Commerce/law (1 Viewer)

patty4848

HSC
Hey i want to do commerce/law at uow. If anyone does that now, or anything combined with commerce, can you please tell me how many hours are involved a week at uni? Also, can i do a double major in the commerce degree even if it is a combined degree? Anything else (personal opinions) would be great. Thanks

HSC
neither commerce nor law are courses with heavy contact hours and expect to do a lot of work outside it. you're probably looking at 12-16 hours per week (assuming youre doing 4 subjects per semester) but yeah a lot of reading when youre not in class.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Yeah. What you have to realise is that a double degree doesn't include more contact hours but a longer degree. Typically for a commerce/law, you'll be looking at 14-18 hours with Law taking up most of that. Commerce subjects tend to fall into the '2-3 hours of lectures + 1 hour of tutorials' whereas Law is very seminar based which has '3-4' hours of class time but also a lot of readings at home/library.

star*eyed

HSC
Also another bit of info u might want to know. If u do a commerce/ law degree...u can only do law in ur first year, thats just how they do it at wollongong. I currently have about 12hrs of uni a week...thats first year.
But expect to do heaps of reading at home.

patty4848

HSC
Thanks for your replies guys!
I seem to be heading towards commerce/law...heaps of reading at home isn't a problem for me, i don't mind doing that sorta thing.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Just make sure you join the LSS and get yourself to ALSA '08. This years ALSA (Australian Law Students Association conference) was absolutely massive with UOW massively enhancing it's reputation in comparison to all the other universities.

deathxawaits

HSC
Hey...I was just wondering, do you guys know if there are any prerequisites for accounting at uow?

HSC
like without wings said in the other thread, 2u english is the assumed knowledge for b commerce (accounting major)

deathxawaits

HSC
Hey, thank you. I was getting worried because I chosen general maths, and thought I may need 2u maths for accounting, and I know accounting is all maths, I just think I'd do better in general.

HSC
deathxawaits said:
Hey, thank you. I was getting worried because I chosen general maths, and thought I may need 2u maths for accounting, and I know accounting is all maths, I just think I'd do better in general.

accounting's not all maths. well not hard maths anyway. it's just collecting a whole lot of data, putting it all together and being able to interpret/communicate that data (i'm no expert, but thats kinda the jist). maybe statistics, looking at data and that kinda thing but that's a whole different story anyway. you learn more stats in general maths and besides, in first year commerce they have a core subject dedicated to covering the stats/maths side of things anyway.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
finance probably has more maths then accounting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)