doing com (intern) and im doing com/arts. if i could have had the chance to select what degree to do, i probably would have chosen com (intern) as i would have been able to do basically what im doing for com/arts but in a shorter time-span (4 as opposed to 5yrs) and not fill up the rest of my arts degree with electives that im not 100% interested in. but essentially, they would be both regarded on a higher level than someone graduating from a pure commerce degree obviously.

and 3. not every foreign university who's native language is not english requires the exchange student to be fluent or semi-fluent in that language ie german. it depends on whether english-taught courses are offered at that specific university (ie Bocconi in Italy, several in France) and that you would need to find out by doing some research. there exists on the contrary of course, a few that require a min. level of the foreign language but that you can find out yourself also.

Last edited:

tehrobzorz

HSC
so shox, did we're you already semi/fluent in french before you started learning it at university? like did you do it as a HSC course as well?

Im actually very very interested in this degree, cause it seems that usyd has changed theirs ..which has made me contemplate going to UNSW haha =X

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
so shox, did we're you already semi/fluent in french before you started learning it at university? like did you do it as a HSC course as well?

Im actually very very interested in this degree, cause it seems that usyd has changed theirs ..which has made me contemplate going to UNSW haha =X
If i can recall, USyd doesnt have this course semi-combined course.
Even if you have already done a language in high school, doesnt necessarily mean that they think you are capable of surviving in a foreign language country, you have to be able to show them that you are AT LEAST an intermediate level speaker and writer. I had a friend who did jap at High school, and the only benefit to that was that he could start the learning the language at the intermediate level, rather that starting again at beginners level in uni.

You should google 'UNSW exchange partners' to see whether or not all/some of the courses are taught in there local language or not.

tehrobzorz

HSC
righto, thanks aro!

mmm usyd used to have the compulsory exchange bit as part of their com.lib degree...but i dunno where it went >=(

C.C

HSC
How about if i choose international relations as int. major instead of language, shall I still can go to other countries, such as Japan???

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC

i did french beginners for yr 11/12 - but u can always start from beginners @ uni

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)