Commerce/Law at USYD or UNSW (1 Viewer)

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey all I am currently torn between choosing where to study Commerce/Law at.

I heard UNSW as a heavier emphasis on commercial law and this is what I am looking to be part of. However USYD is more convenient for me to study at and I also heard that the Law faculty is really good. So I really dont know.

any help will be highly appreciated. Please also explain why you would recommend one uni over the other. thanks

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Does it matter? Both universities are top-notch so choose any you like. Prestige doesn't mean jack for undergraduate degrees.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
does anyone know whether one of unsw or usyd is more likely to accept students under their cut off? (for comm/law)

janchanisek

Durian
HSC
Hey all I am currently torn between choosing where to study Commerce/Law at.

I heard UNSW as a heavier emphasis on commercial law and this is what I am looking to be part of. However USYD is more convenient for me to study at and I also heard that the Law faculty is really good. So I really dont know.

any help will be highly appreciated. Please also explain why you would recommend one uni over the other. thanks
I don't think there's that much of a difference especially considering its an undergraduate degree, the subjects you take are pretty much the same in both degree programs. If you want to focus on commercial law you can always choose electives in that area in your 5th year, or even do a LLM afterwards with a commercial law emphasis so i don't think that really matters.

So yeh if Usyd is more convenient for you then i say go for it! personally i can say i enjoy law at usyd (but then again i know ppl at unsw law who really like it too haha) and the usyd social life is really good too! and usyd has a nicer new law building and a lovely law library... ok i admit i may be a bit biased lol but yehh thats my advice.... i warmly invite anyone from unsw law to comment and give their views so you can make an educated and balanced decision lol =P

Does it matter? Both universities are top-notch so choose any you like. Prestige doesn't mean jack for undergraduate degrees.
I reckon it can matter for law tho, cos usyd law is much more established and has lots of connections... it does make a slight difference, but yeh generally i agree with you, usyd vs unsw isnt much difference.

does anyone know whether one of unsw or usyd is more likely to accept students under their cut off? (for comm/law)
UNSW is more likely to accept students under the cutoff. USyd combined law entry is very strict and rigid, generally speaking

mecramarathon

HSC
hey,

if you look at the gooduniversity's guide UNSW does better than USYD

but everyone in my skool seems to incline towards USYD

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Go to USyd - it sounds convenient to you, and the new Law building is freaking amazing. Air conditioned and epic.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
the unsw law building is purple and green and apparently has no right angles :)

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
just wondering what commerce major would you do with law? i am looking at doing accounting just incase i am no longer interested in the law component of the course. What are most other people doing if not already doing

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
I hear finance is a good major to combine with law. It opens heaps of doors, especially in some big investment banks and stuff.

But I'd do the common subjects fist year, and see what you like, there is no point rushing a decision.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Do commerce (business law) / law. The you would know a lot of law.

erespall

Pirate Lord.. Arrr
HSC
im trying to get into unsw for comm/law but im not gonna make the 99.55 cutoff but apparently i can make it with a 95 if i internal transfer form eco/comm

ochaguy

HSC
im trying to get into unsw for comm/law but im not gonna make the 99.55 cutoff but apparently i can make it with a 95 if i internal transfer form eco/comm
Internal transfers into Law are ridiculously hard. You'll have to work your arse off first year Uni and get at least a Distinction average. Not to mention they'll be lots of other people from other faculties wanting to do the same thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)